Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-05-2016, 08:33
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
But like I said, if it’s not good enough, it’s just not coming out.
That's good to read because ever since Lifeblood flopped we've had to put up with so much shi...

Quote:
Personally, I think we’ve had a pretty fucking mega 10 years within the band. Not just the hardcore fans, but among the general population, Send Away The Tigers is one of their favourite records ever
Old 24-05-2016, 17:15
Winterlover

Aye I had to re-read that sentence a couple of times.
Old 24-05-2016, 17:43
Footprint of history

Lol, he has no idea
Old 24-05-2016, 20:30
Winterlover

Isn't he sort of correct though? He's referring to the general population where tigers did sell pretty well. I'm really not going to go to my deathbed defending tigers by any means but we know they seem to conflate how good an album is with commercial success, unfortunately. I still think it was an album they absolutely felt they needed to make though or they probably would not still be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
But urgh. The whole "there's no good new music" schtick. I hate it when bands say that. There's absolutely tonnes!
Eno might have something to say about that. There is plenty of music but it's not packaged up with a little neat bow and handed to you in a music paper, those days are gone. It's out there but you have to find it. Lots and lots of new, challenging music but all unevenly distributed: to paraphrase william gibson.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 24-05-2016, 20:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Isn't he sort of correct though? He's referring to the general population where tigers did sell pretty well. I'm really not going to go to my deathbed defending tigers by any means but we know they seem to conflate how good an album is with commercial success, unfortunately.
I was talking to a girl in a pub last week, and she got really excited about Manics but only song that sprung to mind was 'Your Love Alone' - same with a girl I know at work. She has enduring memories of seeing them at some god awful T4 seaside gig and losing her mind to it. Add that to the reaction it's had on this tour, and there's no denying that the SATT era is 'a hit' among the population at large.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 24-05-2016, 21:07
Winterlover

That's my point, the wider commercial success seemed to keep them enthused with wanting to make music so i'm all for SATT in that regard. The b-sides of that era were great as well and we had the glorious journal for plague lovers as a counterpoint to it.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 26-05-2016, 01:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

They shouldn't just SATT back to basics or whatever, that would be so spotty. They just crawled out of that "rock" hole. It was reassuring to hear they're no longer thinking about that great guitarrrrrr album thing. Rubbish idea. If this is to be the last great phase of the Manic Street Preachers they'll have to empty their reserves of concept. Dig for new feelings. Put themselves out like a cigarette into what they're doing.

I agree they like being the Manics to much to ever stop. James too, look at that poor man, he has no idea how to live without the Manic Street Preachers.
Old 27-05-2016, 16:18
Desire on its knees

That was a great interview. I'm really looking forward to more Manics whether it be SATT-like or Futurology but I'd prefer the latter.
Old 27-05-2016, 22:17
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Nice that the interviewer is a genuine fan. Shame that they and the site can't proofread for shit.
Thought exactly the same. One of the perils of contemporary publishing, of course.

Nice, lengthy and comprehensive read - thanks to the original poster for the link.

I strongly suspect the next album will sound like variations on a mixture of Before I Leave and Together Stronger and no - I am not being facetious. They're the 'in-between albums' tracks and such one-offs often point the way to the sound of the next record.
Old 29-05-2016, 01:03
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatInTheHat View Post
That was a great interview. I'm really looking forward to more Manics whether it be SATT-like or Futurology but I'd prefer the latter.
I'd prefer neither. I like it how each Manics album has its own unique sound (okay, maybe Tigers and Postcards are the most similar ones) yet never failing to sound "Manic-esque".

I hope they surprise us with something else once again. But I'll highly appreciate even if that won't be the case.
Old 29-05-2016, 11:14
Desire on its knees

"James has been listening to a lot of ELO over the last year and that’s what he’s focussing on", says Nicky in that interview. That may come into it - i can see them pottering about in their studio adding huge orchestral productions to their new material.
Old 03-06-2016, 22:20
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I thought of this on the Bus home from a visit to a friend, but if Faster Studios is being demolished, then how about a double album of stuff they left unfinished (Or finish them off) that they recorded during their stay at the place?
Maybe not as thought out and agonised over as the follow up to Futurology, but Abbey Road would get 12 box sets if that studio ever got pencilled in for demolition!!
Old 02-08-2016, 16:16
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I thought of this on the Bus home from a visit to a friend, but if Faster Studios is being demolished, then how about a double album of stuff they left unfinished (Or finish them off) that they recorded during their stay at the place?
I'd be well up for this.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'd have thought that considering they've just bought a new property to be used solely by themselves for recording, there'll be a few more Manics albums to come. Just, please, NO MORE. ANNIVERSARY TOURS AND RE RELEASES!!!
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 07-08-2016, 13:59
Freed from the century

Well, Sean's new-found Twitter outspokenness is hinting strongly at new material coming our way... I'm delighted.