Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 15:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

A lot of people were quite appreciative of Postcards when it came out but the fullness of time has seen many viewing it as one of their poorest if not the most disappointing.
Old 12-09-2013, 15:32

1. GT – I only heard this in 1993, and after I heard GATS. At the time, GATS had more impact on me, and still has. (8)
2. GATS – First manics album to hear, (without knowing much about them) and I was blown away. It had wild guitar work,
Best lyrics and polished powerful appeal. I became a huge fan and at 22 found my favorite band. (9)
3. THB – First album I was waiting for, and first one I bought when released. When this album got me, I was jumping up to the ceiling. (10)
4. EMG – At the time, I considered this album as a letdown, and had to rethink manics and my place as a fan. Of course it grew on me during the years,
And I can fully appreciate it now. (8)
5. TIMTTMY – Loved it from the get go. I relate this one to my ex GF, we listened to it together. (8)
6. KYE – Loved this one as well. I understand this is a group of songs that are only loosely related. I never had an issue with that. (8)
7. L – This one unfortunately leaked 2 months earlier. Everybody had it here on FD and many people were angry about this record. I remember people
Mainly liked 1985 and Solitude Sometimes Is and were bashing most of other songs. I liked it right away, and I knew right away it is a huge grower. (8)
8. SATT – Heard single first and did not like it. Then heard Underdogs and did not liked it. I was ready for a huge letdown when I had a copy in my hands.
I was reading the booklet and listening on maxed headphones. Artwork was brilliant and by the middle of the album (Second great depression solo… or Rendition)
I had to shed a few tears. I was feeling great. Later of course, this album faded away a bit, and I never felt like I was when I listened to it first time. (7)
9. JFPL - Hype was huge and I could not wait. Album proved to be strong statement, with some of the best songs by manics (TJSS and BL imho). I went for a gig in
Detroit and sow them for a first time in my life. There were ~ 168 of us on that concert and I was standing 2 meters away from James and Nicky. It felt weird and amazing. (9)
10. PFAYM - Somehow, I knew what to expect from this one. It sounded good on first few listens but I rarely have a desire to hear any of these songs. I just played it last week and
Album had very little impact on me. (6)
11. RTF – I still have to play all songs on my mp3 and play album in full. Title track grew a lot on me. It has potential to be better than PFAYM and SATT (-)
Old 12-09-2013, 17:01
Winterlover

4 hearings of RTF

THB
EMG
JFPL
GATS
GT
L

KYE
SATT
TIMTTMY

....endless gap....
RTF (shouldn't have been released)
PFAYM (shouldn't have been released)
Old 12-09-2013, 17:33

It's way too early to work out where it would go in the overall table. Only heard songs two or three times
Old 12-09-2013, 18:22
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RND View Post
1. GT – I only heard this in 1993, and after I heard GATS. At the time, GATS had more impact on me, and still has. (8)
2. GATS – First manics album to hear, (without knowing much about them) and I was blown away. It had wild guitar work,
Best lyrics and polished powerful appeal. I became a huge fan and at 22 found my favorite band. (9)
3. THB – First album I was waiting for, and first one I bought when released. When this album got me, I was jumping up to the ceiling. (10)
4. EMG – At the time, I considered this album as a letdown, and had to rethink manics and my place as a fan. Of course it grew on me during the years,
And I can fully appreciate it now. (8)
5. TIMTTMY – Loved it from the get go. I relate this one to my ex GF, we listened to it together. (8)
6. KYE – Loved this one as well. I understand this is a group of songs that are only loosely related. I never had an issue with that. (8)
7. L – This one unfortunately leaked 2 months earlier. Everybody had it here on FD and many people were angry about this record. I remember people
Mainly liked 1985 and Solitude Sometimes Is and were bashing most of other songs. I liked it right away, and I knew right away it is a huge grower. (8)
8. SATT – Heard single first and did not like it. Then heard Underdogs and did not liked it. I was ready for a huge letdown when I had a copy in my hands.
I was reading the booklet and listening on maxed headphones. Artwork was brilliant and by the middle of the album (Second great depression solo… or Rendition)
I had to shed a few tears. I was feeling great. Later of course, this album faded away a bit, and I never felt like I was when I listened to it first time. (7)
9. JFPL - Hype was huge and I could not wait. Album proved to be strong statement, with some of the best songs by manics (TJSS and BL imho). I went for a gig in
Detroit and sow them for a first time in my life. There were ~ 168 of us on that concert and I was standing 2 meters away from James and Nicky. It felt weird and amazing. (9)
10. PFAYM - Somehow, I knew what to expect from this one. It sounded good on first few listens but I rarely have a desire to hear any of these songs. I just played it last week and
Album had very little impact on me. (6)
11. RTF – I still have to play all songs on my mp3 and play album in full. Title track grew a lot on me. It has potential to be better than PFAYM and SATT (-)
Interesting remembrances, enjoyed reading this one.
Old 12-09-2013, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Interesting remembrances, enjoyed reading this one.
Thank you. I forgot to tell that my 8 yr old daughter likes PFAYM a lot : )
Old 12-09-2013, 20:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Thank you. I forgot to tell that my 8 yr old daughter likes PFAYM a lot : )
I must also said I really enjoyed your post, it's so refreshing...
Old 12-09-2013, 21:09
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
I forgot to tell that my 8 yr old daughter likes PFAYM a lot : )
YOU RUINED IT!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 21:27

Update:

After receiving the singles I can say that RTF will be the worst. Eben THB would be the worst with this on it. Why are the Manics the only band in the world that doesn't even try to sound ironic when they are obviously delivering an embarrassing pile of shit? Is this THB for 95 year olds? They are simply not able to do something different than their own style, their cover versions are worse than the originals, and every "experiment" is shit (So Why So Sad, Nixon, Grace of God, even Tsunami: here you can see that they only need one slightly different instrument to make it sound like Oktoberfest).
They should listen to Sandinista! one million times, possibly one of them will realize that it doesn't need to be horrible embarrassing shit when you do something different. I hope their children will be 15/16 soon to tell them how embarrassing this is.
Sorry for the rant, but here nobody knows them, but everybody knows that I'm a fan. If they hear this in the radio, I have to kill myself.
Old 12-09-2013, 21:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Potter View Post
Is this THB for 95 year olds?

good point!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 21:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Update:

Is this THB for 95 year olds? .
no
Old 12-09-2013, 21:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
YOU RUINED IT!!!

you must understand it. She's 8 years old and is suffering from nostalgia towards being 5 years old - when PFAYM was released...
Old 12-09-2013, 21:42
Winterlover

Quote:
Update:

After receiving the singles I can say that RTF will be the worst. Eben THB would be the worst with this on it. Why are the Manics the only band in the world that doesn't even try to sound ironic when they are obviously delivering an embarrassing pile of shit? Is this THB for 95 year olds? They are simply not able to do something different than their own style, their cover versions are worse than the originals, and every "experiment" is shit (So Why So Sad, Nixon, Grace of God, even Tsunami: here you can see that they only need one slightly different instrument to make it sound like Oktoberfest).
They should listen to Sandinista! one million times, possibly one of them will realize that it doesn't need to be horrible embarrassing shit when you do something different. I hope their children will be 15/16 soon to tell them how embarrassing this is.
Sorry for the rant, but here nobody knows them, but everybody knows that I'm a fan. If they hear this in the radio, I have to kill myself.
and do expect moment when you realize they did a great job when choosing the single - it's the best song there
Old 12-09-2013, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
no
So it's THB for 3 month olds? SMTW would fit perfectly into a music box...
Old 12-09-2013, 21:44
Winterlover

Quote:
So it's THB for 3 month olds? Would fit perfectly into a music box...