Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-07-2012, 08:40
Stretched out in the sun

I think the name suits them really well, glad they haven't changed it. I remember before I'd even heard anything by them, hearing the name mentioned on the radio or the news or whatever when I was probably about 10 and thinking fucking hell that's a cool name.

Admittedly, when I was first getting into them I kinda had the black and white view of Manic Street Preachers being two bands, with and without Richey but with half a lifetime's obsession it all blends in together. Course we're never gonna know but it's fun to speculate about but I wonder if Sounds In The Grass would've sounded like Everything Must Go anyway. You can guarantee it'd have been a departure from The Holy Bible anyway. I know quite often with their writing process they put the music around the lyrics, but for them to be able to do that they must've had it in themselves anyway cos reading lyrics doesn't make you write great music. Even thinking about the pre-post Richey stuff, there's plenty of material that could fit in either era. In my opinion, Spectators Of Suicide wouldn't be out of place in the This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours era and Dead Martyrs wouldn't be too out of place in The Holy Bible era, whether as album tracks or b-sides.

Oh yeah, I'm glad they kept their name cos if they'd changed it they'd be essentially admitting they're a different band when they're not. And I'm sure Nicky would've come up with a crap name anyway.
Old 14-07-2012, 08:55
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
I would argue that, after Richey disappeared, the band became the one thing James, Sean and Nicky could hold on to in some respects. And the name is obviously an integral part of that. Whatever else was going on in their lives at that time, whatever pain and confusion they were feeling during such a difficult situation, the one thing they knew with certainty was that they were Manic Street Preachers.

That's all supposition, of course, but I genuinely believe that might have been the case for the lads.
Yeah, I think there's definitely a case for that out there somewhere. I'm sure I've even read something along those lines in an interview before?

I suppose it could've quite well been some kinda therapy for them. I can't even begin to attempt to understand how they were feeling when it all happened, but I'm guessing if they just disbanded or changed their name and direction completely it'd just be the equivalent of repressing stuff and potentially make things worse for them.

From the outside looking in, I think they're dealing with Richey fucking admirably. I mean, in the late 90s they barely touched The Holy Bible, but since then they've played everything off it except The Intense Humming Of Evil and Mausoleum, including Die In The Summertime and Archives Of Pain which were never played on the original tour. It's perfectly understandable why they'd feel uncomfortable playing certain songs live, but the way they talk about Richey in interviews and the anecdotes they come out with about him at gigs (particularly the Revol one at the O2) kinda gives the impression that they're at peace in a way, that they're not afraid to take the piss out of Richey. They show us a side of Richey that the media doesn't. I'll never stop wondering how things would've turned out for the band if he'd stuck around though.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:26
Doors slowly closing

They'd be better off changing their name now because they've run the current one into the ground. Once you come out with SATT and PFAYM, you can't expect to be taken seriously ever again - even by yourself.

Lifeblood closed the book on MSP. Since then they've been a tribute act to themselves apart from when they put out their superior, more honest solo work.
Old 14-07-2012, 12:13
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
They'd be better off changing their name now because they've run the current one into the ground. Once you come out with SATT and PFAYM, you can't expect to be taken seriously ever again - even by yourself.

Lifeblood closed the book on MSP. Since then they've been a tribute act to themselves apart from when they put out their superior, more honest solo work.
Certainly would've been true had they not recorded JFPL. I always forget that came out between SATT and PFAYM as it is a brilliant album. Would've expected it after Lifeblood, but not SATT.
Old 14-07-2012, 14:34
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:

The way I see it, the reason they are playing the hits in festival slots etc, is the more they run through them, the further they are encouraged to push the envelope and do something different with the next album.
It's mainly a mix of blind faith, panic and straw clutching that makes me think this.
Old 14-07-2012, 16:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I'll never stop wondering how things would've turned out for the band if he'd stuck around though.
a joint tour with, and the inevitable, predictable but all the same presumably enjoyable gang bang with The Spice Girls, i would imagine. just for the novelty factor.

but if you would prefer a different bit of speculation, a fair bit of JFPL combined with parts of EMG, i reckon. the scary part of that would be that Nicky would quite probably have not written either Australia or A Design For Life, though.
blog
Old 14-07-2012, 16:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:

on the basis of the singles from the albums you name, and thus sadly the only ones that ever get aired live, i see where you are coming from. each of those albums, however, contain some real gems that would not look all that out of place on the first 3 or 4 albums to be honest.
blog
Old 14-07-2012, 17:40
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
the scary part of that would be that Nicky would quite probably have not written either Australia or A Design For Life, though.
If I ever met the man this would be my question to the Wire - if he considers the writing of the lyrics of DFL to be in any way contingent to the disappearance of Richey. In fact I'd say this is the biggest question regarding the history of the band. Personally, from reading and watching interviews there seems to be no link between these two events. The Pure Motive and DFL lyrics came from the Cracker programme and I guess the Wire's views on the perception of the working class at that time. Looking past that fact that obviously Richey's disappearance affected them deeply, there is no material connection between the two things. Likewise Jimbo's writing of the music has no obvious link to Richey. So, all things considered, you'd have to say they would have still written the song and Richey would have went out with Kate Moss, as the Wire always wistfully fantasises about.
Old 14-07-2012, 18:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
If I ever met the man this would be my question to the Wire - if he considers the writing of the lyrics of DFL to be in any way contingent to the disappearance of Richey. In fact I'd say this is the biggest question regarding the history of the band. Personally, from reading and watching interviews there seems to be no link between these two events. The Pure Motive and DFL lyrics came from the Cracker programme and I guess the Wire's views on the perception of the working class at that time. Looking past that fact that obviously Richey's disappearance affected them deeply, there is no material connection between the two things. Likewise Jimbo's writing of the music has no obvious link to Richey. So, all things considered, you'd have to say they would have still written the song and Richey would have went out with Kate Moss, as the Wire always wistfully fantasises about.
whoops, sorry if i implied otherwise - whereas Australia is described by Nicky as his reaction to it all, i did not mean to say that Design was. i just seem to recall (been a while since i saw the documentary or read anything so correct away) that Design For Life was the song that Nicky contacted James about, saying he thinks he has a new tune and the EMG ball started rolling then?
blog
Old 14-07-2012, 21:43
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Mystery Superstar Plasterers
haha im loving this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagetout View Post
Didn't Nicky suggest The Pure Motive?
i might have heard this name somewhere before, i think its brilliant.

but i like Manic Street Preachers and the way calling them The Manics. because it shows how much passion and focus is given on certain issues, holding Maniacally to something, never letting go.

MSP sounds like a sort of contagious disease though.
Old 15-07-2012, 06:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
MSP sounds like a sort of contagious disease though.
Are Members of Scottish Parliament that bad?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-07-2012, 10:24
I live to fall asleep

Delighted they didn't change their name.

Margaret Street Thatchers.