Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 20:57
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
I can't think of anything he's recorded I would think of as 'bad' or deserving the title of 'worst' to be honest. He's a great singer, there aren't any of those cringeworthy moments. Maybe he should follow Michael Stipe's lead and do a little rapping occasionally?
No.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:08
Winterlover

James voice is always good on record as he really knows how to nail a take by the looks of the footage I've seen in the studio. Live these days, the rasp he once had is going, but that is natural. Look at for example Serj from System of a Down, a heavy rock singer who is losing his rasp now he is in his 40's. Just time taking it's toll, and perfectly normal. A good example of this in action is on Jackie Collins in the rockier part.

My only issue I think with any vocal (and this is by no means the worst) is the way he sings Motorcycle Emptiness live now, it used to sound extremely sweet and smooth. I like a good James growl when it's needed, but it's almost like he puts a little too much into the chorus these days.

As I said only one minor gripe from one of the best rock voices of all time!
Old 06-03-2011, 21:08
Bored out of my mind

There's no vocal James has ever done that I don't like. Even in the very early records I still like his vocals.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-03-2011, 21:20
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
I actually really like the vocals on that.

Spectators of Suicide however....

I only listen to the Heavenly gig version.
The original (Heavenly) recording of Spectators of Suicide is my choice. The vocal is alright but it sounds a bit dull and tired, though yeah it is one of their earliest efforts.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:26
Bored out of my mind

The performance on the Andrew Marr Show was fabulous!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-03-2011, 21:34
Freed from the century

Both him and the him that's backing himself up on Intravenous Agnostic sound really flat and half-arsed to me. In fact, after the vocal master-class that was TIMTTMY, a lot of the vocals on KYE sound a bit muddy. A lot of it is down to the production though. And I still like the album...

P.S. I think his voice on TLORN is great!
Old 06-03-2011, 21:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
Both him and the him that's backing himself up on Intravenous Agnostic sound really flat and half-arsed to me. In fact, after the vocal master-class that was TIMTTMY, a lot of the vocals on KYE sound a bit muddy. A lot of it is down to the production though. And I still like the album...

P.S. I think his voice on TLORN is great!
Anyone who doesn't like his vocal on TLORN is mad in my book! I love the 'grimy' sound of KYE (I always use that word to describe it). Think people are confusing rawness with sounding lazy/half-arsed for some reason.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:49
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
Both him and the him that's backing himself up on Intravenous Agnostic sound really flat and half-arsed to me.
Good point.
Old 06-03-2011, 22:00
Freed from the century

isn't the lower vocal on intravenous agnostic nicky?
Old 06-03-2011, 22:00
Bored out of my mind

Love the vocal on IA.
Old 06-03-2011, 22:01
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_duckworth View Post
I believe it is!
Old 06-03-2011, 22:40
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Think people are confusing rawness with sounding lazy/half-arsed for some reason.
My personal opinion is that at the time the Manics were confusing "raw" with "under rehearsed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_duckworth View Post
On listening to it on my headphones, I think you're right. What about on Dead Martyrs? Are there two Jameses there, or is it just an effect? For some reason it doesn't bother me quite so much on that song, although I still think James is clearly better when you can clearly hear him...
Old 06-03-2011, 22:48
Desire on its knees

I really dislike TLORN because of James' vocals on it! They're just too low, it doesn't sound right to me at all.

Apart from that there aren't any songs that spring to mind on which his voice grates on me. I hate Underdogs, but it's not really to do with his voice on it.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 06-03-2011, 23:05
Knowlede Is Power

I like the Richard Nixon vocals as they add variety.
Really rate the heavenly version of Spectators of Suicide, I feel the murkier vocals suit the song overall more. You aren't meant to sound all energetic, happy and pretty on such a subject matter.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
Spectators of Suicide however....

I only listen to the Heavenly gig version.
like we all probably do!

and I very enjoy TLORN.

I recently noticed I get annoyed by James's live vocals during live performances for radio or telly, you know the screamy thing is probably not my cuppa... it sounds much better live but on yt or bbc radios it's not the best thing 4me to be honest.