Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: 1 = worst, 10 = best
10 3 2.42%
9 17 13.71%
8 42 33.87%
7 35 28.23%
6 6 4.84%
5 5 4.03%
4 5 4.03%
3 3 2.42%
2 3 2.42%
1 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-09-2013, 11:33
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
What do you like about it? I'm looking for an "in"...
Cate Le Bon's voice, probably. Her own new song is better.

The demo does nothing for me but she transforms it into something far more charming. Nicky's songs usually hit the mark with me. One exception being As Holy As The Soil, which would become my new pet hate if I could bring myself to listen to it again.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:39
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I have no idea why there are so many people trying to defend tha album by saying - it's acoustic, gentle or whatever. The problem is the songs are weak and slimy.
Ever since EMG I've always hoped for more from the band's subsequent albums. They are my favourite band and I have ridiculously high expectations of them and probably always will until they pack up their instruments for good. The first song I heard from RTF was the title track and I was swept away with the fragility of Richard Hawley singing the verses combined with James' more imposing chorus. It was streets ahead of anything off PFAYM. Then I heard Show Me the Wonder and while not altogether awful my original excitement for the new album was deflated somewhat, it seemed like re-recorded leftovers from PFAYM to be honest. Having recieved my copy of RTF in the post yesterday I was glad to listen to it and find SMTW is the least interesting song on the album. I'm a sucker for a good melody and I enjoyed most of the album, especially on the songs that sound most different to what the band had done before. I don't think the quality of the songwriting has gone, maybe the consistency of the earlier albums, but then that's me going back to being too expectant again. I get a lot of happiness out of listening to the Manics and RTF will be no exception. Just skip SMTW every now and then!
Margate 22-09-98 Wembley 16-12-98 Cardiff 31-12-99 Brixton Academy 30-03-01 Wembley 07-12-02 Brixton 08-12-02 Wembley 09-12-04 Hammersmith 18-04-05 Hammersmith 19-04-05 Kentish Town 29-05-07 Astoria 30-05-07 Shepherd’s Bush 31-05-07 Brighton 06-06-07 Cardiff 06-12-07 Brixton11-12-07 Brixton 12-12-07 Brighton 14-12-07 O2 Arena 28-02-08 Royal Festival Hall 12-09-08 Camden 28-05-09 Camden 29-05-09 Camden 30-05-09 Brighton 02-06-09 Kentish Town 08-06-09 Southend 20-10-10 Bournemouth 22-10-10 Brixton 15-12-10 Brixton 21-01-11 Brixton 22-01-11 Hard Rock Cafe 02-02-11 Wolverhampton 19-05-11 O2 Arena 17-12-11 Shepherd's Bush 24-09-13 Cardiff 29-03-14 Wolverhampton 06-04-14 Brighton 09-04-14 Brixton 11-04-14 Brixton 12-04-14 Rough Trade East 08-07-14 London Olympia 14-09-14
Old 15-09-2013, 11:51
A self-made vacuum

On two listens I think of it as a good album. Apart from the 'singles', not a lot stands out for me yet, perhaps This Sullen Welsh Heart, Anthem for a Lost Cause, and 3 Ways to See Despair.

I'm sure with more listens I will like it more, I guess I'm just not used to MSP albums being this different, with the songs not fitting their usual structures.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial Symphony No.1 View Post
Ever since EMG I've always hoped for more from the band's subsequent albums. They are my favourite band and I have ridiculously high expectations of them and probably always will until they pack up their instruments for good.
This is the problem I have. I will always demand better.

They wanted this to be their Automatic For The People. I wanted it to be their AFTP. It's their Around The Sun.

They've slagged off Mumford & Sons. Mumford & Sons are the better songwriters on current form.

The album is OK. It's average. It's not getting to within an inch of any credible award shortlist. Some fans are happy with that. Some fans are happy with the Neighbours theme tune being the new Manics single. It's just as well, really.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:44
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropaDisco View Post
4 Lonely Roads is good; maybe the band should have used guest vocalists on every song, that way the album would sound like something new and refreshing from the band.
Personally I love it...to me, it has a big Smiths influence: the vocals are very morrissey-sque and even JDB sounds like he's trying to do a bit of johnny marr in it
They often mention them as one of their favourite bands and I've always hoped they did something in that style (like they did with R.E.M. for "Year of Purification")...the closest they've got in the past was some very old b-side, like "never want again" or some moments in LB here and there.

It's not a standout track but still a lovely song, suited for springtime...I don't understand the bashing.

Last edited by Jay; 15-09-2013 at 12:53.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:44
Born to end

I've had a few listens since my copy arrived yesterday and have to say its a 9/10 from me. I don't remember being so struck by a Manics album on the 1st listen since EMG. Anthem is definitely my favourite as things stand, closely followed by 3 ways and 30-year war. Only Running Out of Fantasy not really doing it for me thus far.
Old 15-09-2013, 14:52
Builder of routine

this album just grows and grows for me. It's all i've played since I got it and it suits this shitty weather.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:12
Bored out of my mind

Hoping I will be getting mine next week some time! Hurry up Amazon!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-09-2013, 15:25
Builder of routine

4 lonely roads is turning into an album highlight. Love Cate le bon's voice.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'm not feeling it yet, sadly. I loved RTF, but didn't care for SMTW.

Unlike other posters here, I find SMTW to be fairly representative of the album - much more than RTF, anyway.

(IM)TTS is something I can't listen to at all, mainly because of the lyrics. I guess they're so specific that they mean nothing to me at all, which is fair enough. The John Lennon line of TWTSD kills the whole song for me, especially with the way it's suddenly bellowed.

Le sigh.

Here's hoping it grows on me!
Old 15-09-2013, 16:47
Doors slowly closing

That's two lines with 'Lennon' in that they can be ashamed of now.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:57
Winterlover

Slight over reaction for me this album is warm, sad and beautiful, and the songs are much more well rounded and varied. It is much better than SATT, Postcards, and Lifeblood!
Old 15-09-2013, 17:33
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
this album just grows and grows for me. It's all i've played since I got it and it suits this shitty weather.
Yep agree 100%, to me the only counterpoint so far is about the lyrics, most of them are beautiful and I think are amongst the best Nicky has ever wrote but they're also very...sad.
There are uplifting moments, but some bits are really sombre and depressing, more than any other manics record (even THB and TIMTTY) and can change your mood...if not for songs like SMTW and 30 Years, this album would be, talking about the lyrics, pretty hard to listen entirely.

For ex. I find "Running Out Of Fantasy" a piece of art, but I don't know if I'm going to play it very often...it's so hopeless it's almost unbearable, for sure the saddest Manics track ever.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:42
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yep agree 100%, to me the only counterpoint so far is about the lyrics, most of them are beautiful and I think are amongst the best Nicky has ever wrote but they're also very...sad.
There are uplifting moments, but some bits are really sombre and depressing, more than any other manics record (even THB and TIMTTY) and can change your mood...if not for songs like SMTW and 30 Years, this album would be, talking about the lyrics, pretty hard to listen entirely.

For ex. I find "Running Out Of Fantasy" a piece of art, but I don't know if I'm going to play it very often...it's so hopeless it's almost unbearable, for sure the saddest Manics track ever.
Sad lyrics but i'm not struggling because I find the music so uplifting. I know what you mean tho'
Old 15-09-2013, 17:51
Winterlover

Initial feelings are that I like the album, I think it's rather good.

Haven't worked out where it stands in relation to the rest of the back-catalogue though.