Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-04-2015, 18:05
Winterlover

Futurology seems to have been a critical smash in a far more noticeable way than any of the recent previous albums were, so maybe they'll actually be willing to stand behind their latest creation for once.
Old 13-04-2015, 18:11
Freed from the century

Hopefully. They still recall SATT fondly, so there are exceptions to their tradition.
Old 13-04-2015, 18:16
Freed from the century

Nicky looks (excuse the pun) bored out of his mind in the video. Great song though. He does seem hate almost anything they released 2001-2005, after all.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 13-04-2015, 19:24
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I've always thought that by playing badly reviewed or low sales songs live and pulling it off and the crowd loving it would be a good fuck you to people who don't appreciate their songs but they rarely seem to want to do it. They always seem to disown previous albums pretty quickly, with some notable exceptions. Futurology will probably be no different.
I think 'Futurology' will be different because the reviews were so good. They haven't criticised 'Journal For Plague Lovers' either, probably for the same reason.
Old 13-04-2015, 20:26
Administrator

Perhaps. Although they also play nothing from that one too. Lifeblood had some good reviews at the time too. I'm not sure it's really matters, once they make up their mind about an album that seems to be it.
Old 13-04-2015, 23:07
Doors slowly closing

Their reasons for not playing JFPL songs are absurd. If they can't play tracks from that record, how can they play THB in its entirety?
Old 13-04-2015, 23:22
Winterlover

I can understand how they'd find it particularly hard emotionally to play tracks from Journal live whilst not The Holy Bible....Journal is their interpretation, didn't maybe have Richey's full participation/approval and it's much more raw than the Bible, more like notes/diaries from the hospital. It's brilliant, I'm glad they released it but I can see why they'd find it hard to play it live

But on to There By The Grace of God - it's one of my favourite Manic songs, I love the simplicity of - With grace we will suffer - With grace we shall recover -
There by the grace of God, the quiet dignity of it
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 14-04-2015, 07:06
Freed from the century

The acoustic version with strings is brilliant. I also fondly remember the 'no way is it a Marilyn Manson quote ' (clearly is) discussion on here at the time
Old 14-04-2015, 18:50
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Perhaps. Although they also play nothing from that one too. Lifeblood had some good reviews at the time too. I'm not sure it's really matters, once they make up their mind about an album that seems to be it.
Well...maybe a few, but not that many, and probably not from the publications that most matter to them - the NME for example. Generally the 'Lifeblood' reviews were decidedly 'meh', it sold badly, and the band weren't happy with it when they released it. Plus I suspect it's a faff to play a lot of the songs because of how electronic it is.

'Journal' was a one-off artistic statement, and the decision not to release singles from it suggests they don't like the idea of the songs being taken out of the context of the whole record. Which is a shame, and I hope they change their minds in future.

'Futurology' on the other hands has gotten their best reviews since 'Everything Must Go' and from quite trendy publications too, not the mags like 'Mojo' (which is my favourite music mag, because I'm getting old) that deal with albums by people now in their 40s and upwards.
Old 14-04-2015, 18:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
The acoustic version with strings is brilliant. I also fondly remember the 'no way is it a Marilyn Manson quote ' (clearly is) discussion on here at the time
I like the strings version but it sounds weirdly like a demo rather than a polished ballad like 'Door To The River'. I much prefer the proper version myself but I'm glad the acoustic version exists too.
Old 14-04-2015, 20:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Well...maybe a few, but not that many, and probably not from the publications that most matter to them - the NME for example. Generally the 'Lifeblood' reviews were decidedly 'meh', it sold badly, and the band weren't happy with it when they released it.
I don't think that's really true. At the time it had quite a few good reviews and good press. I agree it perhaps didn't sell as much as they wanted though and they have a bad impression of it, but that's really what I was saying.

Quote:
Plus I suspect it's a faff to play a lot of the songs because of how electronic it is.
Maybe, but they could rework it a bit like on the 2005 tour I suppose.

Quote:
'Futurology' on the other hands has gotten their best reviews since 'Everything Must Go' and from quite trendy publications too, not the mags like 'Mojo' (which is my favourite music mag, because I'm getting old) that deal with albums by people now in their 40s and upwards.
Maybe, only time will tell.

Last edited by Takk; 14-04-2015 at 20:13.
Old 14-04-2015, 20:12
Winterlover

I love seeing that promo quote-a-thon again, just to see that it got reviews in Attitude, Nuts and Heat.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 14-04-2015, 21:04
I live to fall asleep

Some of those quotes are so carefully selected it hurts. I'm sure the 'Q' one was only about '1985' rather than the whole album, and the 'NME' one spent more time attacking 'Know Your Enemy' than it did talking about 'Lifeblood' - saying it was their best album since 'Everything Must Go' wasn't much of a statement given how much the reviewer clearly hated the two albums in between. Most of the good reviews came from the kind of publications that cater for the kind of audience the Manics have never quite been comfortable with I think - a great review in 'The Independent' probably wasn't high on their list of things they wanted to achieve with 'Lifeblood'.

Leaving reviews aside, the band have said that thanks to hearing a Cardigans single that was everything they were trying, and failing, to achieve with 'Lifeblood' they were disappointed with it before it was even released, something I don't think they'd say about 'Futurology'.
Old 14-04-2015, 21:12
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Leaving reviews aside, the band have said that thanks to hearing a Cardigans single that was everything they were trying, and failing, to achieve with 'Lifeblood' they were disappointed with it before it was even released, something I don't think they'd say about 'Futurology'.
Which Cardigans single did they mean? You're The Storm?
Old 16-04-2015, 19:06
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I love this song, one of my favs and James looks so hot in the video