Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 21-06-2019, 16:14
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I mean don't forget the NT was just a one off night not a tour while the one in at the end of 2002 was a full tour of about 12 dates
It was a one off UK gig, but wasn't there a singles only European tour, and a Japan two night singles extravaganza?
Old 21-06-2019, 18:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
It was a one off UK gig, but wasn't there a singles only European tour, and a Japan two night singles extravaganza?
Yea I think I so. I remember they included further away cos that was a single in Japan ?
Old 21-06-2019, 19:12
Winterlover

Hits is always possible for a record company wanting to bleed a cash cow.

The only Manic Street Problem with that idea (whether it's in the contract or not) is that the importance of the singles chart has waned significantly over the last couple of decades. But more significantly, the band haven't actually had any "hits" (aka: top 40 singles) since 2010.

That, I suspect, makes a "best of" more likely, but even that's a bit of a tricky sell in an era of playlists on Spotify/Apple Music.

That said, if the band were obliged to put something out I'd just split the 2 audiences. For the hits, (and assuming there's no clamor from casual fans for a new compilation) just say "save your money and go buy National Treasures." No single disc or even double disc hits would properly do the band justice, as you'd have to drop classic material to put new stuff on there. For younger fans discovering the band, it might be fun to package the material up in a new way. One way of doing that would be to make a 3 disc set, one for each era (92-96, 98-07, 09-19), perhaps housed in a fancy book or something to make it a worthwhile purchase. No-one would agree on a definitive best of, but the band could put their favourite songs on there, free of the need to make a hits CD with only their most commercial songs on it.

For the hardcore, why not do a proper (and I do mean proper) book/box with all the vault stuff people have been asking for. Astoria videos. T in The Park 1999. All the demos. Loads of rare footage. Basically a PPF tour in a box.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 21-06-2019 at 23:44.
Old 22-06-2019, 10:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think if we do get another compilation, it'll probably be a 2CD set with a number of singles and deep cuts like the aforementioned Blur and Suede ones, hopefully selected by the band to reflect their overall sound (although, judging by recent setlists, it'll probably end up a singles collection if they're left in charge).

Or it'll be one of those cheap compilations that the label stick together, seemingly by sticking the entire catalogue into iTunes, pressing shuffle and selecting the first 12 tracks that come up. It'll probably be like this

01. A Design for Life
02. Motorcycle Emptiness (Radio Edit)
03. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will be Next
04. The Love of Richard Nixon
05. Repeat (Stars and Stripes)
06. Hazleton Avenue
07. Your Love Alone is Not Enough (James Solo Acoustic)
08. Kevin Carter (Live)
09. Horses Under Starlight
10. Life Becoming a Landslide
11. Show Me the Wonder
12. Damn Dog
Old 22-06-2019, 22:34
Bored of being bored

They could consider a B Sides Night? With some non singles but better still they should consider a Fan Request Gig with the money going to charity?
Old 23-06-2019, 00:57
I live to fall asleep

Can't see it happening. I'd like a full-on movie / documentary, covering everything. And a comprehensive book with untold stories, covering everything, not just focusing on the 92-96 period. And a new live dvd/blu ray.
Old 23-06-2019, 08:34

I hope there is a new album and tour, a documentary with rare songs and possible autobiography next year.

As mentioned above by The Crow, I think a request concert for charity would be a good idea.They asked for request songs to open the set before,
although I'm glad they played the album in full almost. Interaction in requests and rare songs would be good next tour.

Last edited by rosetree; 25-06-2019 at 20:46.
Old 05-07-2019, 16:01
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
But are they still signed to Sony? I've read they signed to a new label and RIF was either the first, and I'm sure I also read RIF was their last album for Epic? Which is Sony obviously.
Would try and make one show. But would be more enthused about new album than another compilation. I'll buy either and even a Lipstick Traces Part Two if they aren't going to deluxe everything they haven't already deluxed..
RIF is 100% Columbia = Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
It was reported over a year ago that they’ve signed a new deal with Warner, including confirmation from Warner itself, but it really doesn’t feel like they’ve left Sony.

http://uk.warnerchappell.com/news-details/679
JDB said recently himself they're still on Sony recordwise

I don't want another "greatest hits/reissue album & tour. I'd like them to take a break, write good songs, make a really good album and then tour in a year or two.

I understand that the money is needed, after this new studio flooding and whatever The Other Reasons are, but thank you very much. If they do the same thing next year, I'm only going to a gig or two.
Old 11-05-2021, 13:39
Bored of being bored

Just realised its 10 yrs since the NT night maybe something to just get back on the Live scene a bit
Old 15-05-2021, 19:06

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Greatest Hits tour next year? No chance, they'll be too busy celebrating PFAYM 10th anniversary.... Album played in full with remastered deluxe box set with all the trimmings accompanied by a retrospective two hour in depth documentary looking into the making of their seminal 2010 masterpiece.

(Tee hee, chortle).
Truism
Old 16-05-2021, 12:47
Bored of being bored

Know You Enemy re release, New LP etc

No chance now but they did some odd things in 2014 which wouldn't happen this time due to the timing.
Old 16-05-2021, 16:26

There's a Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds best of coming out soon, which feels excessive for someone who's released three albums and is still coasting on the fame of his previous band. Suede are due to release the third deluxe reissue of Coming Up this year too. So I'm sure Sony would be happy to put some cash into a best of, given that the physical market is increasingly dominated by unnecessary vinyl colour variants and fanbase-screwing reissues. We'll get at least one more compilation in the future, I'd bet. If we get a deluxe KYE at the end of the year, there's still the possibility of a deluxe Lifeblood at some point, and after that maybe Sony will just go all-out and do a big box set, with a band-curated best of alongside it.
Old 17-05-2021, 06:17
Bored of being bored

Noel G's trash, he's just lived off the Oasis back catalogue for the better part of the last 10 yrs which still bemuses me. I know Suede are doing the Coming Up tour.

It was just odd that the MSP did not tour Future properly because it was the best thing in a long time but instead they took THB on tour which they could have delayed. I dunno, no idea how long the contract is or what they intend to do, expect another compilation with a bonus song but comps don't sell so much anymore.
Old 17-05-2021, 08:28
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Noel G's trash, he's just lived off the Oasis back catalogue for the better part of the last 10 yrs which still bemuses me.
You're thinking of Liam. He's the one that became his own tribute band. Noel's the one that actually wants to move on.
Old 18-05-2021, 08:01
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice View Post
You're thinking of Liam. He's the one that became his own tribute band. Noel's the one that actually wants to move on.
Hmmmm, I'm sure I'm right

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/noel-ga...-13d241d5.html

Beady Eye on the 1st LP & tour didn't play hardly any Oasis songs, they brought them in more so on the woeful 2nd LP.