Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-08-2013, 20:35
Winterlover

It sucks to be Manics fan in UK.

You know...you go for a walk - Manics. You go to a gig - Manics, to the shop - manics... then you gradually stop appreciating that!

Not like us seeing them once a life, that's something
Old 27-08-2013, 20:38
Under neon loneliness

Old 27-08-2013, 21:03
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post

actually it was meant seriously in a way. When I went to London for a Manics gig I was horrified by a lazy audience. Prague 2002 gig was completely different. There were a few thousands of people who saw them for the first time in my life and many of them waited for that for many years. singing, shouting, jumping, crying...unbelievable.

I even spotted security guy singing Design!!!!

And after Tolerate we stood there and shouted for tens of minutes not accepting no encores.
Old 27-08-2013, 23:16
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Design For Manic View Post
really? here is a pride to be...
Word!

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 27-08-2013, 23:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Obligatory "I live in North America!" post before I go back to lurking.

I will say, though, that although it sucks not getting to see them live as often as those in the UK might be able to, Manics fans from all over the world are the best people - from the woman at my first and only Manics show plucking me a feather from Nicky's boa, to the person on this board who not only sent me a t-shirt, but also a magazine and pins and some letters - you're all incredibly welcoming of those of us over here.
Old 28-08-2013, 10:10
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
Those outside the UK cannot buy Amazon MP3 downloads, though. Odd, though, that they will send physical CDs.
They probably gain more profit through the postal fees.
Old 28-08-2013, 13:14

Well let me re-phrase.....it's difficult being a Manics fan in the US. I got to see them once in Philly for the JFPL tour, and it was amazing, there was like maybe 200 people there, they sounded fantastic, and I guess seeing them in such a small venue was something special. I guess that's something the UK fans don't get to see much.

I was just frusterated with the lack of support they get over here, it's probably from the B.S. record company politics.

I hope they do tour the US sometime in the future, I'll be there.
Old 29-08-2013, 17:59
Bored out of my mind

I'm sure they will play there again!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 29-08-2013, 20:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehenge View Post
Well let me re-phrase.....it's difficult being a Manics fan in the US. I got to see them once in Philly for the JFPL tour, and it was amazing, there was like maybe 200 people there, they sounded fantastic, and I guess seeing them in such a small venue was something special. I guess that's something the UK fans don't get to see much.

I was just frusterated with the lack of support they get over here, it's probably from the B.S. record company politics.

I get what you mean. You can get pretty much anything via the web but it would be nice to see them in your own media. Also seeing them live more than once would be cool. I'm sure not every US fan could make those tour dates 3 years ago. Plus if you hear an album you love you want to hear it live.

We're a bit spoilt over here
Old 30-08-2013, 17:04

I did love JFPL so getting to see them on that tour was pretty sweet. I actually found a live copy shortley there after. There was a taper there!
Old 31-08-2013, 11:39

I'm not sure I have a take on the "geography" per se, of being a fan .. but I do share at least the sentiment(?), of that I would love to be have more amenable access to the band - seeing them live more frequently, getting my hands on more tour merch etc.

I've lived in the US for about 11 years, and maybe because I still have family, friends etc in the UK, I've done OK getting my hands on the stuff I really wanted: official releases, namely. I have, as others have said, successfully bought stuff from "here" and either had it internationally shipped (which actually to be fair was an utter debacle in customer service from MyPlay when GT20 didn't show for weeks after "shipping" ... I digress) or shipped to a UK address and then posted here (I realize that might not be an option for all).

If I had one gripe (if you will) - I wish their online store was better ... or even existent for t-shirts and other tour merch. I get a little green streak of envy seeing the mugs, the badges etc and wish I could get my hands on that more (especially being "all growed up now" allegedly and having "very slightly" more feasibility to purchase this stuff and not being a 16 year old school kid when I first learned of the Manics).

That said too, I've done ok getting back to the UK to see family etc, and done it deliberately (as means permitted) when the Manics announced tour dates. I would love to see them come back here again; I know it was a costly venture (if I understood reports at the time) for the JFPL - US tour, but I thought across the 12 dates it showed there was a fan base, and they would continue to come back in time.
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18

Last edited by ooberfan; 31-08-2013 at 11:44.
Old 06-09-2013, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehenge View Post

It was an amazing show though. That's one good thing we get with UK bands that aren't big here. When they do finally play it's usually at a more intimate venue. I wish they would come back though. Still hoping for a Blur show or Suede one day (Suede US tour is probably very unlikely thanks to them hating having to be called London Suede because of that damn lounge singer that no one has ever heard of)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
It sucks to be Manics fan in UK.

You know...you go for a walk - Manics. You go to a gig - Manics, to the shop - manics... then you gradually stop appreciating that!
I think you mean 1D instead of Manics. *Crosses fingers for the imminent STOP of appreciation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
They probably gain more profit through the postal fees.
Should have quoted Frozendiva, but to lazy to go back to her post. We can buy Amazon mp3 here.