Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-02-2019, 21:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Yeah .. but. Were he to turn up I'm sure they'd sort something without having to be told. Songs are theirs anyway. Richey couldn't add to the music
I thought he - or the family - got something for JFPL, with him being a named, ‘active’ contributor? Or was I just assuming that? Either way, to stop royalties at the point they did makes sense, whatever they then chose to do for JFPL. But the main income stopping vs the timing of the album there is beef with is... is.
Old 20-02-2019, 21:30
Knowlede Is Power

Everything is about money really ain't it. Makes me sick.
If it wasn't there wouldn't even be a book so I know I'm on the right lines with this.
Old 20-02-2019, 21:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
I thought he - or the family - got something for JFPL, with him being a named, ‘active’ contributor? Or was I just assuming that? Either way, to stop royalties at the point they did makes sense, whatever they then chose to do for JFPL. But the main income stopping vs the timing of the album there is beef with is... is.
Not sure what the financial arrangement with JFPL is. Makes sense to do it that way so as not to be seen to profit. They were definitely worried about people's perception ... Nicky wanted to bury it late in the day didn't he? lol
Old 20-02-2019, 21:51
Bored of being bored

Of course the family would get royalties from JFPL! He's a named contributor, officially declared dead, therefore his percentage goes to them.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 20-02-2019, 21:55
Banned

Richey is still getting his share of the royalties; I clearly remember Nick mentioning this in several interviews.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:04
Banned

As for any "screaming match" between Nick and Richey, and threats to throw him out of the band: we know he was given a number of options relating to his future with them. It was detailed a number of times. He could leave permanently. He could continue writing songs, but not worry about touring and interviews etc. There were a couple of other suggestions, too. So no, he wasn't just threatened with being turfed out of the band. That's just malicious nonsense.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:04
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Of course the family would get royalties from JFPL! He's a named contributor, officially declared dead, therefore his percentage goes to them.
I know he's named !!!! I can read
Old 20-02-2019, 22:05
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Richey is still getting his share of the royalties; I clearly remember Nick mentioning this in several interviews.
Newspaper was wrong then or I misunderstood
Old 20-02-2019, 22:06
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
If that's the case (and massive respect to the band if it is) then that money would be going where? Now he's legally dead would it go to Rachel? If so then maybe she shouldn't bite the hand that feeds her.
They write plenty of songs without him and don't owe him anything.

Personally I would be more than OK with them stopping payments after JFPL.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:07
Winterlover

Perhaps it was stopping paying them to Richey and instead to his family or something - shuffling admin kind of stuff.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Perhaps it was stopping paying them to Richey and instead to his family or something - shuffling admin kind of stuff.
Yea makes sense. My bad.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:18
Bored of being bored

Quote:
This is what was said at the time - the family hadn't given up all hope, but as it had been so long, Richey's royalties were just sitting there and could be put to better use by his family. Completely understandable.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
If that's the case (and massive respect to the band if it is) then that money would be going where? Now he's legally dead would it go to Rachel? If so then maybe she shouldn't bite the hand that feeds her.
They write plenty of songs without him and don't owe him anything.

Personally I would be more than OK with them stopping payments after JFPL.

Precisely! While we all love Richey and admire his contribution to the band, they've existing for far longer without him than with him. They've paid him what he's owed in terms of royalties and, after that, they owe him precisely nothing. They don't even have to keep honouring him, or upholding his memory. They choose to do so and the fact that they do so in such a dignified and affectionate way is a credit to them. No cash-in book written by a spiteful, vindictive ex-fan will change my mind about that.

I remember SHR from the old official Manic Street Preachers forum, too. She was very abusive to people there and she just has not changed. At all. It's really quite sad to see she's still like this. Back then, she had youth on her side. But this was well over a decade ago now and she's stuck there, spouting the same abuse at the same people. It is quite sad.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:25
Winterlover

I'm not sure what assumptions are being made here but the Declaration of Presumption of Death helps the family to settle his financial affairs which is obviously understandable. If the person concerned left no will then the closest next of kin assumes the role of adminstrator to deal with their affairs and distribute their assets. If no will then the assets go to next of kin. Richey will still be 'earning' as a lyricist of the band, those earnings, as far as I understand the law will go to next of kin. That will remain the case for 70 years after the declaration of his death. Richey wasn't just a contributor to JFPL he was the lyricist. All 4 are credited against just about all of their songs tgether...all will receive royalties on copyright, a 'death' doesn't change that it just goes to your estate instead. There's no financial axes here.
Possibly the band were putting more aside for him, or he was 'being paid' whatever he was earning as a member of the band which may have proved more than copyright alone, probably did, but a declaration of death would presumably halt that and from then on earnings would be copyright to the estate. Makes sense. Should he return a Variation Order can be applied for and Richey would receive copyright earnings from the date the order is granted directly

I don't think anyone really expects to make much from this book. Author earnings are truly crap and had they received a stonking advance it would have been publicised, such things always are. He wasn't on the level of Kurt etc fame wise after all
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 20-02-2019 at 22:32.
Old 21-02-2019, 08:25
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I'm not sure what assumptions are being made here but the Declaration of Presumption of Death helps the family to settle his financial affairs which is obviously understandable. If the person concerned left no will then the closest next of kin assumes the role of adminstrator to deal with their affairs and distribute their assets. If no will then the assets go to next of kin. Richey will still be 'earning' as a lyricist of the band, those earnings, as far as I understand the law will go to next of kin. That will remain the case for 70 years after the declaration of his death. Richey wasn't just a contributor to JFPL he was the lyricist. All 4 are credited against just about all of their songs tgether...all will receive royalties on copyright, a 'death' doesn't change that it just goes to your estate instead. There's no financial axes here.
Possibly the band were putting more aside for him, or he was 'being paid' whatever he was earning as a member of the band which may have proved more than copyright alone, probably did, but a declaration of death would presumably halt that and from then on earnings would be copyright to the estate. Makes sense. Should he return a Variation Order can be applied for and Richey would receive copyright earnings from the date the order is granted directly

I don't think anyone really expects to make much from this book. Author earnings are truly crap and had they received a stonking advance it would have been publicised, such things always are. He wasn't on the level of Kurt etc fame wise after all
Kind of shocked to read the posts preceding this so it's worth repeating Raven's post.

I sort of dread looking this thread these days...

Stand back, I have political powers!