Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-08-2012, 17:42
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
WowHD rides into the preorder scene with a sub-£10 3-disc set and mention of four different formats.

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/CD/manic-stre...930489#bc=731c

Either that tracklist is a placeholder or you're going to have to buy another shoebox to get the Suicide Alley and New Art Riot demos that Nicky tweeted about.
That's really cheap...not even $15 Canadian! Which leads me to believe there's nothing particularly "must have" about this set. The DVD might be promising though. I'm not really a fan of their music pre-THB anymore, but I'll still probably get this one.
Old 16-08-2012, 18:14
Winterlover

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-T...5140779&sr=8-4

You can pre-order on Amazon for £5.97! I Imagine thats a single disc version but still seems bloody cheap... Do they have to honour that price?
Old 16-08-2012, 19:51
Knowlede Is Power

It better be on vinyl too!
Old 16-08-2012, 20:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post

You can pre-order on Amazon for £5.97! I Imagine thats a single disc version but still seems bloody cheap... Do they have to honour that price?
Yeah, Amazon pre-orders have a price guarantee like that.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:46
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post

Product details
Audio CD (29 Oct 2012)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Sony Music CMG
ASIN: B008SK21QK
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,817 in Music
Old 17-08-2012, 13:29
I live to fall asleep

I'm surprised there's going to be numerous versions of this, the 10th anniversary editions for THB and EMG were just the single packages which makes sense to me. I'll get this as a birthday present in October I think
Old 18-08-2012, 11:31
Desire on its knees

Journalist Robin Turner (@robinturner) posted this on Twitter the other day:

Back from day in Cardiff making film about Generation Terrorists - you forget how insanely ambitious a record it was http://pic.twitter.com/msIwPxro
Old 19-08-2012, 02:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post

Back from day in Cardiff making film about Generation Terrorists - you forget how insanely ambitious a record it was http://pic.twitter.com/msIwPxro
Nice. Consider me excited.
Old 19-08-2012, 04:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post

Maybe those of you who live and breath all things Manics can explain to me how GT was an "insanely ambitious" album. As someone who bought the album in '92, I don't recall it being that out of the ordinary or musically spectacular (it's not aged well at all either). In fact, I've always felt it was long winded and loaded with too much filler. Musically it was a bit old hat as well given that the type of audience they were generally trying to appeal to had moved away from the likes of GnR and onto the infamous Seattle bands, namely Nirvana (that's why GT never turned into a hit in the US. If it had been repeased 2 or 3 years earlier, it may have found an audience). As a result, I can't see what was so ambitious about that album. Maybe because they were a Welsh band signed to a major? From what I recall, there weren't too many bands from that region who were signed and making a name for themselves domestically or internationally.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:01
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Maybe those of you who live and breath all things Manics can explain to me how GT was an "insanely ambitious" album.
It's not really about the music but about the band's attitude. The band wanted to be humongous and famous/infamous and GT would be their grand statement: they considered sandpaper sleeves that would destroy the albums next to it in the shelf, the famous "if we don't sell x million albums we'll split" statement and the general "blow up humongously and then throw it all away" plans, OTT antics like the 4REAL faffle to show how serious they were, the defiant "we are here and you WILL love us" attitude, etc. The music we got was glam/cock rock with budget drum production (although it's easy to hear that they wanted the album to sound MASSIVE as well but came across budget problems) but the ambition referred to came from the band itself - knowingly delusional in most cases, but something that was pretty much their trademark during that era.
Old 19-08-2012, 10:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
It's not really about the music but about the band's attitude. The band wanted to be humongous and famous/infamous and GT would be their grand statement: they considered sandpaper sleeves that would destroy the albums next to it in the shelf, the famous "if we don't sell x million albums we'll split" statement and the general "blow up humongously and then throw it all away" plans, OTT antics like the 4REAL faffle to show how serious they were, the defiant "we are here and you WILL love us" attitude, etc. The music we got was glam/cock rock with budget drum production (although it's easy to hear that they wanted the album to sound MASSIVE as well but came across budget problems) but the ambition referred to came from the band itself - knowingly delusional in most cases, but something that was pretty much their trademark during that era.
The main reason they didn't, haven't and won't break the states is their lyrical content and focus.

Example: NWBML was left on gt and a song like that means little to the 'casual' uk rock fan. To someone in the states it means even less!

also - NOTHING on GT was budget. Remember this is a bands debut album:

1. 23 weeks - 6 months at Blackbarn Studios which had who, motorhead, weller, free, bad finger, gary newman, ray davies, moody blues and jethro tull (just to name a few) record albums there in a much sorter time

2. steve brown was hired to produce, and after having produced number 1 singles and albums and a string top top 10 hits with ABC, Wham!, The Cult and Alison Moyet he wouldnt have come cheap

3. it was a double album so even pressing costs etc would have been higher
Old 19-08-2012, 11:30
I live to fall asleep

I hope the documentary about making the album will put to bed a lot of rumours, questions and details and give us some new information. I'd love to see some unseen behind the scenes footage of the guys too from 91/92. Bring it on!!
Old 19-08-2012, 16:21
Winterlover

It was ambitious because the band were young, fired up, posers, spouting all the quotes and everything journalists lapped up, and making grandiose statements about everything being redundant and their intention to sell millions and split in a blaze of glory to show how redundant rock had become. Generation Terrorists was the overblown, overproduced, bombastic, sloganeering, rock record that exemplified this.

It's also what I love about their '91/'92 period.
Old 19-08-2012, 16:30
Doors slowly closing

It was ambitious, but they went the wrong way about it. They spent too much time posing and forgot to produce a good album in the process. If it had sounded more like the earlier heavenly tracks and they'd toned down the posing, it could've been a great debut and have sold much more than it did. The album didn't represent them musically at all, that point proven whenever they played (and still do play) the songs live. They were trying to sound like GnR when actually they sounded nothing like that whatsoever. They should've found their own identity much earlier, even on the heavenly tracks you can hear a bit of the true MSP coming through.
Old 19-08-2012, 16:35
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Maybe those of you who live and breath all things Manics can explain to me how GT was an "insanely ambitious" album. As someone who bought the album in '92, I don't recall it being that out of the ordinary or musically spectacular (it's not aged well at all either). In fact, I've always felt it was long winded and loaded with too much filler. Musically it was a bit old hat as well given that the type of audience they were generally trying to appeal to had moved away from the likes of GnR and onto the infamous Seattle bands, namely Nirvana (that's why GT never turned into a hit in the US. If it had been repeased 2 or 3 years earlier, it may have found an audience). As a result, I can't see what was so ambitious about that album. Maybe because they were a Welsh band signed to a major? From what I recall, there weren't too many bands from that region who were signed and making a name for themselves domestically or internationally.
Even if you think it's shit or dated or whatever it can still be insanely ambitious, failure doesn't mean it's not ambitious. Maybe that comes across better in interviews than on record.

Interesting point about timing though, I wonder if Kurt Cobain ever heard em. Maybe Generation Terrorists would've been a bigger success across the pond a couple of years earlier, who knows. Maybe they could've put anything out over here in 1998 and it'd have got to number one. Fun to think about. Well, for a sad bastard like me anyway.