Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-02-2019, 19:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

(unless you say Richey once stood on your foot and he apologised, therefore you'd be an ex girlfriend/boyfriend. Take the shoe and she'd worship it. Probably put a picture of it in the eventual heavily edited version).
Old 26-02-2019, 19:57
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
(unless you say Richey once stood on your foot and he apologised, therefore you'd be an ex girlfriend/boyfriend. Take the shoe and she'd worship it. Probably put a picture of it in the eventual heavily edited version).
Haha!

Someone was mentioning this Vivian woman and I don't know if this is related, but in the Rob Jovanovic book about Richey, he mentions that Emma Forrest wrote an article in 1998 about Richey and in it, she mentioned that Richey had given "Novel with Cocaine" to a fan the night before he disappeared with implicit instructions to read the forward. The author surmised that it was Jo who was given the book, but now I'm thinking it may have been this Vivian character. No idea how Emma Forrest got this info. She declined to be interviewed for the book after having initially agreed.

Also, as loads of people have already mentioned, thanks so much for abridged version of the book. Very much appreciated!
Old 26-02-2019, 20:07
Winterlover

Apparently Jo gave him the book so it would make potential sense that it was this mystery Vivian he then passed it on to? Maybe it’s all mysterious and nothing is known about it because... there’s nothing to know, beyond that. Good recall, I’d forgotten that anecdote.
Old 26-02-2019, 20:09
Builder of routine

Thanks sofar ..I thought the archive might be it's one redeeming feature but obviously not!
Old 26-02-2019, 21:22
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
Of general forum interest: did we know Richey’s grandmother was named Kezia?

*casually sips tea*
I meant to reply to this earlier today when I was meant to be 'working' at home but was actually reading this thread

I find it kind of disturbing that they've both been on this forum over the years (if you search Kezia's posts, SHR defends her at one point when people were understandably unconvinced Kezia was in fact Rachel). It seems like the book has been a long time coming in light of this and that just makes it all seem the more vindictive and calculated to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'm not too worried if I'm honest. This will likely cause an "oooh gossip" stir with some but it'll die down.

So far when something manics related is out or advertised friends or family will mention it as I'm The Manics Fan. Not heard a peep about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
This is how I feel, tbh. It'll just cause a bit of a stir (it has already, in fairness) but it won't break the band simply because we already know it's a hatchet job written by someone with an axe to grind.
I also wanted to pick up on this from a few days ago, because I also don't think the book will make much money and won't be read much more widely than Manics/music fans...assuming it sees the light of day following any legal proceedings of course. But, the tabloids are where my worry lies. The Daily Mail felt the need to run an entire story on James allegedly selling his flat, but of course we now know the flat wasn't even his anyway. Who would have thought such a tedious story would be of interest to anyone? Even as a Manics fan, I can't say I care if any of them are selling property. But I fear they may pick up on some of the more sensational accusations (especially because they relate to Richey and the tabloids have definitely written bullshit articles about him in the past) and run those and we all know people believe all sorts of crap in the tabloids and how much they like to use inaccurate headlines as clickbait. Then if it proved true that the band/management etc. did take legal action and the press got wind of it, I fear they'd twist it to make it look like the band were trying to prevent 'the truth' from getting out, because that's how they work.

So really, I hope the book dies a death courtesty of the legal system and we never have to hear about it again.
Old 26-02-2019, 21:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
In lieu of something scandalous, is there any fun revelations from Richey's archive?
Richey has an O level and an A level in music and could play guitar like erm Ziggy!? And the drums. Told Sean to keep it quiet. If Sean ever breaks his silence that's when people should start to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
I feel just the same. I've said before that it just seems so wrong and unbelievably insensitive to be coming from Rachel. I know grief makes people feel and do really unpredictable and out of character things, I've been there! It's draining and suffocating and she's certainly had so much to deal with. I honestly don't know how she's still standing BUT, and this is the crux of things for me, she's experienced Richey going missing, walked through it for all this time, never knowing and then had to deal with the loss of both her parents. It's heartbreaking. But it means she should understand how grief feels for the band and everyone else that loved Richey. There's the management, other ppl at Hall or Nothing, extended family who have had to deal with his loss through Nicky, Sean and James. Why the hell now make the very public decision to bad mouth the band and Nicky? He's had more than enough to go through over the past couple of years, he's gone through the same loss as Rachel and she just can't see it. How the hell would she feel if the band had even once pointed the finger at her and Richey's family?
The thing is they wouldn't, and as loads of people have said, the band have only ever behaved in a totally dignified way and show their love and respect for Richey at every gig. I'm furious about this and cant even begin to think about how the band must feel, Nicky in particular. He must be devastated.
I agree. It seems only reasonable to conclude she's angry and wants to hit out. I feel they are all in a strange place where none have been able to grieve him because they don't know for certain what happened and even if they found out he had taken his life that doesn't resolve things. Anger is maybe all some people have? Reading through the thread and parts drawn from the book my impression based only from these posts is that she feels shut out, doesn't matter if that's true or not or of her own making or not, he had a life with the band she knew little of because as she herself as said he didn't talk about it with her and of course she wasn't there...our big brothers grow up. It doesn't sound like she saw the box passed to Jo personally and the band have had a platform for feelings she's had no means to express. Conversations and impressions are skewered maybe to fit her own perspective....these ideas expressed at some point by Jo (who didn't want to be interviewed for the book it seems clear? and the band haven't spoken of her because it's private but also because they have said they didn't know her.....if there's no connection it's easy for her to therefore become used as the 'oracle') that he was unhappy with the persona he had - Rachel and/or SHR? blames the band but Richey spoke publicly of his frustration....He was so young when he started out I don't know if he realised that when you portray an image that's what you're in danger of becoming for good. People won't see past it. Pigeon hole ticked. Fuck all the political history on The Holy Bible and tell me more about the self mutilation and anorexia...of course that must have been frustrating and he can only have blamed himself/felt trapped surely, precisely because he wasn't an idiot.

I can understand her anger, hear me out, because she was his sister and the band were around him so much through the time up to his disappearance why didn't they do more.....of course it's an unfair question, why didn't she, why didn't his family, why , why why.... what about his family, allusions to church, moving house, 'they fuck you up your mum and dad...they may not mean to but....'.....you can look at everything and find nothing makes sense ....for things to make sense there must be someone to blame. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't and maybe it's a bit of lots of things all mixed up and maybe, weirdly, the band were actually just too damn close and you're often the last person who can help when you're too close

I don't recall Nicky blaming the church in part for Richey's problems - blamed The Priory's pseudoreligious bollox for not helping and he was surely right. I do recall Richey talking about being stuck on the idea of reconciling yourself with a God, didn't have to be God could be someone God-like in your life but everyone dies/leaves so how can they be God....as I think that's something like the first of the 12 steps it really wasn't gonna fecking help an over-thinker was it??? Maybe if he has criticised beyond this it grates because she's found solace from the church. It is weird families and religion.....speaking as a erm brought up now lapsed Catholic it isn't true that it messes you up completely, too easy to blame it for that, but when you no longer follow it you can remain close to family members who do but there can be, I dunno, it's a mindset that shapes so many ideas that you just can't share, it can be distancing and confusing but I digress....

William's Last Words reads like a suicide note. Rage is maybe all she's got?

SHR is just too inexperienced. It doesn't sound like a biography more an outlet of despair and anger...In need of a good deal of editing before publication but really in need of a more experienced writer who would talk to everyone and remain objective. Maybe scrap the book and pick up the phone...

The not knowing is impossible to reconcile with but maybe it's not just not knowing what happened to him for sure but the uncertainty about ever having truly known him completely at all. But who ever does know anyone else completely.....not anyone who is worth knowing anyway! I remember The Times said it's in a way a biography of someone who disappeared long before he actually did.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 26-02-2019, 21:38

So fucking undignified of Rachel to be part of this.
Old 26-02-2019, 21:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
I agree with this 100%
Old 26-02-2019, 21:49
Banned

Wait a minute, Emma Forrest initially agreed to be interviewed but then changed her mind? That's interesting. Perhaps she and SHR aren't quite so pally anymore.
Old 27-02-2019, 01:01
Bored of being bored

Quote:
To me, this is the most shocking thing about this book.
Old 27-02-2019, 01:10
Knowlede Is Power

This is madness all of this can someone stick the book up on the dark web for me and my vulture friend to read? Come on.
Old 27-02-2019, 01:13
Knowlede Is Power

I'm in Finchley not fucking Amsterdam!
Old 27-02-2019, 06:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Given what she’s been through, I can’t say anything bad about her. I am however disappointed that she would handle her brother’s legacy like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Wait a minute, Emma Forrest initially agreed to be interviewed but then changed her mind? That's interesting. Perhaps she and SHR aren't quite so pally anymore.
No no, sorry! I meant she declined to be interviewed for the Rob Jovanavic book, A Version of Reason. Apparently she initially agreed to be interview and then got cold feet. No idea if she’s in the new book or not, but she does t really seem to want to talk about him publicly that much anymore.
Old 27-02-2019, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Given what she’s been through, I can’t say anything bad about her. I am however disappointed that she would handle her brother’s legacy like this.
It’s starting to get beyond that.
Anyone who’s been through hard times can’t have a free pass to behave in such disgraceful and unjustifiable ways unremarked.
Old 27-02-2019, 06:42
Winterlover

Quote:
It’s starting to get beyond that.
Anyone who’s been through hard times can’t have a free pass to behave in such disgraceful and unjustifiable ways unremarked.
That is true! Also, from the excepts I’ve read, Richey is coming off as a really very sad person. It’s obvious he had his issues, but if you want to “reclaim” him from the tortured genius moniker, why is he being portrayed as a severely tortured artist? Lol! I haven’t read much, but what pages I have, I don’t think a book has depressed me as much as this one.

There’s actually a line in the new book that says, “along the way, he (Richey) had occasional dalliances with groupies, but that wasn’t really Richey’s style.” Lol! Are they purposely revising history or are they just incredibly delusional? Ha!