Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-10-2011, 15:13
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
one of my best friends lives in Canada and she loves TIMT. I'm not from the UK either - Ireland - and I don't find myself feeling excluded by the lyrics.
Thanks for replying to my post! Interesting to get thoughts from fans outside the UK and all that!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 31-10-2011, 16:31
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
A comment someone posted in another thread made me want to ask this question -

What are Manics fans from across the pond's thoughts with regards to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours? Do you feel you are able to connect with the album? (Just thinking with regards to the lyrics being more 'insular' as it were. Hope that makes sense!
Well it was the first album that i bought of the manics and i love it when is a rainy day or when i feel down, i dont listen to it that often because it might take me to depresion(the same you could say of Holy Bible). I would put it only behind of Plague lovers and bible, but i dont play it all the time
Old 31-10-2011, 16:46
Freed from the century

"Rock & roll genius" would have been better if james had sang it.
Old 31-10-2011, 17:20
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallafield View Post
where can i hear this song?
Old 31-10-2011, 18:11
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganslastwords View Post
where can i hear this song?
It's on the bonus cd that comes with the hmv pre-order. Not sure if it counts as commercially available. I'd have no problem uploading it if it's allowed, but one of the mods will have to tell me if I'm allowed to or not.
Old 01-11-2011, 13:34
Desire on its knees

If there was a way to physically hug a song, the first song I would do it to would be 'Born a Girl'.

Facebook Twitter
Old 01-11-2011, 13:44
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallafield View Post
Not heard it but totally agree!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 01-11-2011, 13:45
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parma Violets View Post
If there was a way to physically hug a song, the first song I would do it to would be 'Born a Girl'.
Mine would be Askew Road, I think.
Old 01-11-2011, 13:59
Desire on its knees

Just listened to that for the first time. Why the shit wasn't that on the album?

Facebook Twitter
Old 01-11-2011, 15:14
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Just listened to that for the first time. Why the shit wasn't that on the album?
Could say the same for The Soulmates and Antarctic!
Old 01-11-2011, 18:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

This is actually the most praise I've ever seen of TIMT, from the reviews I've read it seemed the majority were disappointed by it. But not surprising there are differing views, music being as subjective as it is.

Oddly enough, considering everyone here seems to find it a very emotional album, that's exactly what I'm finding it to be lacking. It feels more.... mellow than melancholic, personally. Maybe because if I were to relate my melancholic days to an album, they go straight into Holy Bible territory, and EMG and SATT are pretty much my happy, uplifting choices.
Old 01-11-2011, 18:57
Builder of routine

Quote:
oooh that's a good 'un

*wanders off to ponder*
Old 01-11-2011, 21:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Just thought that Fearless Punk Ballad would be a pretty good intro to Motown Junk.
Old 01-11-2011, 22:09
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsebastian View Post
This is actually the most praise I've ever seen of TIMT, from the reviews I've read it seemed the majority were disappointed by it. But not surprising there are differing views, music being as subjective as it is.

Oddly enough, considering everyone here seems to find it a very emotional album, that's exactly what I'm finding it to be lacking. It feels more.... mellow than melancholic, personally. Maybe because if I were to relate my melancholic days to an album, they go straight into Holy Bible territory, and EMG and SATT are pretty much my happy, uplifting choices.
For me I just connected with Truth cos the year it came out there was alot of stuff happening in my life and also there was the bombing of Omagh in August a month before Tolerate came out. Seeing the video for Tolerate for the first time just really grabbed my attention and I spent the rest of that year trying to locate the song but failing apart from hearing it once on the radio! Caught a brief glimpse of the video for The Everlasting but didn't really connect the two songs together. Then saw the video for You Stole The Sun in March on one of our music shows at the time and that was it. HOOKED!
But as you say everyone has different views and what is emotionally connecting for one person can be totally different for another. So glad I discovered them when I did though!
Old 01-11-2011, 22:24
Winterlover

Made a National Treasures playlist of my own and been listening to it tonight. Two thoughts:

1) Feeling overwhelmed by nostalgia and love for this band because they have such a gorgeously fantastic and brilliant singles run...

2) ... until YLAINE which is such an insane drop in quality from all the 30-odd songs before that it's just tragic. It's an alright song and admittedly I'll always have a soft spot for the chorus and the Nicky cameo but going from a gigantic run of excellence to just alright is such a clumsy drop.

Bah bah bah.

Last edited by Flint; 01-11-2011 at 22:27.