Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 17:17
Winterlover

Just been checking out the NYNEX vid. It's quite interesting to see how they've re-cut the video, which does refresh the viewing a bit. Whereas a lot of the 90's vids would focus extensively on the lead singer, the new viewing angles give more of a feel of the event, not just the band. Sound sync aside, the audio is pretty good as there is a healthy crowd voice in there too. Rather than the sterile "cheering between songs only" it gives you a bit more of a feeling of being in the room.

I have to say though, it's quite glorious to watch the boys at that phase of their career. James not playing many solos to figure out the sole guitar stuff. And the automatic pedal changes. That thrashyness edge makes them closer to Nirvana than they ever were I think. But also the chunky Wire bass, and the crushing distortion of the guitars is a glory to hear. It just sounds fucking LOUD.

That and Jimmy is in the peak of his screamy days before he wanted to sing a bit more on Truth. Beneath the new exterior you can still see the band that made the Holy Bible peeking through in the performance, which is something I didn't think about at the time. And there are some great moments in the crowd too. The constant bounciness reminds me of the first time I saw them a few years later. Even in the verses of Design For Life. Pure energy.
Old 09-06-2016, 22:09
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
The box set art is being used to advertise the 2cd and the CD picture is being used for the box!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-...SDPRQ7WK9VZYDG
Old 09-06-2016, 22:55
Doors slowly closing

The EMG import is on Spanish Amazon for £20 delivered (choose to pay in Euros)

https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B01DX0...rds=B01DX0FB8Y
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:55
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Just been checking out the NYNEX vid. It's quite interesting to see how they've re-cut the video, which does refresh the viewing a bit. Whereas a lot of the 90's vids would focus extensively on the lead singer, the new viewing angles give more of a feel of the event, not just the band. Sound sync aside, the audio is pretty good as there is a healthy crowd voice in there too. Rather than the sterile "cheering between songs only" it gives you a bit more of a feeling of being in the room.

I have to say though, it's quite glorious to watch the boys at that phase of their career. James not playing many solos to figure out the sole guitar stuff. And the automatic pedal changes. That thrashyness edge makes them closer to Nirvana than they ever were I think. But also the chunky Wire bass, and the crushing distortion of the guitars is a glory to hear. It just sounds fucking LOUD.

That and Jimmy is in the peak of his screamy days before he wanted to sing a bit more on Truth. Beneath the new exterior you can still see the band that made the Holy Bible peeking through in the performance, which is something I didn't think about at the time. And there are some great moments in the crowd too. The constant bounciness reminds me of the first time I saw them a few years later. Even in the verses of Design For Life. Pure energy.
I agree with this. I only think they were a bit overmotivated, especially James. He screwed up practically all solos with forced improvisations. The guitar is also a it too bigh in the mix. The alltime hammond organs are simply annoying and The worst is Elvis Impersonator - why is the first half from rehearsal room? Is the gig footage lost?
But overall it is great to see the band playing without backing tracks. The songs are much more powerful.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I agree with this. I only think they were a bit overmotivated, especially James.
As a consequence of staring his early retirement at 28 in the face I think
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I agree with this. I only think they were a bit overmotivated, especially James. He screwed up practically all solos with forced improvisations. The guitar is also a it too bigh in the mix. The alltime hammond organs are simply annoying and The worst is Elvis Impersonator - why is the first half from rehearsal room? Is the gig footage lost?
But overall it is great to see the band playing without backing tracks. The songs are much more powerful.
Man, with all due respect, some of this is complete shit.

Think of the pressure of being the frontman (plus being the singer, the music songwriter, the guitarist) of this band when (in their minds) the main focus of the band had gone. The pressure must have been immense.

The guitar sounds fantastic on the latest mix. The distortion in Removables is fucking raw! It caught me off guard listening on my headphones.

This is their best recorded gig by a million miles. They are all so young and on edge in this. Wire looks and plays so much better when he is hammered.

Plus it has the best versions of La Tristesse, Roses, NSAF, and ME. Plus the ultimate Baby Love MJ intro.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:33
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post

What I remember from listening to the bootlegs, James stopped giving not one iota of a fuck about solos during this period. It wasn't until Withness/Move 2003 that he regained his pre EMG ability for over the top soloing. I'm not sure if it was conscious decision but I remember hearing that James's personal life went a bit of rails around THB and throughout the EMG era. However EMG,the best rhythm guitar of any manics album by a country mile. The chord progressions are amazing, especially Kevin Carter which is probably the most interesting and unique guitar song James has ever wrote. It really helped to bring balance into James's song writing in terms of being able to write music that he could sing back into.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 12-06-2016, 13:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Man, with all due respect, some of this is complete shit.

Think of the pressure of being the frontman (plus being the singer, the music songwriter, the guitarist) of this band when (in their minds) the main focus of the band had gone. The pressure must have been immense.

The guitar sounds fantastic on the latest mix. The distortion in Removables is fucking raw! It caught me off guard listening on my headphones.

This is their best recorded gig by a million miles. They are all so young and on edge in this. Wire looks and plays so much better when he is hammered.

Plus it has the best versions of La Tristesse, Roses, NSAF, and ME. Plus the ultimate Baby Love MJ intro.
Somehow I am not sure what's that shit then, I agree with most of what you wrote. Guitar sounds good, it's only too loud in the mix. I never said James didn't have any pressure on him.
As for recorded gigs I have no idea, but I strongly prefer ME and Roses from Glasto 94
Old 12-06-2016, 20:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
What I remember from listening to the bootlegs, James stopped giving not one iota of a fuck about solos during this period. It wasn't until Withness/Move 2003 that he regained his pre EMG ability for over the top soloing. I'm not sure if it was conscious decision but I remember hearing that James's personal life went a bit of rails around THB and throughout the EMG era.
There was certainly a lot of change in the air from 94-04 ish. There is always a problem for 3 pieces sounding (or feeling as though they sound) a tad "empty." As a result, the band started to use the keyboard sound as a bit of filler for the sound. Presumably this coincided with James figuring out how to play and set up pedals etc.

The song that always strikes me as a good example of this is Motorcycle Emptiness. From 1996, it was changed dramatically with James effectively playing rhythm guitar all the way through. After that, he started to add the solos and lead sections back in bit by bit. By 1999 the main solos were back. By 2001, the middle 8 section was back to James picking and doing all the other bits and pieces. By 2004 he had his pedals back he came full circle to playing the song much like he did in 1994.
Old 16-06-2016, 16:27
Freed from the century

When james didn't do pedals or many solos he was a Tasmanian devil twisting spinning jumping running everywhere. There hadn't been a more energetic guitarist / vocalist since.
As he has gotten older and less mobile he had concentrated on his guitar more