Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-09-2010, 10:03
A self-made vacuum

Would you rather have a KYE 10th Ann. Edition, a LB 10th ann. or SATT 10th ann?

I'd love KYE, because I love it more than the other two.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:09
I live to fall asleep

They only seem to reissue landmark albums with critical acclaim.
Rather than a traditional reissue, I'd like them to split KYE into two halves like they originally planned, remaster it and release a limited box set of that on CD and vinyl.
I'd buy one. That would be ace.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 19-09-2010, 10:09
Doors slowly closing

None of them deserve 10th anniversary editions
Old 19-09-2010, 10:11
Doors slowly closing

Know Your Enemy, because it'd probably benefit from some studio tweaking and it has some of my favourite songs on. And some of their worst.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
They only seem to reissue landmark albums with critical acclaim.
Rather than a traditional reissue, I'd like them to split KYE into two halves like they originally planned, remaster it and release a limited box set of that on CD and vinyl.
I'd buy one. That would be ace.
I don't think we need a reissue, but a 10th anniversary Lifeblood tour for all the fans who have stood up for that album, seeing as half the songs off the album were never even played live.

When are they going to do an acoustic set, they've been going on about that for years? I'm sure they'd be able to get it televised.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:15
Bored of being bored

KYE because its got the greatest b-sides and a remaster would be really cool.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
When are they going to do an acoustic set, they've been going on about that for years? I'm sure they'd be able to get it televised.
Aye. I've got a feeling they'll do another greatest hits in 2012 to celebrate their 20th anniversary.
Then they should do a lovely acoustic set in an old theatre, working mens club or sad Welsh chapel. Play in the round, surrounded by fans, film it, bosh.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 19-09-2010, 10:31
Winterlover

Get the KYE master tapes and start again from scratch! Haha!
Old 19-09-2010, 10:38
Doors slowly closing

there really isn't much one could say or expand on in regards of KYE - the album, the b-sides and the Cuba thing has that pretty much covered.

i'd love a LB retrospective, i will particularly enjoy watching the documentary and reading the essays each member of the band should be forced to make and write entitled "how not releasing 1985 as a single proved conclusively that we can be the biggest bellends on earth".

the 10th anniversary SATT will be class - the first time ever that a special edition album is shorter than the original release. i think we all know which song in particular will be omitted from the re-released tracklisting.
blog
Old 19-09-2010, 10:40
Winterlover

In an ideal world, all of them.

If I had to choose one, Lifeblood. Its b-sides would make an amazing bonus disc, the two Japanese bonus tracks never got a Western release and this'd be the ample opportunity for it, its studio-heavy musical approach would result in a bunch of highly interesting demos and prototype versions of songs recorded before the band went into studio to layer them up (as already witnessed by the more organic Fragments demo from the officially unreleased Patty-Jo videos) and because it was such a massive difference in style and recording process the accompanying texts in the booklet and possible DVD interviews would be far more interesting to read than the "yeah we know all this stuff already" babble of the THB and EMG reissues. And, you know, it's their best album.

I'd also adore a KYE one because it was a great period and because of the massive amounts of random work they did during the recording there's bound to be demos of unreleased songs from that period, some of them probably highly surprising even (after all, if Door to the River was from the KYE period...). Plus Fear of Motion needs a hi-quality release ASAP.

But like I said, in an ideal world I'd love a big proper re-release of all of the albums, with all the released material from the period gathered inside one cover. And re-re-release of the THB one so we could have the WHOPPING MASSIVE THREE b-sides on the second disc instead of bog-boring live faffle.

And I still want that goddamn TIMTTMY 10th anniversary box.

Last edited by Flint; 19-09-2010 at 10:46.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:49
Mr Msppedia

KYE, simply cause it sounds like thats the one with the most unreleased stuff and could do with a remastering. SATT they said they chucked any song that wasn't working (which i don't believe for a second with Nicky being such an archivist) such as The Ruins Of Spring I think it was. Lifeblood I don't think there's much you can do to it or add to it, it was just a different album and I cant imagine there being much leftovers

TIMT needs one first though, who cares if there's no significant anniversary coming up just release it
Old 19-09-2010, 10:51
A self-made vacuum

Know Your Enemy.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post

i'd love a LB retrospective, i will particularly enjoy watching the documentary and reading the essays each member of the band should be forced to make and write entitled "how not releasing 1985 as a single proved conclusively that we can be the biggest bellends on earth".
Have the band ever commented on why they didn't release it as a single? Out of all manics album tracks that maybe should have been singles, that stands out.
Old 19-09-2010, 11:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
Have the band ever commented on why they didn't release it as a single? Out of all manics album tracks that maybe should have been singles, that stands out.
not sure there was any official reason, popular belief has it that Empty Souls didn't sell well enough to push for a 3rd single; the planned b-sides for whatever the 3rd would have been are assumed to be those that turned up on God Save The Manics.

the more i think about it, the angirer i get and the more stupid the releases seem in retrospect. had that, rather than TLORN, been the first single, they and the album would have had a much, much wider audience - 1985 would have got loads more radio play for a start.
blog
Old 19-09-2010, 11:05
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post

the more i think about it, the angirer i get and the more stupid the releases seem in retrospect. had that, rather than TLORN, been the first single, they and the album would have had a much, much wider audience - 1985 would have got loads more radio play for a start.
Haha yeah. Plus they wouldn't look embarrassed playing 1985 live.