Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-11-2012, 16:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
What the hell, official site says the box set's sold out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
fuck me, I didn't order the box set in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2000 View Post
Of course the webstore sells out of the damn box set right as I go to buy it with the money I amassed from selling other records I actually would've rather kept.

FUck me running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothers_are_saints View Post
Gutted I was too skint to order the boxset! Damn it! :'(
relax and refer to this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0drnmoonlight View Post
Didn't the same thing happen with the National Treasures boxed set? Keep checking back!

the NT box set has been listed as in and out of stock for the last year now. i am not sure if it is some brilliant Sony marketing strategy or they do simply go and press more when the demand reflects it, but yes, do check in at the store site, i would be sure it will be available once again in the not too distant future.
blog
Old 05-11-2012, 16:40
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
the NT box set has been listed as in and out of stock for the last year now. i am not sure if it is some brilliant Sony marketing strategy or they do simply go and press more when the demand reflects it, but yes, do check in at the store site, i would be sure it will be available once again in the not too distant future.
I ordered the NT box set a few weeks ago. Said 2-3 days to process the order and get it sent out. Fortnight later they hadn't took the money so I ended up cancelling. Arses and elbows, I think.
Old 05-11-2012, 17:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

damn! i placed my order a while ago and just realized it was denied. i never got to resubmit my order due to the hurricane that hit NY.
Old 05-11-2012, 17:32
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I ordered the NT box set a few weeks ago. Said 2-3 days to process the order and get it sent out. Fortnight later they hadn't took the money so I ended up cancelling. Arses and elbows, I think.
yeah, but, correct me if i am wrong - i am no Franny, hence me not stalking or keeping a chart - you ordered it off some other site, not the official "My Play" store, no?
blog
Old 05-11-2012, 17:43
Under neon loneliness

You should all download it illegally in protest. V for Vendetta and all that.

I'm sure more will be made available. Sony tend to let people give them their money wherever possible.
Old 05-11-2012, 18:07

'Spent All Summer' is by far the most unexpected demo, IMHPOV. I think I never heard of it. Is that a drum machine or some electronic drumkit? I love it.

And about 'Behave Yourself Baby'. Has anyone noticed the mobile phone interference heard at around 00:15? It's impossible the original tapes got that noise, so it must be recorded during the transferring. That's not too professional!

Last edited by simbenia; 05-11-2012 at 18:10.
Old 05-11-2012, 18:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbenia View Post
'Spent All Summer' is by far the most unexpected demo, IMHPOV. I think I never heard of it. Is that a drum machine or some electronic drumkit? I love it.

And about 'Behave Yourself Baby'. Has anyone noticed the mobile phone interference heard at around 00:15? It's impossible the original tapes got that noise, so it must be recorded during the transferring. That's not too professional!
not heard it, but i am pretty sure mobile phones were not widespread when they recorded it. probably the sound of someone microwaving a pie.
blog
Old 05-11-2012, 18:12
Desire on its knees

anyone know the dates of the House in the Woods / Marcus demos? 1991?
Old 05-11-2012, 18:24
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
yeah, but, correct me if i am wrong - i am no Franny, hence me not stalking or keeping a chart - you ordered it off some other site, not the official "My Play" store, no?
I ordered from a site called Popmarket that's run by My Play so I don't know what they're playing at there.
Old 05-11-2012, 18:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I ordered from a site called Popmarket that's run by My Play so I don't know what they're playing at there.
Sony, basically.
blog
Old 05-11-2012, 18:51
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
My friend has ordered the legacy boxset from myplay.com on 1st November but still not had it and there is no tracking info.
Old 05-11-2012, 18:57
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
So what's the film like?
Didn't see the screening so can't compare but after watching it I didn't feel like I'd missed out on anything despite knowing that the DVD version is cut. Really, really enjoyed it. Can't really comment on picture/sound quality as I'm watching it on a teeny CRT telly but seems fine to me apart from some interviewees being quieter than others.

Loved the Super 8 home movie and the home road movie although I did get a bit sad seeing a playful/smiley Richey and knowing that he's not here to celebrate this with the others.

Overall a very happy Manics fan with just the legacy edition.
Old 05-11-2012, 19:18
A self-made vacuum

Listening to the demos at the minute. really enjoying them, still on cd 2. quality of damn dog is quite bad, heard a better version on a pro shot bootleg video, so i know a better version exists.

added the artwork on the mp3s i ripped and grabbed the artwork off itunes, seems the cover has been slightly tweeked.
Old 05-11-2012, 19:38

I noticed this customer review on Amazon (still waiting for mine):

This new remastered version of 'GT' comes in a selection of formats, the standard version, the deluxe version and the very deluxe version, the standard version is remastered but like any album that's only 20 years old, it's not like they've dug up a Blind Willie McTell session and dusted it down, you'll hear little bits and pieces that sound different but probably not enough to purchase it if you already own it.
The deluxe version (2CD/DVD) contains a CD of 18 demo versions, the Heavenly versions of MOTOWN JUNK and YOU LOVE US, a live bootleg of DAMN DOG and the tracks are in the same running order as 'GT' with the extras tagged on at the end, the only song not included is CONDEMNED TO ROCK'N'ROLL as presumably it was never demoed. You're probably not going to listen to it instead of the original album but it's worth owning to hear alternate lyrics, a storming version of BORN TO END and LOVE'S SWEET EXILE with the 'We Love You' chorus.
The deluxe version also includes a DVD with all the promo videos plus a couple of new ones although it's worth pointing out that MSP don't appear in the new ones, there's also Top Of The Pops appearances for YOU LOVE US/ MOTORCYCLE EMPTINESS/ MASH, Snub TV and Rapido appearances and MSP at the Band Explosion gig from the Marquee in 1991 although, if my memory serves me right there's also an interview and a performance of STAY BEAUTIFUL that was on the TV which isn't on this DVD, there's also 40 minutes of Super 8 film footage from 91/92 but the best part of the DVD by far is the 76 minute documentary CULTURE, ALIENATION, BOREDOM AND DESPAIR which sees James, Nicky and Sean talking about the early days along with contributions from Bob Stanley, Martin Hall and Steve Brown, as usual with any MSP interviews, they're warm, intelligent and witty, it's mainly James and Nicky with Sean chipping in every so often with some dry wit, watch out for a particularly funny mention of The Dogs D'Amour (As an aside, I'd recommend the original versions of A GRAVEYARD OF EMPTY BOTTLES and IN THE DYNAMITE JET SALOON if you want a slice of The Dogs sleaze rock).
There's also a very deluxe version of 'GT' which I believe is available from MSPs website although I'm sure they'll filter down to E-Bay and your local record emporium in no time, it's limited to 3000 (I think) and costs Ģ45, it includes the deluxe version plus a 3rd CD of 22 b-sides and demo tracks, a 10" EP of MSPs Radio 1 session, a replica tour pass and a deluxe booklet.
Phew!!!
The music? I'm not sure a review of 'GT' is really necessary but if you've read this far, welcome to the birth of the Manic Street Preachers.
2002-11-05 Amsterdam Paradiso (NL)
2002-12-07 London Wembley Arena (UK)
2002-12-08 London Brixton Academy (UK)
2004-12-09 London Wembley Arena (UK)
2007-04-14 Cologne E-Werk (GER)
2007-05-30 London Astoria (UK)
2007-05-31 London Shepherd's Bush Empire (UK)
2011-01-22 London Brixton Academy (UK)
2011-12-17 London O2 Arena (UK)
2014-04-11 London Brixton Academy (UK)
2014-12-15 London Roundhouse (UK)
2016-04-29 Amsterdam Paradiso (NL)
2016-05-28 Swansea Liberty Stadium (UK)

Old 05-11-2012, 20:17
Bored out of my mind

I'm listening to the demos right now! Loving it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)