Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22-10-2019, 22:47
p2 p2 is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,329
Future Box Set Ideas?

So a bit bored and looking at all my box sets, and the growing number of vinyl box sets to be more precise.
And apart from the recent anniversary LP sets there are no other MSP ones.

So what would you like to see?

Maybe like Suede, all the LPs in one collection.
Springsteen, a box for every set amount of years/era? (90s 2000s etc.)
Or maybe like Depeche Mode's recent 12" singles archive sets (with posters, flexis and the like).

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-10-2019, 01:33
junkymotown's Avatar
junkymotown junkymotown is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Japan
Age: 34
Posts: 1,462
It's tricky... as any box I set I buy would just sit on a shelf and gather dust. Which seems kind of sad. I haven't played a CD in ... probably a couple of years. Let alone a tape or a record.

Anything with demos and rarities does it for me though. I don't care for posters and records, more the actual contact. A GATS box set with demos would definitely interest me. An official release of all those old demos that were on the Lipstick Traces and Turning Rebellion Into Money bootlegs would be kind of cool.

Or... ooo! A box set of the National Treasures O2 gig. All the live tracks, plus a DVD, plus... I dunno, sommat cool.
__________________
Manchester Apollo - 27 Feb 2001
Manchester MEN - 6 Dec 2002
Manchester MEN - 17 Dec 2004
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-10-2019, 05:53
Dac X Lee's Avatar
Dac X Lee Dac X Lee is offline
Hold me she said, Love me to Death
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Posts: 2,719
I want a box containing the album and....
ACTION FIGURES! ♥
I want action figures of all 4 of them, with clothes and accessories from different eras.
Also, we'd need a young version and an "old" version.
__________________
100 0100 110 0001 111 0010 110 1001 110 0001
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-10-2019, 07:33
junkymotown's Avatar
junkymotown junkymotown is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Japan
Age: 34
Posts: 1,462
And that ^ is the one thing we've been missing all these years. Balls to box sets and merchandise. Action figures!! Can Nicky's come with a Dyson?
__________________
Manchester Apollo - 27 Feb 2001
Manchester MEN - 6 Dec 2002
Manchester MEN - 17 Dec 2004
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-10-2019, 10:57
IntlDebris IntlDebris is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 129
Other than deluxe reissues of GATS, KYE and Lifeblood, there aren't any I'd be interested in - already tired of labels churning out recycled material on the grounds that they know the artist has a fanbase full of people who'll buy anything with their name on it.

I wouldn't mind a PFAYM box with all the b-sides on, or at least a 2CD of all the post-SATT b-sides.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-10-2019, 12:47
Lee Lee is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 34
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
It's tricky... as any box I set I buy would just sit on a shelf and gather dust. Which seems kind of sad. I haven't played a CD in ... probably a couple of years. Let alone a tape or a record.

Anything with demos and rarities does it for me though. I don't care for posters and records, more the actual contact. A GATS box set with demos would definitely interest me. An official release of all those old demos that were on the Lipstick Traces and Turning Rebellion Into Money bootlegs would be kind of cool.

Or... ooo! A box set of the National Treasures O2 gig. All the live tracks, plus a DVD, plus... I dunno, sommat cool.
Good point! The National Treasures gig was a mess with the way the songs have been distributed - some download only, some as b-sides, others as import CD songs only. Just stick it on one album ffs.

Lipstick Traces 2 (mainly to hear the vinyl tracks on CD) would be really useful as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-10-2019, 18:20
Mr Richey's Avatar
Mr Richey Mr Richey is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Harborne, Birmingham, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 10,623
A box set of several new albums would be nice, instead of the constant nostalgia fest.
__________________
This Is My Truth So Shut Your Face
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-10-2019, 19:42
LA ex's Avatar
LA ex LA ex is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Good point! The National Treasures gig was a mess with the way the songs have been distributed - some download only, some as b-sides, others as import CD songs only. Just stick it on one album ffs.

Lipstick Traces 2 (mainly to hear the vinyl tracks on CD) would be really useful as well.
The National Treasures gig was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a great moment in the band's history. Still shocked that they didn't film it professionally.

How many of the songs from the gig have had official recordings released? I'm guessing the chances of the rest coming out are pretty much zero.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-10-2019, 20:51
Lee Lee is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 34
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
The National Treasures gig was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a great moment in the band's history. Still shocked that they didn't film it professionally.

How many of the songs from the gig have had official recordings released? I'm guessing the chances of the rest coming out are pretty much zero.
Yeah agree. I find it strange that they went to the effort of making a soundboard recoding, mixing it etc then sticking various songs randomly on a number of different formats. A digital download would’ve been great if a physical one wasn’t financially viable.

I guess something like 16 songs are officially available from it?! Something like that?! The rest won’t see the light of day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-10-2019, 23:10
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
A box set of several new albums would be nice, instead of the constant nostalgia fest.
Yeah, I would always favour new material too if it was a choice between that and re-issues/compliations, but I think 'constant' is a teensy-bit OTT... I think they are very aware of not only doing re-issues.

I'm just happy they are still making new music at all after this long. I'll take the intermittent nostalgia fest happily while we wait for new material. One day all we'll have left is what's left behind and then it really will be a constant nostalgia fest, if anything.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | Newest Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-10-2019, 23:27
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
The National Treasures gig was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a great moment in the band's history. Still shocked that they didn't film it professionally.

How many of the songs from the gig have had official recordings released? I'm guessing the chances of the rest coming out are pretty much zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Yeah agree. I find it strange that they went to the effort of making a soundboard recoding, mixing it etc then sticking various songs randomly on a number of different formats. A digital download would’ve been great if a physical one wasn’t financially viable.

I guess something like 16 songs are officially available from it?! Something like that?! The rest won’t see the light of day.

25 out of 38 were released, these 13 were the ones that didn't so far I think (unless I missed any!):

Love's Sweet Exile
Everything Must Go
Autumnsong
This Is The Day
The Everlasting
Indian Summer
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Australia
La Tristesse Durera
Found That Soul
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Roses In The Hospital
So Why So Sad
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | Newest Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24-10-2019, 09:18
Routine Builder's Avatar
Routine Builder Routine Builder is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Yeah, I would always favour new material too if it was a choice between that and re-issues/compliations, but I think 'constant' is a teensy-bit OTT... I think they are very aware of not only doing re-issues.
The past five years have seen three re-issues (two of which have been re-issued already) and one studio album and it looks like we might get a GATS re-issue before the next album.

I'm not complaining, I'm just happy they're still making records and I have the chance see albums live I wasn't around for but I can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. If there is no album released next year, that means only three albums were released this decade.
__________________


Stand back, I have political powers!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24-10-2019, 12:01
IntlDebris IntlDebris is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 129
1990s - five albums
2000s - four albums
2010s - four albums

Seems relatively consistent, although the '10s maybe feel less balanced as we had the two 'sister' albums within a year of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
The past five years have seen three re-issues
Four, surely? THB, EMG, SATT, TIMT.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24-10-2019, 13:49
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,047
Completely forgot about the SATT one. As have most people, I'd imagine
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24-10-2019, 15:13
IntlDebris IntlDebris is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 129
It sticks in my mind because it was the first copy of the album I actually bought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.