Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-09-2014, 15:27
Doors slowly closing

Love RTF (though have a love/hate relationship with RTF the song)

Futurology has some great bits and a few (FEW) duffers.

I wonder if 95% of RTF and 75% of FO could've worked as a monster album

Or futurology could've had more of the futuristic, harder edged songs to properly balance out RTF
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 16-09-2014, 08:17
Freed from the century

Rewind is what Coldplay would sound like if they were not wimpy up their own backside rubbish

It's great

Not keen on the new record
Old 16-09-2014, 12:14
Doors slowly closing

On hearing the title track of RTF, my immediate thought was "there's six minutes of my life I'll never get back". Only listened to the album once and can't say I was all that struck on it, but maybe it'll improve on future listens.

Futurology I rather like, despite all the modern bleepy stuff.
Old 16-09-2014, 23:05
Knowlede Is Power

I think Rewind the Film is fantastic. There are some fabulous tracks on it. At this point I definitely prefer it to Futurology though these things can change as you listen further and depending on where you are in your own life.
Old 18-09-2014, 20:51
Winterlover

Echoing (or reversing) what one or two others have said, I like Futurology but don't love any of it. RTF has tracks on it I love, and which made me unexpectedly well up more than once. Not that Futurology doesn't have its moments of honesty and self-criticism from Wire, but on RTF they make for something more intimate, with real depth and heart. The sonic adventures of Futurology simply leave less room for such an emotional connection to form.

Also, while I've warmed to the lightweight but cheerful SMTW, I don't think I'll ever warm to WMTTB. Those horrid keyboards and drums in the chorus, all turned up to ten. Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! If it's loud enough we hope you won't notice there's no tune! Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! Execrable.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 19-09-2014, 04:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Also, while I've warmed to the lightweight but cheerful SMTW, I don't think I'll ever warm to WMTTB. Those horrid keyboards and drums in the chorus, all turned up to ten. Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! If it's loud enough we hope you won't notice there's no tune! Duh-nuh-nuh-nuuuhhhhh! Execrable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... that bit is pure BBC Goal of the Month music. I can just hear it accompanying an Andy Carroll shot from nowhere (if he's ever fit again... )
Old 19-09-2014, 08:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I had similar thoughts at first, but then listened to it through headphones, rather than my crap phone speakers. Wire's bass totally makes that chorus. It's barely noticeable unless listened to closely, but it's ace.

You've probably tried this, to be fair.
Old 19-09-2014, 08:34
Bored out of my mind

Having listened to both this morning for the first time in a while, I'd say I prefer RTF. It hits me hard in the chest in a way Futurology hasn't quite managed. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Futurology too, but it just doesn't flow as well as an album for me and seems more disjointed. I prefer the lyrics on RTF too.
Old 22-09-2014, 10:29
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Couldn't sleep so decided to listen loud on headphones to both of them.
Futurology first and then RTF.

I've fallen back in love with RTF. But if it was between the two, I'd happily stick on Futurology.

So I don't prefer Rewind The Film to Futurology but see them as having the same worth as each other. What a difference a year makes, I've even fell back in love with SMTW!!
Old 23-09-2014, 19:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

cant stand RTF love Futurology, its a contender for my favorite album by the band, either that or GATS
Old 24-09-2014, 23:02
Freed from the century

I was really disappointed overall with RTF even though the album has some amazing songs on it. Other than a few tracks I didn't listen to it much after the first few weeks of getting it. I love how Futurology made me go back to RTF and listen to it in a different way. I now enjoy RTF, but there is something very special about Futurology for me. It's a very comforting album.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think, for me, asking that, is like a parent who their favourite child is. I absolutely love both albums. RTF is very slow and acoustic but still a wonderful album. Futurology is more, musically upbeat. I love both albums!

Sorry for Sitting on the fence!
Old 26-09-2014, 09:45
Born to end

RTF didn't do much for me. It seemed to lack texture and didn't really do anywhere. Futurology seemed much more like a defiant 'we do what we want' Manics album. Lots of ideas and sounds clattering around. I really love it. Dreaming a City did take the Themes for Great Cities blueprint a little too literally though...
Old 26-09-2014, 10:08
Doors slowly closing

I've been listening to both albums again this week and I now love both them equally but in different ways.

I feel like Rewind the Film has slightly more depth to it somehow, and feels like a more delicate, subtle album, whereas Futurology feels like a more sprawling monster, especially including the deluxe version's bonus tracks (which I do).

I like that they were released separately, but despite being very different I do feel there is a lot of connective tissue between the two albums. And I'm glad they didn't go all out for '70 songs...' because I think quality would have suffered. We can all just play Rewind The Film and Futurology + B-sides on repeat anyway

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 26-09-2014, 13:30
Born to end

Listened to both a lot recently and feel they are beautifully complimentary albums. However I have been veering towards RTF more, it just feels richer somehow.