Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 20:29
Bored out of my mind

They grew up during quite a politically difficult time in Wales though! The Miners strike and all that. Obviously they are in a different place now but it doesn't mean they have forgotten all that!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 10-11-2012, 20:38
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Ha! Touché! I can't believe there are still fans who believe the Manics are somehow a working class band fighting for the rights and recognition of the average working stiff.

Why is he a snob? I think it's a bit delusional to think that guys with large houses and all the conveniences money can buy, really understand the average working person.
I don't know anyone who believes that the Manics are fighting for working class people, but in any case why have you even brought that up?

I think by being so dismissive of "credibility" which is vague enough anyway, you're showing a sense of snobbery and entitlement. They're a band, they tried saying All We Make Is Entertainment but still people love to throw shit at them. They do what they say they will and get criticised, they don't do what they say they will, they do what they say they won't - they get criticised. What do you expect from them? I don't understand how going along with this would harm their credibility whatever that means, and I think it takes a certain degree of snobbery to think that. If being associated with wrestling is so bad, what's so wrong with it? Yeah, there are dirty bits of the industry but you could say the same about everything we consume. Doing A doesn't mean they condone B. Not doing X doesn't mean they think Y. Does Postcards From A Young Man tarnish The Holy Bible? They haven't always had large houses and all the conveniences money can buy, but so what if they had?
Old 10-11-2012, 20:43
Bored out of my mind

As an ELO fan I laugh in the face of credibility anyway!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 10-11-2012, 20:43
Stretched out in the sun

It's ok, carry on like this and it'll be so uncool to like Manics that it'll be cool again.
Old 10-11-2012, 20:45
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I think by being so dismissive of "credibility" which is vague enough anyway, you're showing a sense of snobbery and entitlement. They're a band, they tried saying All We Make Is Entertainment but still people love to throw shit at them. They do what they say they will and get criticised, they don't do what they say they will, they do what they say they won't - they get criticised. What do you expect from them? I don't understand how going along with this would harm their credibility whatever that means, and I think it takes a certain degree of snobbery to think that. If being associated with wrestling is so bad, what's so wrong with it? Yeah, there are dirty bits of the industry but you could say the same about everything we consume. Doing A doesn't mean they condone B. Not doing X doesn't mean they think Y. Does Postcards From A Young Man tarnish The Holy Bible? They haven't always had large houses and all the conveniences money can buy, but so what if they had?
Reading Rich's post made me think of an Italian song which says ''If you're a good man, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're a bad man, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're rich, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're poor, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're ugly, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're beautiful, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you work, you'll have stones thrown at you. If you're a lazy ass, you'll have stones thrown at you.''
Anyway, I agree with Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kyle16 View Post
Barrett is known to be a fan of the Welsh band
Is there really anything else to say?
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth

Last edited by cricri; 10-11-2012 at 20:55.
Old 10-11-2012, 20:55
Doors slowly closing

It they're really clever they'll write something as meaningful as ADFL to get played to the thousands of people weekly.
Old 10-11-2012, 21:01
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
It they're really clever they'll write something as meaningful as ADFL to get played to the thousands of people weekly.
I'm sure they will come up with something clever!
Old 10-11-2012, 21:05
I live to fall asleep

I also love the ridiculous notion that a working class person has to stay working class?
All working class people I know want to strive for more, wish they had more money for themselves, their family etc.
As soon as any working class person achieves wealth, they are seemingly shunned for being out of touch and suddenly become the enemy?

Not really the point, they're just a fucking band, who cares?

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 10-11-2012, 21:31
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
A) the guy is a fan. They're doing him a favour. Its nice to do stuff for your fans.

B) Class is a funny thing. As has been said, you remember where you come from. Also, just because someone is rich, why does that mean they can't empathise with those who aren't? I'm pretty sure all three (four?) band members know how lucky they are, coming from where they did, to have what they do.

C) How has their social class and the transience thereof got anything to do with whether they should write a particular song or not? Its not even like wrestling is "posh," if they were writing a song for polo I could see the relevance, but its freakin' wrestling. Its a form of entertainment. As is music. Chill the hell out guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 10-11-2012, 21:38
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
A) the guy is a fan. They're doing him a favour. Its nice to do stuff for your fans.

B) Class is a funny thing. As has been said, you remember where you come from. Also, just because someone is rich, why does that mean they can't empathise with those who aren't? I'm pretty sure all three (four?) band members know how lucky they are, coming from where they did, to have what they do.

C) How has their social class and the transience thereof got anything to do with whether they should write a particular song or not? Its not even like wrestling is "posh," if they were writing a song for polo I could see the relevance, but its freakin' wrestling. Its a form of entertainment. As is music. Chill the hell out guys.
Well said Adele!
Old 10-11-2012, 21:56
Bored of being bored

Quote:

Winner!
Old 10-11-2012, 22:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
They grew up during quite a politically difficult time in Wales though! The Miners strike and all that. Obviously they are in a different place now but it doesn't mean they have forgotten all that!
You're right, but that's not what I'm commenting on (see my response below to the other OP). I also have no problem whatsoever with them doing a tune for this wrestler fellow. On the contrary, I think it's a great idea (Those of you who know me likely know I work in advertising, why would I be against such publicity). Might generate some attention for them outside their traditional fanbase. I was responding to that quote attributed to Sean Moore about wrestling being the last working class sport. I have no idea if he actually said it, but it's something I can see anyone of those guys saying and it pisses me off, if I'm being honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
I also love the ridiculous notion that a working class person has to stay working class?
All working class people I know want to strive for more, wish they had more money for themselves, their family etc.
As soon as any working class person achieves wealth, they are seemingly shunned for being out of touch and suddenly become the enemy?

Not really the point, they're just a fucking band, who cares?
I'm well aware of this given my family were once very much working class and very poor. They had to emigrate and work their fingers to the bone to improve their finacial situation. I didn't mean to give the impression that the working classes can't improve their lot in life or that they can't have money either.

As for the Manics themselves, I have no problem with them acquiring wealth or as you call it "bettering themselves", it's the hypocrisy and passing judgment on those that are largely in the same economic class as they are now. Also, continuing to polarize the classes by making silly public comments turns my stomach. It's nauseating.

And yeah, they're a band, but if they are going to make public social commentaries then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. I don't come from the school of idol worship. Except David Bowie. He's pretty much flawless.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:09
I live to fall asleep

I was thinking the same

Quote:

Totally agree!
Old 10-11-2012, 22:23
Bored out of my mind

That comment was Sean being a wee bit sardonic I imagine! Being Sean!

Nicky (mainly, usually!) says stuff to wind people up somethimes. None of them are stupid. They're pretty clued up. A certain bands 'worthier than thou' utterances are what niggle me but that's for another thread!
Old 10-11-2012, 22:28
Bored out of my mind

I don't think ending up eventually 'well off' means that you suddenly are no longer able to empathise or understand what the less fortunate are dealing with. I doubt all of their relatives are millionaires so that will keep their feet on the ground I'm sure!