Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-03-2018, 19:15
Builder of routine

I miss all the b-sides too but at least there won't be any "why the fuck wasn't this on the album" stress
Old 23-03-2018, 20:07
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Interested to know, but do people prefer this kind of release compared to what we've been used to in the past i.e. hearing all of the "singles" first before hearing the album in full?
Last few times before National Treasures it was always first single then album week after.
This album is the first time three songs have been heard instead of second or third single.
They didn't invent the trend, but it could work.
Especially as some of their contemporaries chart lower sticking with the fist single then album approach.
Not going to jinx it, but I knew they secretly condone the horror of blood sacrificails!
Old 24-03-2018, 14:38
I live to fall asleep

What are the chances the Manics can get a No.1 album? I know they've come close with the last bunch of albums in the last decade, few No.2 and No.3 placings, but that top spot always escapes them. Guess it depends on how much promotion connects with people to buy it. If I didn't actively look up for Manics stuff or come on here then I'd have no idea about a new album or three singles already out. They need a good few TV appearances I think to reach a wider audience of casual fans.
Old 24-03-2018, 14:56
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
What are the chances the Manics can get a No.1 album? I know they've come close with the last bunch of albums in the last decade, few No.2 and No.3 placings, but that top spot always escapes them. Guess it depends on how much promotion connects with people to buy it. If I didn't actively look up for Manics stuff or come on here then I'd have no idea about a new album or three singles already out. They need a good few TV appearances I think to reach a wider audience of casual fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl45 View Post
no leaked yet
If International Blue gets the most exposure on the TV it could help better.
The alignment in 1998 must be back in 2018.
If they don't do it with this one they never will again! There. Jinxed perpetual.
Radio1 etc ignore them, but R2, Absolute Radio older crowd are in greater numbers (it is great 15 year olds get into the Manics, but it's because they haven't targeted them specifically) and from posts about non board members International Blue has been really well received.
I think they can do it.
The only things that can go wrong is a national or international event either preventing people from buying the album or depressing people into how can you listen to rock when they attacked our kantree they attacked our kantree didn'tit?
That happened for the last Genesis studio album, but on subject of talking Genesis their 13th album was... Invisible Touch!
So I look forward to RIF soundtracking serial killers! Perhaps we could get James to make his TV acting debut on an American cop show that's closest to Miami Vice?
That would please the American fans!
Old 25-03-2018, 17:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Interested to know, but do people prefer this kind of release compared to what we've been used to in the past i.e. hearing all of the "singles" first before hearing the album in full?
In a way the format matters less and less these days. Singles are irrelevant to some extent, unless they are a standalone thing. I don't hear artists talking about top 10 singles or chart positions at all for the most part.

Back in the 90's bands were under intense pressure to produce 24 songs in an album cycle which was a hell of a lot of work. Naturally some excelled where others failed, and there were a handful of outstanding B-side bands. In a way, the move to streaming should technically improve albums. Bands should be able to focus on a tight release, rather than worrying about having enough material to do 8-12 extra songs per album cycle.

Naturally the downside of that is that we don't get to hear the oddities that could be tucked away on a B-side, or a dusty gem that didn't fit on the album. Again though in the streaming era, there's no reason that offcuts and non-album tracks can't be pulled together into EP's or stand-alone singles. Imagine if Truth was released in 2018, they could do the album & tour - then announce a second tour (promoted by Prologue to History as a single,) and then a short EP with album offcuts (aka the other B:sides) following that.

For me bands can release what they want before an album. One song is fine, as it the whole thing on a drip. But once the genie is out of the bottle, anything after that has to be at least a new mix, if not a new song.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 25-03-2018 at 22:01.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:06
Knowlede Is Power

Just looking at pre-ordering...

If I order the deluxe version here in Japan, it's 5,184 JPY. Convert that and it's £34.50.

If I buy the UK deluxe version (minus the three Japanese bonus tracks), it's £16 + £5.49 shipping (total £21.49).

How does that work then? An extra £13 for two new tracks and a remix? I dunno... Japanese CDs and DVDs are damn expensive.
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 29-03-2018, 08:34
Bored of being bored

They always have been - that's why they have bonus tracks on, to encourage the locals to buy them, rather than import them from abroad for cheaper.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 29-03-2018, 09:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

Hi guys, the album is currently available to listen to on the Amazon music app!! Not sure why it's available now but it's there - it's on the limited streaming service they offer to people with Amazon prime.
Old 29-03-2018, 09:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Wow!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 29-03-2018, 09:46
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
Hi guys, the album is currently available to listen to on the Amazon music app!! Not sure why it's available now but it's there - it's on the limited streaming service they offer to people with Amazon prime.
I only see the three singles?
Old 29-03-2018, 09:49
Doors slowly closing

It’s all on the app.

Well done, Amazon. A Manics album that doesn’t get leaked gets put up early by the world’s biggest retailer instead. Resistance is futile.
Old 29-03-2018, 09:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

If you search for the album you should get the album pop up as the top result. It says Amazon music unlimited next to it but if you select it you should be able to listen to it ��
Old 29-03-2018, 10:01

It's very nineties isn't it? I can hear a lot of Suede melodies in here.

Old 29-03-2018, 10:01
Doors slowly closing

It’s down now. I made it to Hold Me Like a Heaven. I mean, I could have gone further but I just lost interest.
Old 29-03-2018, 10:07

Sequels for forgotten wars, what the fuck are they trying to do there?