Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I really want a Manics album called "Tell It To The Marines".
It'd have a SATT like cover and basically be full of all the types of album styles Nicky said the band would do?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32
Bored of being bored

I'm still waiting for the Nine Inch Nails vs. Pantera vs. Screamadelica follow-up to THB.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

Until album number 11 is our hands, lets just keep some faith

Manic Gig Roll Call
30/05/2009 Roundhouse, London
31/10/2010 De Montford Hall, Leicester
17/12/2011 o2, London
Old 12-09-2010, 13:30
Administrator

Non-commercial does not automatically mean good. I just wish they'd stop worrying about what audience the songs were for or what the album is intended to achieve, and just be artists writing good songs that they are the best they can do and they are happy with.
Old 12-09-2010, 13:35
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Non-commercial does not automatically mean good. I just wish they'd stop worrying about what audience the songs were for or what the album is intended to achieve, and just be artists writing good songs that they are the best they can do and they are happy with.
Well said!
Old 12-09-2010, 13:40
Builder of routine

Aye, they should do what makes them happy, though a triple album would indirectly make me very happy too.
Old 12-09-2010, 16:07
Desire on its knees

I love the madness of the the idea, but the long, dark shadow of KYE makes me think otherwise...
Old 12-09-2010, 16:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
I think they should explore that weird post-rocky sound they showcased on 'The Vorticists' and make a really solid 10 track pop album of weird sounds and weirder lyrics. It would be quite refreshing and wouldn't be a re-hashing of EMG/SATT or THB/JFPL.
This
Old 12-09-2010, 16:24
Freed from the century

Oh lol, Nicky.

That is all.
Old 12-09-2010, 16:37
Bored out of my mind

70 songs eh? Does this mean they have a stash tucked away somewhere? Good to see something by John Earls, greatly missing what would have been the week for the single review of It's Not War on Teletext!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-09-2010, 17:13
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
I think they should concentrate on writing an album with 12 songs on it and not having to resort to repeating themsleves by the second verse of the opening song.
Yep, I'm getting really tired of that. Far too many MSP lyrics over the past few years have had identical verses. If he can't write more than about eight lines on a subject, then perhaps it's not a subject worth writing about...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
I think they should explore that weird post-rocky sound they showcased on 'The Vorticists' and make a really solid 10 track pop album of weird sounds and weirder lyrics. It would be quite refreshing and wouldn't be a re-hashing of EMG/SATT or THB/JFPL.
I would love that, as The Vorticists is by far my most listened to Manics song since THB (1985 is maybe up there too). I can't believe such a great piece of music was left to rot as a fucking b-side on a vinyl single, whereas dross like Autumnsong appears to have become a live staple. There's that bit from their last "blog" (i.e. interview) where Nicky says
Quote:
I think with the Manics there’s the Holy Bible/Journal For Plague Lovers novel, that’s one entity when we’re at our best and then there’s Everything Must Go/Send Away The Tigers at the other end of our spectrum.
That bit pissed me off, because by saying their THB/JFPL side is them at their best, he's effectively admitting that he knows their EMG/SATT side is shit. So in other words, they know perfectly well that they're putting out substandard songs, at least in comparison to what they can do. No band should be putting out albums that deep down they KNOW is not the best they can do. It's fucking cheeky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Exactly. Artists create the best work they can, and leave it up to the public to shape their opinions around the results. Artists don't "give them what they want" so to speak, because that's when you start just regurgitating poor imitations of yourselves. No wonder they re-signed with Sony - both parties want to do the exact same thing: create music they already know the public likes and will therefore buy. Trying to infiltrate the public conscious by planting insubordinate lyrics within popular music is no longer an excuse that will wash, because they stopped trying that years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiortranew View Post
I'm still waiting for the Nine Inch Nails vs. Pantera vs. Screamadelica follow-up to THB.
Oh come ON! Name ONE song on EMG that doesn't have hints of all three bands. Further Away is such a blatant rip-off of Walk by Pantera...
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 12-09-2010, 17:15
An imitation of dignity

Well it's an apt title anyway. They're gonna fail and I'm gonna hate it...
Old 12-09-2010, 17:37
Freed from the century

Triple album? Nah, make it quadruple. And title it that way.
Manic Street Preachers - Quadruple. Sounds good to me
Or "Quadruple Slash Sprawling" - that's another great title.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Manic Street Preachers - Sandinista! II (and then some).
Old 12-09-2010, 17:53
Bored of being bored

Sandinista! is the perfect example why huge projects like this almost always fail.