Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-02-2006, 00:30
Empty Cities

Manics songs that include music/lyrics stolen from someone else

I thought The Holy Bible was untouchable, until I noticed that the chord progression on 'Revol' (once it gets past the intro) is way too similar to that of 'Under My Wheels', their '92 Alice Cooper cover from the 'Motorcycle Emptiness' single.

I also heard elsewhere on these boards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica
*Tolerate. Esp. in view of the fact it's now been conclusively established that they didn't even write the chord progression...
Terrible song anyway.

And apparently Richey lifted many of the words on THB out of books he was reading at the time. Guess inspiration's gotta come from somewhere...
Old 01-02-2006, 00:36
Winterlover

The chord sequence in Tolerate is supposed to resemble an old Stranglers track called duchess but apparently it's entirely coincidental. When the similarity was brought to their attention, the Manics (well I'm assuming James and Sean are the relevant ones ) said they had never heard the track.
For me, the strings on TGWWTBG sound naggingly familiar, but I can't place what they resemble...
Old 01-02-2006, 00:40
Desire on its knees

the Manics have been somewhat both obvious and not obvious in the lifting of other peoples ideas from the beginning.

the cover for Suicide Alley is a homage to the first Clash album.

the lyrics for You Love Us ("throw some acid to your face") is inspired from the William Burroughs quote that was on the back sleeve of Motown Junk ("they throw acid at the Mona Lisa").
Old 01-02-2006, 00:47
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scum Factor
the cover for Suicide Alley is a homage to the first Clash album.
I have a fairly recent live version of Strip it Down (which I'm listening to as I type) where James introduces it as "a song we wrote when we were about 17, a sort of Clash-by-numbers type of song."
Old 01-02-2006, 00:53
Winterlover

This thread should pretty well cover it!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Nicky said he`d never heard of it but admitted it did bear a certain resemblence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalserf
The chord sequence in Tolerate is supposed to resemble an old Stranglers track called duchess but apparently it's entirely coincidental. When the similarity was brought to their attention, the Manics (well I'm assuming James and Sean are the relevant ones ) said they had never heard the track.
For me, the strings on TGWWTBG sound naggingly familiar, but I can't place what they resemble...
1st July 1993 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th April 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th October 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 12th December 1996 Cardiff International Arena, 24th May 1997 Manchester Nynex Arena, 23rd August 1997 Reading Festival, 26th June 1999 Glastonbury Festival, 26th August 2001 Leeds Festival, 6th December 2002 MEN Arena, 11th July 2003 Move Festival,17th December 2004 MEN Arena, 17th April 2005 Leeds Refectory, 9th May 2007 Leeds Refectory, 11th October 2010 Leeds Town & Country Club, 1st June 2015 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 2nd May 2018 Leeds Arena, 27th May 2019 York Barbican, 10th September 2021 Piece Hall, Halifax, 7th October 2021 Leeds Town & Country Club

www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums
www.jamesradley.co.uk
Old 10-02-2006, 15:56
Empty Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalserf
I have a fairly recent live version of Strip it Down (which I'm listening to as I type) where James introduces it as "a song we wrote when we were about 17, a sort of Clash-by-numbers type of song."
That's a good song.

Just noticed today that the same chord progression from 'Under My Wheels' and 'Revol' is also in 'Donkeys'. Obviously some chord progressions crop up all over the place, but this one is pretty unique to my ears. I'm guessing 'Under My Wheels' (unconsciously, probably) had its place in the writing of both of those other songs.
Old 10-02-2006, 18:15
Fred Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Cities
Terrible song anyway.
get out.
Old 10-02-2006, 19:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scum Factor
the lyrics for You Love Us ("throw some acid to your face") is inspired from the William Burroughs quote that was on the back sleeve of Motown Junk ("they throw acid at the Mona Lisa").
And 'You better wake up and smell the real flavour' was lifted from Public Enemy's 911 is a Joke (although the 'u' in 'flavour' was the Manics' own ).

And although it was mentioned that Failure Bound borrowed from Phillip Larkin when it came out, it was only yesterday that I realised they used the quote in the Stars and Stripes booklet fourteen years ago.
Old 10-02-2006, 19:36
Freed from the century

"destroyed by madness" - Allen Ginsberg.
Old 10-02-2006, 19:45
A self-made vacuum

But all the drugs in this world
Won't save her from herself
- Marilyn Manson

And all the drugs in the world
Can't save us from ourselves
- Nicky Wire
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37
Empty Cities

hehe...tsk tsk, Nicky
Old 13-02-2006, 14:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

Rudi's gonna fail, a play on the clashes Rudi cant fail. Just basically stole a clash idea and reversed it, just audaious if you ask me.

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 22-02-2006, 05:42
Empty Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbabyshambles123
Rudi's gonna fail, a play on the clashes Rudi cant fail. Just basically stole a clash idea and reversed it, just audaious if you ask me.
that one feels like more of a homage than a rip-off, cos people are bound to recognise it
Old 15-12-2010, 21:38
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollgan View Post
"destroyed by madness" - Allen Ginsberg.
I've just found it, I've been listening to Stay Beautiful and this line stuck to me, so I googled it and I was suprised not getting SB lyrics firstly but Ginsberg's poem 'Howl'
http://www.wussu.com/poems/agh.htm
I dunno if you read his poems on English lessons (we don't) so for me it wasn't obvious.