Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-03-2023, 15:24
Born to end

Does anyone know any of the people interviewed for Withdrawn Traces?

Hello all,
I'm working on a long-form review/critique of Withdrawn Traces, the book about Richey that came out in 2019 by Sara Hawys Roberts. I thought I'd post on here on the off chance that someone might see this who isn't on other social media sites. I was wondering if anyone personally knows any of the people who were interviewed for the book or even simply contacted by the authors. Or even if anyone were themselves interviewed/contacted.

I've managed to talk to a few of the public figures quoted in the book (aka members of other bands/the music press) but I have no real way of getting into contact with any of the people interviewed who were just "regular people" that were fans or friends of the band or Richey, so I thought taking to social media might possibly have some results.

I'm aware of the, er, reputation of the authors on this forum so I don't expect they reached out to many on here, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask. Thanks!
Old 25-03-2023, 23:40
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

One guy who was interviewed for the book posted a video response to the authors' interpretation of events and his friendship with Richey - basically saying they'd quite heavily dramatised what he told them. Should be easy enough to find the video/him if it's still on Youtube.
Old 26-03-2023, 05:41
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
One guy who was interviewed for the book posted a video response to the authors' interpretation of events and his friendship with Richey - basically saying they'd quite heavily dramatised what he told them. Should be easy enough to find the video/him if it's still on Youtube.
He pretty much answered any questions I would have had for him in his video. I did include its content in my review. His video is what made me wonder if anyone else who was interviewed had a similar experience. I've had confirmation of similar stuff from some of the music industry people I talked to, but the majority of people who were interviewed for/quoted in the book were Richey's university friends and other "regular people" who are not public figures or related to the music industry, which makes it harder to find and reach out to them to find out if they were similarly misquoted.
Old 26-03-2023, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcat View Post
He pretty much answered any questions I would have had for him in his video. I did include its content in my review. His video is what made me wonder if anyone else who was interviewed had a similar experience. I've had confirmation of similar stuff from some of the music industry people I talked to, but the majority of people who were interviewed for/quoted in the book were Richey's university friends and other "regular people" who are not public figures or related to the music industry, which makes it harder to find and reach out to them to find out if they were similarly misquoted.
I can imagine it's really tricky +30 years down the line. I've not read it yet, but it seems like there's a fair amount of artistic licence been used to tell the story. Which isn't unusual really - e.g. the band said similar things about Simon Price's book.
Old 26-03-2023, 17:40
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
I can imagine it's really tricky +30 years down the line. I've not read it yet, but it seems like there's a fair amount of artistic licence been used to tell the story. Which isn't unusual really - e.g. the band said similar things about Simon Price's book.
You're very right about "artistic licence", although it tips over into going a little too far a few too many times with heavier subjects and more serious claims and/or accusations, compared to the sillier and less serious embellishments in Price's book. Certainly Price's book paints a better and more positive picture of everyone involved, including Richey himself, even if it does veer into Price taking a journalist fan's artistic licence. I'm also handicapped by not being in contact with Rachel Edwards like the authors of Withdrawn Traces were, since it seems most of their correspondences with Richey's old uni friends went through her (unsurprisingly). I've written my review with all the resources available to me, this attempt to see if I can reach out to any of the people interviewed is kind of a final shot in the dark before I finish it up, just in case I have some sort of stroke of luck.
Old 18-08-2023, 09:45
Knowlede Is Power

Debated on this book as I really wasn’t keen on purchasing it given the authors.

Found it second hand yesterday so going to have a read over the weekend.
Old 19-09-2023, 15:48

SHR's response to criticism's of the book which probably addresses the OP's questions:

https://www.docdroid.net/3RaBFIB/wit...3-docx#page=12

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 19-09-2023, 16:36
I am purity, they call me perverted

Did pocketcat ever publish their critique? When this statement suddenly appeared out of nowhere yesterday I wondered what on earth it was in response to.
Old 19-09-2023, 18:20
Knowlede Is Power

Very peculiar, especially given how long ago it was released.
Old 19-09-2023, 20:28
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
SHR's response to criticism's of the book which probably addresses the OP's questions:

https://www.docdroid.net/3RaBFIB/wit...3-docx#page=12
SHRs bollocks contiunes......
Old 19-09-2023, 21:24

I don't want to drag everything up again though it sounds like a sh*tshow of a production. The selective use of I and WE throughout makes me a bit weary. Sounds like blaming the co-writer for the bits people found issue with. To be fair it does sound like the whole disappearance conjecture was forced on by the publisher to give it something interesting despite the fact that that element has been done to death. Again SHR basically does nothing to dispel the fact that she has a grudge against the other band members and comes as close as possible to slander without passing the threshold for them to take legal action. I suspect if there was was anything to back up their claims, they'd actually make them. Time to move on.

Old 20-09-2023, 12:36
Doors slowly closing

There's a certain sort of revulsion I've seen on forums, reserved for people who dare get close to their beloved MSP - ex-partners, contemporary bands, book authors and so on. I've learnt to season it with the appropriate amount of salt it deserves.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 20-09-2023, 12:39
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Before the authors of Withdrawn Traces were announced, the Manic
Street Preachers and their management sent a ‘cease and desist’ letter
to the publishers Penguin, Random House – with only the knowledge
that Rachel Edwards intended to write a book about her missing brother
Didn't know that!

That said the boys have had several books written about them (there probably isn't one they're happy with) and can understand them feeling weary to such things.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 20-09-2023, 14:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

This is the bit that suprises me:

"To clarify – there were no legal ramifications whatsoever with anybody involved in the writing process. Despite the Manic Street Preachers and their management attempting to silence a Rachel-led book at the outset, the band did not take legal proceedings once it was written."

I'd assumed the reason it was so chopped up and incoherent was because huge chunks of it had been legalled out, but seemingly not. The publishers must have actively chosen to put it out like that!
Old 20-09-2023, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Didn't know that!

That said the boys have had several books written about them (there probably isn't one they're happy with) and can understand them feeling weary to such things.
I found that statement to be a bit odd myself. It's very unclear how this project started, was it a passion project by the author? Was it proposed by the publishing company and a suitable author found (considering has no writing credits, this would seem unlikely)? was it proposed by Rachel Edwards who then proposed SHR as they had a personal relationship? The letter is deliberately ambiguous on this front. SHR keeps writing as WE without stating who WE actually are (despite saying upfront, SHR alone is responding). I think there is some selective omissions here to make it seem the band have some real beef with Rachel Edwards. Perhaps there is but I think there's quiet a bit missing here in this story and judging by the SHR used to ask questions on this forum insinuating that the band were lying about the events around Richey's disappearance, I wouldn't be surprised if the band had foreknowledge of the type of project this was.

For example:
http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...28#post2665228

And when SHR includes stuff like below, it just comes across as petty. Either make the accusation with the evidence you have or say nothing at all. If it's not your story to tell, then maybe stop starting to tell it every paragraph.

Quote:
It pains me to say, that there is no smoke without fire regarding how the
band were portrayed in the publication. Whilst it seemed unnecessary or
downright petty to include what was documented in the book, rest
assured that the most cruel, offensive and inflammatory actions and
words were omitted to spare a more sensationalist aspect to the book, or
to appear as a smear campaign against the band and management, as
we inspired for Withdrawn Traces to be more than that

Again, this isn’t my story to tell but I can assure you with one hundred
percent of my being, some of the actions of the remaining band
members have gone beyond questionable and into the deliberately
offensive, often acting with little compassion - behind the scenes - where
it really mattered. I am at a loss however as to why a certain number of
those in fandom refuse to believe the remaining three’s distance from
Richard towards his end of the time with the band, when there is so
much evidence outside of the book about this time in their career. I
suppose after two decades of hearing one side of the story, it becomes
embedded in the consciousness, a locked in narrative, and any evidence
challenging that is hard to accept, despite the contrary.

Once more, this is not my story to tell and I consider the subject closed
when it comes to my own opinion on the band. Should those close to
Richard wish to speak, that is their prerogative and it’s something I will
always support. I do wish some of the fandom would not deny Richard’s
sister, or his partner Jo their rights to their feelings at the time, or doubt
the validity of their own experiences with the band and management that
came after the 1st of February, 1995

Last edited by Routine Builder; 20-09-2023 at 15:35.