Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-08-2012, 18:09
Doors slowly closing

1992 was - at least as far as the mainstream and fringes went - pretty fucking awful in regards of music. pre-Suede, the Stone Roses had fucked off, the Happy Mondays were coked up, Blur were just finding their feet (really a pop sound, listening to Leisure again). not much in the way of British rock / guitar bands making an impact and the charts were getting to be full of things that sounded good when you were ripped on E at a rave (The Shamen, I am looking at you).

for a British band to release a double lp of angry rock as a debut was insanely ambitious, really.
blog
Old 19-08-2012, 18:30
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Releasing a double lp as a debut is pretty ambitious in itself.

Plus, accepting that an album realised its ambition (which GT didn't really) is a completely different thing to accepting that the album was inherently ambitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 19-08-2012, 18:39
Doors slowly closing

92 had Slanted + Enchanted, Automatic For the People and Dirty, so it's not all bad.
Old 19-08-2012, 18:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
92 had Slanted + Enchanted, Automatic For the People and Dirty, so it's not all bad.
quite, but unless i missed something those three were three excellent American albums. the UK scene was less inspired.
blog
Old 19-08-2012, 19:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
1992 was - at least as far as the mainstream and fringes went - pretty fucking awful in regards of music. pre-Suede, the Stone Roses had fucked off, the Happy Mondays were coked up, Blur were just finding their feet (really a pop sound, listening to Leisure again). not much in the way of British rock / guitar bands making an impact and the charts were getting to be full of things that sounded good when you were ripped on E at a rave (The Shamen, I am looking at you).

for a British band to release a double lp of angry rock as a debut was insanely ambitious, really.
I couldn't agree with you more. It was the bleakest year for British rock or pop bands. Rough Trade had gone belly up. Indie was dead. Grunge was sticking it's ugly head around the door. All that kept me going during this year was Sarah Record releases and Morrissey's "Your Arsenal".
Old 20-08-2012, 13:40
An imitation of dignity

Finally got my net access back full time and discovered this thread. I can't be bothered searching back through the thread but is there any details about what is gonna be on this? I assume it will be similar to The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go anniversary editions with 2 cds and a dvd. I hope they include the b sides as well as demos and live tracks. I'm not a big fan of the US mixes so not fused about them being included. It would also be great if the DVD included live footage like the marquee, astoria and reading performances.
Old 20-08-2012, 14:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by withdraw/retreat View Post
Finally got my net access back full time and discovered this thread. I can't be bothered searching back through the thread but is there any details about what is gonna be on this? I assume it will be similar to The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go anniversary editions with 2 cds and a dvd. I hope they include the b sides as well as demos and live tracks. I'm not a big fan of the US mixes so not fused about them being included. It would also be great if the DVD included live footage like the marquee, astoria and reading performances.
There's no details yet, the only thing we vaguely know is that 1) there will apparently be multiple formats, 2) a documentary has been shot for the album and 3) at one point Wire talked about having found alternate versions (demos etc) for each song.
Old 20-08-2012, 17:22
An imitation of dignity

One version of Damn dog is bad enough don't think i want to hear another. Hopefully they'll include some of the sony demos (faceless sense of void, generation terrorists, etc..)

A documentary would be nice would be great and hopefully they won't be any Patrick Jones videos.

I don't like the sound of multiple copies, i've spent enough on Blur this year without the manics as well
Old 20-08-2012, 17:51
Builder of routine

i'll just buy the version with the extras. Not bothering with the single CD. Will they reissue the LP?
Old 20-08-2012, 17:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
It's not really about the music but about the band's attitude. The band wanted to be humongous and famous/infamous and GT would be their grand statement: they considered sandpaper sleeves that would destroy the albums next to it in the shelf, the famous "if we don't sell x million albums we'll split" statement and the general "blow up humongously and then throw it all away" plans, OTT antics like the 4REAL faffle to show how serious they were, the defiant "we are here and you WILL love us" attitude, etc. The music we got was glam/cock rock with budget drum production (although it's easy to hear that they wanted the album to sound MASSIVE as well but came across budget problems) but the ambition referred to came from the band itself - knowingly delusional in most cases, but something that was pretty much their trademark during that era.
Ok, that makes sense. Silly me for equating "ambitious album" with the quality of the music. It's the early Manics after all! Ha!

Actually, all the responses given make perfect sense. Still, I personally don't find it to be an ambitious album, but I don't find many debut albums in general that ambitious.

And yes, 1992 was indeed a shit year for music wih the exception of a few releases such as Dry. 1993 was infinitely better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 20-08-2012, 19:34
Bored of being bored

Is Damn Dog by the Manic Street Preachers take two going to feature? Maybe they got it right second time around?
Old 20-08-2012, 19:44
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Is Damn Dog by the Manic Street Preachers take two going to feature? Maybe they got it right second time around?
But the original is take one, two, three, four...
Beware!
Old 20-08-2012, 19:53
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
i'll just buy the version with the extras. Not bothering with the single CD. Will they reissue the LP?
+ 1 It's not my favourite album by a long chalk. I just want extras.
Old 20-08-2012, 20:01
Bored out of my mind

I'll buy whatever is available, crazy Manix fan that I am!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-08-2012, 20:04
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I'll buy whatever is available, crazy Manix fan that I am!
The perfect consumer for the ultimate manics products like shoeboxes and lipsticks in their singles box(doesn't includes all b-sides!)
Beware!