Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-06-2012, 21:13
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Ha ha, lo-fi means putting no effort into production, it has its place.

No lie, I bloody love Ooh La. Hate everything else. The Cribs will leave more of a smell.
I corrected it for you Franny!
Old 30-06-2012, 21:14
Builder of routine

Now THAT is true, Ryan wears the same t-shirt all tour! Minging.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:15
Bored out of my mind

'Ooooooooooooooooh Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!.......................... ..................'

*smack!*

That's better!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-06-2012, 21:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
'Ooooooooooooooooh Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!.......................... ..................'

*smack!*

That's better!
petty petty petty petty petticoats.

Yeah it is dreadful, objectively, but I love it.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:18
Doors slowly closing

The Cribs' first three albums were great, particularly the third. They're intelligent people with excellent music taste and positive ideals regarding gender equality in the music industry. The album with Marr was mediocre but the new one is a lot better. I can see why people wouldn't like them and I can't comment on this cover version yet.

As for the Kooks comparison - they're about as similar as the Manics and Stereophonics.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:20
Winterlover

Quote:
No lie, I bloody love Ooh La. Hate everything else. The Cribs will leave more of a legacy.
I Want You Back or I Want It Back or something off the first album is the only one I think is any good really.
I mind the Cribs coming out back before i went to uni and everyone being dead into them. They've some good songs, but looking back they were a bit shite. But I thought they were great at the time! Martell and all! I think i was misguided, a bit like loving Babyshambles. My housemate put on a songs from a random 2004 megamix on Youtube the other night and it was mad how in vogue guitars and crappy indie music was back then. And we were all loving it! This is all related as i was out last night and they randomly played that Futureheads Kate Bush cover, and I'd not heard that on a night out in ages, whereas everytime we went out between 2004-2006 that song got played, we had a fucking dance routine and everything. Aah can't beat a bit of nostalgia. I'll think I'll always love all that indie shite cos it's linked to some great memories.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:21
Bored out of my mind

I just don't like The Cribs or The Kooks. End of!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 30-06-2012, 21:23
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
The Cribs' first three albums were great, particularly the third. They're intelligent people with excellent music taste and positive ideals regarding gender equality in the music industry. The album with Marr was mediocre but the new one is a lot better. I can see why people wouldn't like them and I can't comment on this cover version yet.

As for the Kooks comparison - they're about as similar as the Manics and Stereophonics.
This, Men's Needs... makes my top 20 albums. The perfect blend of indie and alternative rock. The presence of Lee Ranaldo just seals that.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:23
Under neon loneliness

The Futureheads had a few good songs. Same with Maximo Park who i thought would be more successful. Especially when crud like The Kaiser Chiefs made it big for year or two.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
The Futureheads had a few good songs. Same with Maximo Park who i thought would be more successful. Especially when crud like The Kaiser Chiefs made it big for year or two.
Jesus the Kaiser Chiefs. What the fuck was everyone thinking? Them songs have not aged well at all! The only semi-good song they had was Modern Way. Wasn't a bad wee tune, but jesus christ the rest of their stuff was shocking!!! I really think in 2004 people just settled for shite music and we all thought it was perfectly acceptable.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:27
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
The Futureheads aren't amazing, but they're consistently entertaining and hard-working. Agreeabout Maximo Park, although the new album is a bit weak, they should be massive, very intelligent.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:28
Bored out of my mind

Don't get me started on the Kaiser Chiefs............................................ ......
Old 30-06-2012, 21:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundthatsoul View Post
Jesus the Kaiser Chiefs. What the fuck was everyone thinking? Them songs have not aged well at all! The only semi-good song they had was Modern Way. Wasn't a bad wee tune, but jesus christ the rest of their stuff was shocking!!! I really think in 2004 people just settled for shite music and we all thought it was perfectly acceptable.
In 2004 I basically knew them and Franz Ferdinand, it was embarassing. Looking back I do have fondness for Modern Way and OMG. But they do need to fuck off now. I guess in '04, with Strokes mania, it paved the way for shit indie to do alright.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:30
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundthatsoul View Post
The Modern Way is the only song of theirs that i've bought. Even though it sounds like a long lost Pulp song. Which is a good thing obviously.
Quote:
The Futureheads aren't amazing, but they're consistently entertaining and hard-working. Agreeabout Maximo Park, although the new album is a bit weak, they should be massive, very intelligent.
I like the new Maximo Park single and the video with the guy miming to the song in his bedroom is quite cheeky.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:40
Winterlover

Quote:
In 2004 I basically knew them and Franz Ferdinand, it was embarassing. Looking back I do have fondness for Modern Way and OMG. But they do need to fuck off now. I guess in '04, with Strokes mania, it paved the way for shit indie to do alright.
Son in 2004 you must have been 11! It's ok, I liked Five when I was 11. You can't be held accountable for these actions although I also liked All Saints so I was deffo cool like.

I'm seriously mulling all this over in my head. this era of music. THE DARKNESS!!! How! Why! Where! And I bought the fucking album, I was brainwashed too! it's all so shit! Can we blame the Strokes for that too?! Let's just blame the Strokes for everything. And it was their fault, I mind hearing Hard to Explain on the Evening Session and thinking it was amazing, so they were the first new indie band I proper loved,and I just went on a downward spiral. FUCK THE STROKES!