Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 09:06
Doors slowly closing

It’s also 14 on the physical and sales charts (where it was still top ten last week). That’s an important thing in terms of keeping it visible in HMV and the mighty Tesco.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48
Desire on its knees

Wishfully hoping for an old school EP tie up of tracks for the era - HMLAH / holding patterns / mirror gaze / studio versions of garageland and no feelings / acoustic HMLAH. Released to coincide with the Jools appearance.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:58
I live to fall asleep

They should release Heaven on a limited edition vinyl, I don't know why the band stopped releasing physical forms, most other bands still do - I recently bought several new Charlatans singles on 7" vinyl, clear blue and clear green, very nice
Old 07-05-2018, 22:36
Born to end

A bit sad to see the album hasn't charted in Finland yet, they get along fine over there... On the other hand RTF has gone Silver!
Old 08-05-2018, 14:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Soul View Post
A bit sad to see the album hasn't charted in Finland yet, they get along fine over there... On the other hand RTF has gone Silver!
Seems like the physical album isn't actually available anywhere, at least not in the capital area or it's surroundings. It didn't arrive on the release day (April 13), even though it was supposed to, after being available for pre-order. I called a few record shops on the 12th to make sure they have it and everyone said yes. Went to buy it the next day and turns out none of the shops had actually received their stock. When I asked when will it be available, all of them said either "No idea" or "Maybe sometime next week".

Since then I've been browsing record shops and supermarket cd sections in a few towns and cities without finding a single copy. It's very disappointing and frustrating...

Edit.

Yesterday I noticed a very strange full page ad on the latest edition of Finland's biggest music magazine. The samurai photo with Manic Street Preachers & Resistance Is Futile written on top and at the bottom a text simply saying "Download, stream or purchase" and nothing else. No mention of Columbia, Warner or anything. It's like they haven't got a publisher / distributor over here?

Last edited by jenvidg; 08-05-2018 at 15:22.
Old 08-05-2018, 20:20
Born to end

I am sure soon it will be made available, all of their records since EMG did nicely over there, so in the coming weeks, I expect to see it drop and entering the charts.
Old 08-05-2018, 20:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Soul View Post
I am sure soon it will be made available, all of their records since EMG did nicely over there, so in the coming weeks, I expect to see it drop and entering the charts.
Yeah but it was supposedly released already on April 13th. At one point I noticed it was top2 or top3 at Google Music's Finnish downloads chart, or whatever that was, so I guess it did come out digitally.

Anyway, outside that odd full page ad there's been zero promotion, which is a shame. Especially, as you said, their previous albums have done very nicely. Futurology for example went straight into top20.

Edit.

Just checked, RIF is now physically available at most locations of one particular, small independent record store chain, a few copies per shop. So yeah, no hope for charting in Finland. A proper cock-up from Sony/ Columbia.

Last edited by jenvidg; 08-05-2018 at 20:51.
Old 08-05-2018, 22:32
Born to end

Every album since EMG has been capable of charting there, gutted about that. Don't understand why so little attention paid to a very good charting place for the band.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:44
Doors slowly closing

Not keen on the “2 extra guitarists” live thing. Always felt MSP sounded best with just James and no additional players or trumpets
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Not keen on the “2 extra guitarists” live thing. Always felt MSP sounded best with just James and no additional players or trumpets
Two does seem a bit over the top, some songs definitely need at least one extra guitar though..ME for example.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:49
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Two does seem a bit over the top, some songs definitely need at least one extra guitar though..ME for example.
I'd be all for it if James felt like he could start to get pissed at gigs again.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:47
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
There was talk a few years back about them maybe going it alone in terms of having no record label when the Sony deal was coming to an end, wasn't there? I always hoped that without a major label backing them that they may end up touring as just a three-piece.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:51
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
There was talk a few years back about them maybe going it alone in terms of having no record label when the Sony deal was coming to an end, wasn't there? I always hoped that without a major label backing them that they may end up touring as just a three-piece.
I remember James saying he didn't want to have worry about the business side of things... just wanted to concentrate on the songs
Old 11-05-2018, 16:50
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
4 weeks in and now at 52 http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
Old 11-05-2018, 17:02
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Can we have Guy Massey back?

Stand back, I have political powers!