Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-02-2019, 09:06
Winterlover

Never ever would have thought I’d be tolerating, nevermind entertaining these ideas, but considering what’s been coming out with this book - just the slow drip of tidbits we’ve had from it, God knows what’ll come of the whole damn thing - I very sadly don’t think these wonderings are unreasonable anymore. I’m much more shocked at what has provoked them. We do not at all appear to be dealing with what we always assumed we were and so question marks are not undue. I think up til this point everyone has been extremely respectful and yes, this isn’t so much, but very well warranting consideration at this point.
Old 21-02-2019, 09:38
Knowlede Is Power

Ok, im taking one for the team. Iv pre ordered the book so you all dont have to!

Please dont kill me, i dont approve of the book either but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. At least it'll be fun debunking it.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:20
Knowlede Is Power

I don't think there's been a single thing out of order said on this thread. It's certainly better than letting the forum just die out!
And nobody has gone out of their way to be controversial.
Maybe I'm getting very cynical in my old age but I just have a feeling there will be a monetary element involved somewhere along the line. Otherwise I really, really don't get it.
All the reclaiming Richey crap is galling. Don't write a f'ing book then! I am flabbergasted that the authors haven't been told that this is a ridiculous soundbite to use. There isn't any noble intention behind it, its about stirring shit up and making a bit of money doing so.
Printing his letters and other personal stuff is pretty low in my opinion. If he is alive then maybe this would draw him out of the woodwork? I would be livid. So maybe that's their tactics? Doubt it though.

I will read the relevant sections of the book where the band is slated. I will be very objective and draw my own conclusions.

To come on this thread and say we shouldn't be discussing certain issues is pretty annoying. SHR started this shit so why shouldn't she and all involved be pulled up on their bullshit?

Last edited by beautifuldistortion; 21-02-2019 at 10:24.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:36
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Sorry, I've seen implication that band waited for Richey to be declared dead, before releasing JPFL so that they could keep his royalties.

Quote:
That being 2008, JFPL coming out in 2009... I am suddenly... making connections
I'm not one to talk but I wish people would take a minute to think about what they've written before clicking the post button.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 21-02-2019, 10:42
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Ok, im taking one for the team. Iv pre ordered the book so you all dont have to!

Please dont kill me, i dont approve of the book either but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. At least it'll be fun debunking it.
That's fine, honestly, I'm curious about the contents as well. Nothing can ruin my fandom affection for the band anyway. Besides that, it's not like you'll get hypnotised by the book. Taking in information with a grain of salt is our specialty, isn't it?
Old 21-02-2019, 10:49
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Sorry, I've seen implication that band waited for Richey to be declared dead, before releasing JPFL so that they could keep his royalties.

I'm not one to talk but I wish people would take a minute to think about what they've written before clicking the post button.
That was never implied! I'm gutted you feel that it was!
That is literally just putting words into mouths.

I am damn sure the band were only to happy to pay royalties and that it could be used by the Edwards family where necessary.
As he has been declared dead for a long time now and that they write all their own lyrics and music I think it would be more than reasonable for them to not have to pay anything further. I strongly suspect that they would look after Richey in the event of a return, financially and otherwise.

This has actually upset me that you've spoken like this.There has been nothing but respect shown by pretty much everything written on this thread.
I see nothing wrong with speculating on the reasons for this travesty of a book and as to the reasons why Rachel now clearly hates the band members.
I fail to see what the issue is from Rachels side. The lyrics for JFPL were used with permission. If there is something else then it should be stated.

The band has been so respectful, they didn't call this on. Without all the information and with SHR being to pussy to actually state what the issues are from Rachel then we have to cover all possibilities when discussing what could have happened.
The authors put this in the public domain, so I for one am not going to be scared of saying what I feel about it.

Last edited by beautifuldistortion; 21-02-2019 at 10:52.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

Oh God, that was not what I meant at all, apologies for being unclear! I meant perhaps Rachel’s issue with the band was either borne of, or exacerbated by, the change in payments to Richey’s estate - with the declaration/JFPL seeming the turning point for all that.

EDIT: bit lost as to how you arrived at that reading of what I said tbh, with all the surrounding posts clarifying the topic of conversation. See also: every other post I’ve ever made defending this band like a mama bear

Last edited by sofarsideways; 21-02-2019 at 11:26.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:00
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post

You're a brave, brave soul and I salute you.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:24
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
That's fine, honestly, I'm curious about the contents as well. Nothing can ruin my fandom affection for the band anyway. Besides that, it's not like you'll get hypnotised by the book. Taking in information with a grain of salt is our specialty, isn't it?
This is exactly my reasoning. Im perfectly capable of drawing my own conclusions.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

I agree with that.

I'm looking forward to see the band in concert again in the next few months.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:54

Is any of the cash from sales going to the Missing Persons charity?

I really, honestly don't see dollar being much of a motive for Rachel. I also can't see (but correct me if I'm wrong), that she'd have a problem with them "cashing in" on JFPL. The remaining members of the band are reasonably wealthy and appear to live a modest life considering their bank balance.

I even think that it isn't a driving factor for SHR (definitely NOT white knighting!), because as much of an ugly person she appears to be, she seems driven more by wanting some kind of notability in the world of Richey. I can only think of her as an obsessive fan at this point. I also think she might've thought this would help her climb the ladder to a career in writing which hasn't taken off so far (even though there seems to be a lack of self awareness and doesn't see how embarrassing this book really is).

Like everyone else, I have no idea why Rachel turned on the band so vehemently. Grief, as we've discussed. She believes the band contributed to whatever her bro decided to do.

I DO believe that SHR's really poured the petrol on the fire and fueled Rachel's dislike of the band. I even think she possibly egged her on to post here. She's given Rachel (probably) false information about how the band are cunts and from that seed it's grown into them being mega cunts and the reason for Richey to fuck off.

SHR is, as popular jargon goes, a very toxic person, and it appears to me that she's fucked with Rachel's mind, which is going to be fragile considering her tragedy.
Old 21-02-2019, 12:36

In my opinion, if Richey was alive and not thought to be not alive, he would have the most respect for his sister than anyone. Because of her comittment and what must be constantly draining emotional work and with no regard to pay. I'm sure regardless that she can still think for herself, but obviously has most regard with her brother. She stated in the description of the book that it's 'open to the reader to draw their own conclusions'. From what has been stated, it doesn't seem she has hatred for the band, but possibly trying to find answers, compared to what's already known that lead to nothing. I think most of the hate on here seems to be aimed at SHR who obviously has problems, but Rachel has trusted someone with problems to write about Richey with a different view and clearly stirring controversy but I doubt any financial gain is important to her, possibly the same as Richey would think.
Old 21-02-2019, 12:56

My main question is why the hell does SHR hate the band so much? I don't get how someone can show so much contempt for a band whose music she doesn't even care for.

I've mentioned that I'm an old fan and I really don't have much enthusiasm for the band's music any more, but I can still respect the fact that they're great musicians. With regards to Richey, they've always, always shown nothing but respect and the way they dealt with JFPL was admirable.

This vindictiveness really makes no sense at all. I'm not going to be armchair psychologist, but there're some really strange things going on in her head. As much as I dislike her, I hope she gets to deal with her issues and move on at some point because this is unhealthy.
Old 21-02-2019, 13:36
Knowlede Is Power

I believe some of Rachel's anger and therefore some of SHR's anger should be directed at Richey himself.
Nobody forced him to leave. Or maybe this is what they are getting at. Maybe they are going down the route of the band forcing him to quit or whatever led him to going.
I don't believe that for a second, but it might be stuck in their heads.

If they believe that not enough was done when he first left then I can kind of understand, for about 2 minutes and then you only have to realise that he was a grown man, he clearly chose to go missing and he refused to contact anyone to let them know he was safe. If he had fallen out with the band surely he could have called his parents or his sister to let them know he was struggling but OK.

I think as has been said before by others that SHR is the main culprit and has latched onto Rachel's upset and blown it out of all proportion. The band do not deserve this.
My fears are being realised if that twitter link of the review by an ex manics fan is anything to go by. Some people believe any old tripe that's written down.
Old 21-02-2019, 13:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
My main question is why the hell does SHR hate the band so much?
This is so strange. While I knew her as SHR on here, I recently realised I knew her far better as "4Real_03" on the Official Manics forum that was up and running many years ago now. It closed, I think, just over a decade ago. I forget why. Anyway, she was all over that place around 2004-2006 ish. She would have been a kid back then, so I cut her some slack for that. But she was unconscionably rude to people, abusive and vindictive towards the others posting there. There was a photo thread in which we posted pics of ourselves and she was fat-shaming people left, right and centre. She was purely hateful. And, of course, she loathed the remaining band members and everything they did. As far as the problems Richey had, she is part of it. She is part of that problem.

So not only does she hate the band with an all-consuming passion, she has done for many, many years. She's obsessed with them in the worst possible way. But she was too young to have been around when Richey first went and now she's trying to reopen those old wounds in the fandom. She's trying to divide them and make them choose between Richey and the others.

Obviously, she's not well herself. No one gets on like this if they're perfectly healthy, balanced individuals. They just don't. And while I'm sorry for her troubles, whatever they may be, I'm not going to enable her or validate her cruel behaviour in any way.