Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-01-2011, 20:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I'd agree with this, not many people outside Wales would know of Dylan Thomas
Is this really true? How?
It needs fixing if it is.
Old 28-01-2011, 21:07
Stretched out in the sun

still very much doubt it'll happen,they may have well asked anyone's opinion on the matter, Davies doesn't count in this anymore. Although I massively disagree that moffat ruined the show, I like him. Anyways, even if it is true that not many people know about Dylan Thomas (I studied some of his work at school, so I'm sure there are quite a lot of people out there), surely making the 'who stroyline would advertise him more?

Still, highly, highly doubt it will happen.
Old 28-01-2011, 21:20
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
There are 5 people in my house and I'm the only one who has heard of him, only through being a film fan, liking Richard Burton and knowing he starred in Under MIlk Wood. I have two working collegues here who both finished Uni last year with degrees and they have'nt heard of him, though I just asked them to name the leader of the Labour Party and they did'nt know that, couple of dozy tarts
Old 28-01-2011, 21:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
he isn't known to the wider audience, I first read his poems after being interested in the Manics to be honest. he didn't get any awards, no nobel prize or anything so people are not interested.

AND MAKING THE EP WOULD BE A FANTASTIC IDEA OF THE PROPAGANDA SO WE CAN SHOW THE GENIUS OF THIS WONDERFUL POET TO THE WHOLE WORLD YAY YOU ARE A GENIUS, NICKY WIRE!!!!!!
Old 28-01-2011, 21:39
Stretched out in the sun

Hahaha I thought Wire was taking the piss when he said he'd been writing a script.

Ok, we had that scene where The Master was dancing to Scissor Sisters. Wonder how Manics would fit in....
Old 28-01-2011, 21:52
A self-made vacuum

I loved the last series of Doctor Who but I think that's just because Matt Smith made a nice change and it was nice seeing new characters.
I do prefer RTD's story lines.

I knew who Dylan Thomas was but this is only because my school did a production of Under Milkwood a few years ago.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 28-01-2011, 21:53
Stretched out in the sun

English major. 'Nuff said.
Old 28-01-2011, 22:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Really? I would have thought anyone who had read some poetry in school would have at least come across 'Do not go gentle into that good night'. It was even referenced on family guy.
Old 28-01-2011, 22:23
Bored out of my mind

RTD can think what he likes about Nicky writing a script, but he aint in charge anymore, so it's all a bit of a pointless discussion really.

Oh and Moffat > RTD.
Old 28-01-2011, 22:49
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I disagree, but even that were true you'd only need one line in the script to introduce him.

Personally I've had enough Doctor Who-meets-famous-historical-figure to last me 13 lifetimes (it's Doctor Who not Young Indiana Jones or Quantum Leap), but I think Dylan Thomas is as good an idea as any of the others they've featured.

Anyway, I hope this happens for Nicky, I think it'd be cool, and I think getting RTD's approval for the idea does legitimise it a bit more.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 28-01-2011, 22:49
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbytam View Post
Really? I would have thought anyone who had read some poetry in school would have at least come across 'Do not go gentle into that good night'. It was even referenced on family guy.
The final episode of Roseanne (one of America's biggest and most watched sitcoms sitcoms when it was on) was also called Into That Good Night, so yeah not just some drunken Welsh rhyming rambler only ever talked about in the valleys.

And just cause RTD likes it doesn't man it's going to get anywhere, as has been said Moffat runs it now and who knows it could be shit, doesnt say that Russell's actually read it
Old 28-01-2011, 22:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
And just cause RTD likes it doesn't man it's going to get anywhere, as has been said Moffat runs it now and who knows it could be shit, doesnt say that Russell's actually read it
Yeah, but it doesn't hurt that Davies likes both the idea of Nicky being involved and the idea of doing an episode involving Dylan Thomas does it? And it's not like Moffat and Davies are strangers or hate each other... (as far as I know).

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 28-01-2011, 23:02
Bored out of my mind

I also don't think the fact RTD makes a comment about Nicky in an interview with a Welsh publication (probably only because he was asked about it) means he's going to get on the blower to Moffat and say "You simply have to call him for the next series!"
Old 28-01-2011, 23:03
Mr Msppedia

Yeah but it was more RTD that was obsessed with Welsh based things 'O.M.G. THERE'S A MASSIVE RIFT IN SPACE AND TIME AND ITS RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF CARDIFF!!!!111!!!!!!!! Moffat hasn't really gone down that route yet (well other than in Sherlock where the dead woman in the first episode conveniently had come from Cardiff cause it was 2 hours away)
Old 28-01-2011, 23:46
Administrator

Yeah, but it's still more likely than the BBC ignoring it completely.