Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-12-2010, 15:32
Builder of routine

i do prefer the demo of golden platitudes without the choir
Old 02-12-2010, 15:43
Knowlede Is Power

Point taken.
However, I honestly do think that certain posts seem to indicate only THB style music/lyrics/mindset is acceptable otherwise I wouldn't have any reason to post my thoughts!!
There are certain tracks I don't like but I wouldn't dismiss any albums in their entirety.
So obviously if there are certain tracks that are very good - brilliant, then by defintion an album can't be all bad!
I think the weakest point on PFAYM for me would be Hazelton Avenue, but it doesn't ruin the rest of the album.
I also never 'got' indian summer on SATT but it's still a perfectly adequate album (ok maybe we should expect more than adequacy).
I understand that some people may expect more from the band they love, but I personally feel that each album is a reflection of the bands feelings at each specific point in time. As a fan I'm happy to go along with that
These are only my opinions, and as much as I'm aware that people may expect different things, please also respect the fact that I am defending a band that I also love dearly.
Old 02-12-2010, 15:49
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
The point I was making is that the negativity borders on hatred, and in many (not all, granted) cases the posts seem to indicate that only Richey style lyrics will do.
I completely understand that some people will relate more to THB or JFPL that is down to persnal taste, nothing wrong with that.
I also don't expect people to blindly agree with or like everything the band does (believe me, I have differing opinions on a lot of stuff!).
But the arguments do always seem to point to JFPL or THB as being the sort of music certain posters expect. Obviously these were two exceptional albums, but personally I love the fact that each abum can be so vastly different, musically, lyrically and in production.
We truly should appreciate and celebrate the fact that we follow a band who are not afraid to try things and are still here for us to enjoy.
I've read plenty of reasoned posts by people who don't like PFAYM and their reasoning has absolutely nothing to do with Richey or THB. I've seen plenty of posts from people saying that the standard of songs just isn't up to scratch and that they're capable of better. That doesn't mean we all want Richey to waltz back in and write another THB.

I also don't think the negative reaction to PFAYM has anything to do with trying to be 'different' either. For every album there are going to be those that like it and those that don't, even on a Manics forum.

Quote:
The band themselves have said that maybe there are two versions of themselves, surely this should go some way to pleasing most fans?!
Not really, because they've managed to restrict themselves to two levels when I've always considered them more multi-layered than that. In dividing themselves up into two sounds they're dismissing anything else that doesn't fit in with the two and I kind of feel like they're doing themselves a disservice by simplifying it so much. I'd rather they just made music than decide which category their next album must fit into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
It's the music and production I hate on PFAYM. Not the lyrics. I prefer Wire's lyrics most of the time. Personally, I haven't seen anyone who has posted anything suggesting they are trying not to like it "to be cool". People are getting wound up and having to make their point as to why they don't like the album more and more astrongly and angrily because people are suggesting they're wrong and shouldn't be manics fans. Its incredibly annoying.
Yep, tbh the lyrics aren't even my main problem with PFAYM. In fact, they're a massive improvement on SATT. The music is always the most important factor for me and I don't think the songs themselves have been very strong, with the exception of one or two tracks. So for me, this has zero to do with longing for the days of Richey's lyrics and wanting them to do another THB (I wasn't even a fan back then and have never really been that fussed about Richey in all honesty) and more to do with the fact I consider a large portion of the album to be a bunch of mediocre songs I had to force myself to listen to upon getting the album. But I still went to see them several times on the tour and still love a lot of their other albums, so I'm not ready to resign from Manics fandom just yet
Old 02-12-2010, 22:21
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Seems some people just like to be 'different' or 'cool' or whatever! maybe they think being overly critical is a way to get them noticed?!
I think it is a great album. Golden Platitudes is a wonderful song, SKON is heartfelt and the use of the choir lends it a classic sounding quality. A billion balconies just plain rocks!
I genuinely think that in years to come I will still be playing this and it is on a par with EMG.
Nicky Wire is NOT Richey Edwards, but writes songs just as beautifully. He gave us Design for life, Tolerate and now continues to write outstanding songs.

All the negative people really should just move on and find a new band to love.
It is NOT 1994, get over it, move on.
Enjoy this great band for as long as we have them
Well said mate!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-12-2010, 00:21
Winterlover

To be honest, Manic should be in a higher place but that's great too

I love this album and I listen to it so many time and never get sick of it.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22
Bored out of my mind

I never get bored of the Manics full stop. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I know not everyone will like/love everything. But those of us who DO like all/most of their stuff are gonna be passionate about it so you are just gonna have to put up with us. We're not going anywhere!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48
Knowlede Is Power

^^^
Old 03-12-2010, 10:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

This has nothing to do with the (rather de-railed) thread or the subject at hand but...am I the only one who quite likes Hazelton Avenue? I just like the Brian May sound in the guitars.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:32
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Kettle View Post
This has nothing to do with the (rather de-railed) thread or the subject at hand but...am I the only one who quite likes Hazelton Avenue? I just like the Brian May sound in the guitars.
I quite like it! Haha
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I never get bored of the Manics full stop. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I know not everyone will like/love everything. But those of us who DO like all/most of their stuff are gonna be passionate about it so you are just gonna have to put up with us. We're not going anywhere!
yeah, but that's missing the point entirely.
No one would dream of telling you or anyone else that you shouldn't like the albums/ songs they don't like, it's really irritating and patroninsing being told you're wrong to not like something, and that "how can you be a manics fan if you don't like X".
Old 03-12-2010, 13:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
A billion balconies just plain rocks!
That would be my problem with it. The 'just plain' part, I mean. I've had my fill of 'just plain rocking' from the Manics, and it doesn't get more plain than that song. It often got as plain on SATT, but not more.

I've actually ended up preferring what would be commonly perceived as the naff songs on PFAYM. Balconies and All We Make Is Entertainment are just shouty earaches to me. Wishing it was 1994? No way. Wishing they had the guts to continue their career after Lifeblood instead of six years of in your face nostalgia? Yep.

James lost his rock voice ages ago. Maybe if he realised that, he wouldn't keep putting himself in a position where he has to cancel things.
Old 03-12-2010, 13:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Kettle View Post

Yes rather derailed thread indeed!!! But hey, thats what forums are for, expressing opinions and airing views. In my opinion, I think PFAYM is a great little album with some corking songs, but I agree with the production issues on some tracks. I Think I Found It could've been beefed up and so could Billion Balconies (especially where James goes falsetto in the build up to the choruses, couldnt he just have screamed them out like we know he can) and Dont Be Evil could have been heavier, even though theyre still good songs.
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 03-12-2010, 13:52
Footprint of history

Quote:
The point I was making is that the negativity borders on hatred, and in many (not all, granted) cases the posts seem to indicate that only Richey style lyrics will do.
I challenge you to find a single example of that.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:29
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I challenge you to find a single example of that.
Oh there are a few!
Why though would I want to name names? I'm not out to stir or cause trouble, I am just sticking up for a band I love and wearing my heart on my sleeve.

What I will say is that comments along the lines of: Cut James' voice from SKON, the Manics are in James Blunt territory, they are selling out for going on Strictly etc (not direct quotes), seem quite hateful to me!
People are so very quick to accuse others of selling out, I really don't understand why?
The Manics have made it clear from day one (Nicky in particular) that they wanted to be popular. We are just going round in circles, I know I wont change anyones mind, but that wont stop me from defending the band I love most.
I think I am most upset that everyone doesn't just sit back and enjoy the strictly performance, personally I would watch whatever show they appear on 'cos I'm a fan.
ALL bands advertise in all sorts of ways, that is all this appearance is - how the hell should bands survive if they are not allowed to peddle their wares?!
Seems people get too highly strung about it - and that leads to these sort of arguments/discussions.
Because some of the posters here are passionate about the band, all they are doing is projecting their feelings and hoping others will feel the same. Maybe at times it is misplaced and I have clearly accepted and always will accept that people have different tastes, but why should being positive about the band be the wrong thing to do?

My point regarding Richey style lyrics (perhaps I should have included mentioning the 'darker' tone music - apologies) was that some people prefer the version of the band that released JFPL, I can see why, I loved it! However the PFAYM style is then slagged off, pretty harshly!
Rightly or wrongly all I'm doing is defending my favourite band.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:38
Knowlede Is Power

Oh, and just have a look at the 'Postcards' thread, there were posts on there hating the album before it was even released
Now that is just silly!