Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-01-2013, 20:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I've noticed that on eBay a bit lately too, bit much for my liking! Apart from the shoe box and a few of the early singles in the late 90s I haven't really paid over the odds for anything.
Yes, it's not very cheap but it's four cds and Japanese quality packaging.
Old 30-01-2013, 19:46
Freed from the century

Mispressed (not pressed at all) TIMTTMY, limited edition with 32 pages booklet. Sorry for the big picture. I am unable to post smaller ones.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 30-01-2013, 20:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic pilgrim View Post
Mispressed (not pressed at all) TIMTTMY, limited edition with 32 pages booklet. Sorry for the big picture. I am unable to post smaller ones.

[IMG][/IMG]
I'm assuming this originally had the embossed case and someone has replaced it for a normal case??
Old 30-01-2013, 20:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Kid View Post
I'm assuming this originally had the embossed case and someone has replaced it for a normal case??
It was sealed when I bought it. May be it was packed in the wrong case from the beginning.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:03
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Kid View Post
Quote:
It was sealed when I bought it. May be it was packed in the wrong case from the beginning.
Yeah, I thought so... What's the serial number on it, 491703 2? I've had a couple of shitty little hatchet jobs like that, if that is the case. The first gold Gold Against The Soul I got came just came in the standard case, that one was weird. What happened, did someone lose the case and buy a standard version as a replacement so they could sell it on? The worst one I got was a cd2 of The Everlasting which was in a plastic case. I thought oh I haven't seen that before, must be a European release. They'd just bought the standard UK cds, cut the artwork apart and stuck it in a thin plastic case. What the fuck.

Also, with the Little Baby Nothing, Revol and She Is Suffering z-packs I've seen loads of copies on sale with both cds in the cd1 case. Who the fuck buys both and just throws away the cd2 case?
Old 31-01-2013, 20:26
A self-made vacuum

I've seen a fair few of the embossed covers in regular cases recently, sold second hand in places like That's Entertainment. I think when they get the CDs delivered at the suppliers, they replace any damaged cases along with other quality checks and then reseal it to look as good as new (though sold as used).

Got a picture disc of THB in a regular case, don't really know what to do with it, doesn't feel right selling it in the wrong case.
Old 31-01-2013, 21:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
Yeah, I thought so... What's the serial number on it, 491703 2? I've had a couple of shitty little hatchet jobs like that, if that is the case. The first gold Gold Against The Soul I got came just came in the standard case, that one was weird. What happened, did someone lose the case and buy a standard version as a replacement so they could sell it on? The worst one I got was a cd2 of The Everlasting which was in a plastic case. I thought oh I haven't seen that before, must be a European release. They'd just bought the standard UK cds, cut the artwork apart and stuck it in a thin plastic case. What the fuck.

Also, with the Little Baby Nothing, Revol and She Is Suffering z-packs I've seen loads of copies on sale with both cds in the cd1 case. Who the fuck buys both and just throws away the cd2 case?
Yes, the serial number is 491703 2. I like this odd stuff. I remember when I bought The Holy Bible and found out that some lyrics were missing. I thought: great, a mispressed booklet and guess who gets it! Now I am very proud of it.

Last month I bought The Essential Clash, two CDS. I thought it was a z-pack, so I opened it, found cd1 and no trace of cd2. I tried to dismantle the z-pack looking for the missing cd and finally I found out that the cds were placed one on the other. Never seen this before. Must be some kind of environment friendly packaging.

Last edited by manic pilgrim; 01-02-2013 at 07:34.
Old 31-01-2013, 21:34
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
I've seen a fair few of the embossed covers in regular cases recently, sold second hand in places like That's Entertainment. I think when they get the CDs delivered at the suppliers, they replace any damaged cases along with other quality checks and then reseal it to look as good as new (though sold as used).

Got a picture disc of THB in a regular case, don't really know what to do with it, doesn't feel right selling it in the wrong case.
Is it so easy to do? They can easily remove the booklet and cd and put it in a new case, but what about the back of the case, the one with the songs title, the bar code etc.?
Old 01-02-2013, 18:26

Quote:
Is it so easy to do? They can easily remove the booklet and cd and put it in a new case, but what about the back of the case, the one with the songs title, the bar code etc.?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5iO5x-O-E

Usually jewel cases are not graded by record collectors, they are considered to be something similar to a protective sleeve of a vinyl record. Absolutely no problem to replace them. Personally I prefer the original cases with original advertising stickers on them but according to Goldmine/Record Collector guidelines that doesn't increase or decrease value and doesn't need to be mentioned when advertised. Only ebay (who don't know anything about record collecting) think the jewel case is the most important part: "Very good: An item that has been used, but is in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item".
The embossed TIMT is something different because the jewel case is part of the artwork, in this case it should be there ;-) and graded.
Old 01-02-2013, 19:54
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Potter View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5iO5x-O-E

Usually jewel cases are not graded by record collectors, they are considered to be something similar to a protective sleeve of a vinyl record. Absolutely no problem to replace them. Personally I prefer the original cases with original advertising stickers on them but according to Goldmine/Record Collector guidelines that doesn't increase or decrease value and doesn't need to be mentioned when advertised. Only ebay (who don't know anything about record collecting) think the jewel case is the most important part: "Very good: An item that has been used, but is in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item".
The embossed TIMT is something different because the jewel case is part of the artwork, in this case it should be there ;-) and graded.
Wow, thank you very much for the explanation. I see it's really very easy to do an I want to try myself. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Yes, the serial number is 491703 2. I like this odd stuff. I remember when I bought The Holy Bible and found out that some lyrics were missing. I thought: great, a mispressed booklet and guess who gets it! Now I am very proud of it.

Last month I bought The Essential Clash, two CDS. I thought it was a z-pack, so I opened it, found cd1 and no trace of cd2. I tried to dismantle the z-pack looking for the missing cd and finally I found out that the cds were placed one on the other. Never seen this before. Must be some kind of environment friendly packaging.
Hmm, don't think I've seen anything like that Clash one. Environmentally friendly packaging for cds doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, it's not like they're that perishable and they're gonna go to landfill that often. I do have a carbon neutral Everything Must Go though

I love the odd mispressing. You got the An English Gentleman vinyls? Pre-ordered it when they came out, was labeled as a red vinyl but pressed on a black by mistake so they sent out one of each, that was good. Also, I've got an Underdogs promo cd that's got Your Love Alone on it. Oh, and a Bulgarian cassette of This Is My "Thruth" Tell Me Yours. God I'm such a hipster.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Hmm, don't think I've seen anything like that Clash one. Environmentally friendly packaging for cds doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, it's not like they're that perishable and they're gonna go to landfill that often. I do have a carbon neutral Everything Must Go though

I love the odd mispressing. You got the An English Gentleman vinyls? Pre-ordered it when they came out, was labeled as a red vinyl but pressed on a black by mistake so they sent out one of each, that was good. Also, I've got an Underdogs promo cd that's got Your Love Alone on it. Oh, and a Bulgarian cassette of This Is My "Thruth" Tell Me Yours. God I'm such a hipster.
Ooh, I have a black "red" Gentleman 7" as well! And the other one is a miss-pressing where the hole isn't in the centre. A true treasure, it's a bit like going for the runt of the litter out of pity.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 03-02-2013, 17:45
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
Ooh, I have a black "red" Gentleman 7" as well! And the other one is a miss-pressing where the hole isn't in the centre. A true treasure, it's a bit like going for the runt of the litter out of pity.
Yeah? Just checked mine, hole's in the centre. Love the artwork of those singles, nice gatefold and print too.
Old 03-02-2013, 19:25
Freed from the century

Quote:

I got the black An English Gentleman but not the wrong Underdogs. I got the right one. I decided not to collect the cassettes, not at present. I simply have no space for everything.
Old 04-02-2013, 13:20

Here's what I think is a complete set of UK 'Hit Factory' promo cassettes with factory printed inserts.