Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-04-2018, 17:42
Bored of being bored

Hasn't anyone said this is like RTF Pt 2? lol

The songs are very Pop orientated, I don't think the Arena Tour is suited for them.............It will interesting to see the Set Lists from the 1st 2 dates.

I need a few more listens but its not moving me much
Old 18-04-2018, 18:16
I live to fall asleep

Is there anyone who knows how I can listen to James and Sean talking on Amazon about the album? Says you need an Amazon music account to listen to them
Hopefully the band will at least get a No.1 album on the vinyl chart come Friday.
Old 18-04-2018, 19:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
If that were true I'd buy 5. I've ordered friends to stream it regardless whether they like the manics or not

Could the cds included with the vinyl be counted as extra copies just this once ? Pleeeeeeze
Good work. We must stop the evil Jackman and his circus friends 😠
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 18-04-2018, 19:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Hasn't anyone said this is like RTF Pt 2? lol
I wouldn't say this precision-produced album of carefully optimistic stadium rock anthems has much to do with RtF's set of largely introspective and melancholy songs with intentionally more restrained arrangements.
Old 18-04-2018, 19:34
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I’m a little baffled by how highly so many rate hold me like a heaven,
i thought it had that over-produced quality people were criticising and there
are way too many woah-oh-ohs: too many on the whole album really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
The wooahhs are kind of neither here nor there for me - they work fine but I don’t think they would have really impacted my love of the song if they’d been replaced by something else.
Those "woo-ooo-oohs" are the Manics' stab at the millennial whoop, the one lastest shot at mass communication (for those of you not in the know: https://qz.com/767812/millennial-whoop/)
Old 18-04-2018, 20:13

http://www.hotpress.com/Manic-Street.../22011584.html

‘Seagulls of Forgotten Wars’, sounds like a lost Richey lyric, about Chekhov or something.
Old 18-04-2018, 21:11
Bored out of my mind

I'm forever going to hear Seagulls now

A number 2 album is still brilliant for the Manics in this current music climate, regardless of the fact we've all got enough copies of the album each to start our own record shop The general public probably won't be aware of all the bundles and different formats though.

I can't comment on The Greatest Showman as I've not seen it or listened to the soundtrack, but I've seen endless gifs of it all over my Tumblr for months and seen people going on about the soundtrack, so *shrugs*, I guess it's popular, and to be fair mostly a different audience to the Manics. I don't know the rules on chart eligibility, but it seems a bit weird it's allowed to be counted with it being a film soundtrack, but there we are. The charts have changed so much over the last few years, I've no idea how it all works now and don't usually pay attention to it other than on occasions like this. I hope the band won't be too disheartened about getting number 2, but we know what Nicky's like on such matters

As for the album itself...I think it's clicking a lot more with me now after more listens. It's definitely more interesting than anything from PFAYM for me. On first listen I did think it was slightly bland, but then after more listens I thought there were more layers and interesting little parts to songs that I didn't really notice initially. I'm still irritated A Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal didn't make it on to the album though. It's just so different and quirkier than the rest of the album. I do like that side of the Manics and wish they wouldn't hold back on it sometimes.
Old 18-04-2018, 22:03
Bored of being bored

Do the charts matter to anyone anymore? Expect for marketing execs and Nicky?
Old 18-04-2018, 22:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Without checking, probably just not the same people?

I think the production is fine, and it’s simply a fantastic song. The wooahhs are kind of neither here nor there for me - they work fine but I don’t think they would have really impacted my love of the song if they’d been replaced by something else.

I’m baffled how it isn’t everyone’s absolute favourite
I guess i'm disappointed more than anything after reading the reactions to it on here before hearing it.
I see the comparisons to the feels like heaven cover and i love that but not this.
You mention in another thread about the variety of people's favourites and that's true it seems.
Another comparison to know your enemy i suppose, where nobody can fully agree what the best songs are on that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartek Wyre View Post
Those "woo-ooo-oohs" are the Manics' stab at the millennial whoop, the one lastest shot at mass communication (for those of you not in the know: https://qz.com/767812/millennial-whoop/)
Yeah, that came up on here previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN23lFKfpck
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 18-04-2018, 22:21
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
Do the charts matter to anyone anymore? Expect for marketing execs and Nicky?
It really shouldn't but I'd like to see it happen.
Old 18-04-2018, 22:28
Bored out of my mind

Let's hope no more kids go to see The Greatest Showman over the weekend and rush out to buy the soundtrack directly after! (I enjoyed the film and the soundtrack is very catchy but hopefully it has already peaked!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-04-2018, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I guess i'm disappointed more than anything after reading the reactions to it on here before hearing it.
I see the comparisons to the feels like heaven cover and i love that but not this.
You mention in another thread about the variety of people's favourites and that's true it seems.
Another comparison to know your enemy i suppose, where nobody can fully agree what the best songs are on that either.

Yeah, that came up on here previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN23lFKfpck

I think James said that he didn't have his guitar when he wrote Hold Me Like A Heaven, in Nice as it was taken off him at the airport and they didn't have the studio in Cardiff when they got back. I think it's a lovely song in that and how it was completed.
Old 19-04-2018, 03:48
Bored of being bored

People give in from 2:30 to 2:55 is my favorite piece in a Manics song, ever.
Old 19-04-2018, 05:43
Knowlede Is Power

I can dig it.
Definitely a grower. Lots of bits stuck in my head for the last few days.

I cringed when I first heard Vivian. Couldn't stop thinking of the old Top Gear theme tune. Now it's one of my favourites.

Hoping for more of a 'difficult' Journal/Futurology direction next time though (if there is indeed a next time)

Long live MSP.
Old 19-04-2018, 06:27
I live to fall asleep

Found 3 reviews of the album in Belgium. All 3 were horrible, so I'm not bothering to post a link.

A small citation
"We hereby offer our sincere apologies to all fans of the MSP, but this record does not impress. We also offer our sincere apologies to all the young, motivated and inspired bands who don't get a record deal. Apparently, for God's sake, these boys have priority over you. Blame the record industry."

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK