Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
i think all the negativity of this one caused the lack of enthusiasm with the 2nd book project and that's sad.

but hey what did i expect from this fandom? if it's not by Richey/about Richey, it gets slagged off as unimportant and of a small artistic value.
It has to be good too...I think the problem with it is it really only interests people who are fans of nicky wire. Which is no bad thing, but it's never going to appeal to lots of people, and probably disappointed a lot of people when it was quite pricey!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14
Doors slowly closing

I think it's simply more a case that Nicky couldn't be bothered with it. Morrissey's autobiography was a tough act to follow.

Anyway, wasn't the second book of the contract ultimately replaced by Kevin Cummins' Assassinated Beauty? That one wasn't originally going to be published by Faber & Faber.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:54
I live to fall asleep

Is that Assassinated Beauty any good? I'd fancy getting it but there's nowhere on the net that has a few photos of the book or a short video of it so I can see how it looks and the quality, etc. Any fans have it?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:02
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Is that Assassinated Beauty any good? I'd fancy getting it but there's nowhere on the net that has a few photos of the book or a short video of it so I can see how it looks and the quality, etc. Any fans have it?
It's an egregious waste of money.
Old 06-05-2015, 18:29
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
i think all the negativity of this one caused the lack of enthusiasm with the 2nd book project and that's sad.

but hey what did i expect from this fandom? if it's not by Richey/about Richey, it gets slagged off as unimportant and of a small artistic value.
There's a big difference between a picture book and a autobiography. The later would be much more welcome among the fan base than a bunch of dodgy Polaroids. I know you're a fan of Wire and it's great that you have a book of his snaps, but for me, I see no artistic merit in them at all. Even Nicky would be the first to admit that Richey was a much better visual artist than he is. Also, and probably more importantly, Richey is presumed dead. His absence makes anything to do with him more attractive to people. That's just the way it is. Ever wonder why the only time the Manics have been to North America since the late 90s has been to promote something Richey had involvement in? His story is appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It has to be good too...I think the problem with it is it really only interests people who are fans of nicky wire. Which is no bad thing, but it's never going to appeal to lots of people, and probably disappointed a lot of people when it was quite pricey!
Pretty much this.
Old 06-05-2015, 19:26
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I have it.. a lot of my favourite manics photos are in it plus a great jdb interview. Not too big and bulky either
Old 06-05-2015, 19:56
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I have it.. a lot of my favourite manics photos are in it plus a great jdb interview. Not too big and bulky either
I'd actually buy that book, but not at the original price.
Old 06-05-2015, 20:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
I'd actually buy that book, but not at the original price.
I got it for £13 including postage thru the book depository or wordery can't remember. I was waiting for Amazon to reduce it and it went up instead lol
Old 07-05-2015, 15:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Death of a Polaroid

HMV here in Dublin had the book on sale a few weeks ago, only a few Euro.

Some nice pictures of the band, but many more abstract and semi blurred views from hotel windows; views of the towns they've been in.

I have a spare copy, would like for it to go to fan, if anyone wants it. Free of charge, perhaps just cover postage, that's it.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

Am I the only one that quite likes what Nicky has done to the polaroids inside RTW? His art seems to have developed quite a bit. He's moved on from drawing on polaroids to almost painting watercolours. Perhaps in his spare time he's now dabbling with watercolours.

It's a pity his band biography most likely won't see the light of day. I would however like to see him write a few reviews or articles for a newspaper. Focusing on his favourite album or releasing a chapter from the biography.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:01
Desire on its knees

HMV on Grafton street in Dublin have 5 copies directly in front of the counter for 1.50-2 euro. It's worth it for the interview/look through the book, i couldn't find a copy on henry street.
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.