Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 06-10-2020, 22:55
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is online now
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,969
Yeah Simon got that wrong. Lipstick traces was the first time we heard judge yrself, at least officially.
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 19-10-2020, 19:46
ron the little seal's Avatar
ron the little seal ron the little seal is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wales
Age: 36
Posts: 763
I quite enjoy postcards but this episode has legit made me laugh too much
__________________
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 20-10-2020, 19:07
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ...my fathers can have it.
Posts: 5,539
I recently tried putting together a 2 cd lp of hidden gems (from this thread) but i simply couldn't narrow it down to less than 3 cds and where i really came unstuck was with this album because there are too many cracking b-sides hidden here -

I'm leaving you for solitude
Distractions
Lost voices
I know the numbers
Broken up again
Red rubber
Time ain't nothing
Inky fingers
Kiss my eyes for eternity

My point is that for some unearthly reason they've made an album with loads of forgettable filler that really should be shunted to b-sides - hazelton avenue and i think i found it are just god awful and i banish thee. It's not war seems to continue the trend of being enjoyed by the casuals but disliked by the fans - which probably goes for the album as a whole.

I agree that the last third of the album is the most interesting and i rather like the tracks so i'd keep those and i'd rate them higher than what these lot did, particularly don't be evil despite some clunky repetitive lyrics... wait, you have an open microphone to a massive corporation in your very home?!

Thing is though, i think you're ascribing a meaning to these last four lyrics that was never there to begin with, i do think they've become rather prophetic but nicky was writing them from a total luddite shouting at clouds who saw absolutely no benefits to being online. I've ranted about the internet being a cesspit of trolls many times but it's still a foundation on top of which the many real issues of the day are being fought but nicky certainly wasn't thinking about this when he wrote these lyrics because i remember the interviews around the promotion for this album at the time.

Pretty sure billion balconies is a j. g. ballard reference, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
__________________
Please, he prayed, now -
A gray disk, the colour of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 21-10-2020, 20:53
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is online now
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,969
Postcards is a meh album for me. It's not war ..was the first lead single I was disappointed by but I do like it live for some reason.
The verses of some kind of nothingness reminds me of the housemartins Build ( the buh buh build bit)

Didn't agree with Adam's hatred for postcards and Hazelton avenue but his reaction was very funny

Golden slumbers I think is great and I loved the shoebox. Only paid £80 for it I'm sure on release or £75? Def not £100. It was overpriced but the copy of Nicky's notebook is ace.

Like many I remember preferring a lot of the b-sides so agree with Tim some odd decisions there unless they were written or finished after the album's release?

This was the acute laryngitis tour where half the gigs were postponed. Didn't see them in London till January 2011 but James was on fire so worth the wait. Ian McCullough was meant to play one of the original dates.

Ooh and the album launch gig is James's worst gig ever. Bad day at the office

Bought a shedload of merch that tour including paying a fiver for a sheet of stickers. Idiot.
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 22-10-2020, 19:19
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ...my fathers can have it.
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Like many I remember preferring a lot of the b-sides so agree with Tim some odd decisions there unless they were written or finished after the album's release?
Shit, i failed to think of this but yeah, it's a good bet some of the tracks were recorded later. Some great songs though, i will always return to broken up again in particular.
__________________
Please, he prayed, now -
A gray disk, the colour of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 22-10-2020, 19:27
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Shit, i failed to think of this but yeah, it's a good bet some of the tracks were recorded later. Some great songs though, i will always return to broken up again in particular.
Ah yeah, I think Broken Up Again is great too. I would have had that on the album for sure.

I like PFAYM, but I think I get why some don’t.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| PorcoTunes: Soundcloud=fdporco YouTube=PorcoForever | Newest Track: 'Arrakis' - (SC)(YT)
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 22-10-2020, 20:37
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is online now
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,969
Oh christ I've said golden slumbers in my post above ... keep calling it that in my head ..PLATITUDES sorry !
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 22-10-2020, 20:45
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ...my fathers can have it.
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Oh christ I've said golden slumbers in my post above ... keep calling it that in my head ..PLATITUDES sorry !
I thought you were being intentional there but it didn't make sense because you like the track. Still, it could have been a far worse typo.
__________________
Please, he prayed, now -
A gray disk, the colour of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 22-10-2020, 23:52
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is online now
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I thought you were being intentional there but it didn't make sense because you like the track. Still, it could have been a far worse typo.
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 25-10-2020, 16:57
Fabulous Disaster Fabulous Disaster is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
Both parts of JFPL are now out in the world. Simon was so great to talk to!
Thank you so much for all of the podcasts - I listened to the JFPL ones over the last couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed them. Simon Price was such a great guest to have, and I really enjoyed hearing his take on this album and related matters. In fact, I think I could happily listen to his thoughts on anything they've ever done. Brilliant to hear that he will be following up 'Everything' too. Many thanks, these podcasts very much re-energise my interest in the band.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 26-10-2020, 14:26
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,453
I listened to the National Treasures episode! I have some observations.

I liked how you started by mentioning Motown Junk, that was good.
Then how you also went on to say Stay Beautiful.
It was very logical to go onto Love's Sweet Exile, I thought.
I notice that you then covered the inclusion of You Love Us, which seemed highly appropriate.
One thing I would say is, you went on to include Slash 'n' Burn on the run-down, which was nice.
It was then gratifying to hear Motorcycle Emptiness’ name mentioned.
That reminds me, that you then verbalised what I’m sure many of us were thinking at that point, in the form of Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless).
Naturally, you advanced proceedings further with Little Baby Nothing.
Just in case anyone missed it, you then moved on to From Despair to Where.
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) followed, thankfully.
We then heard Roses in the Hospital get a shout-out.
Incredibly, you then mentioned Life Becoming a Landslide (I don’t know if it really was incredibly so, but it did happen nevertheless).
You then made a funny joke about the name of Faster which I enjoyed.
Revol, denoitnem uoy nehT.
The titular ‘she’ in She Is Suffering could possibly be describing the audience at this point, but not me, I was still enjoying it.
Quite predictably we then heard tell of A Design for Life,
As well as Everything Must Go, and Kevin Carter, and Australia
I think I’m right in saying that they warned our parents that long lists being read on podcasts must be stopped, and so because nothing was done about it, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next was proven to be accurate.
You did mention The Everlasting, but I was disappointed you didn’t go on a jokey diversion about Mumm-Ra the Ever-living from classic cartoon series Thundercats, but nevermind.
I noticed the next track was You Stole the Sun from My Heart, and the list continued with Tsunami and The Masses Against the Classes, which all seemed very correct.
So Why So Sad is listed before Found That Soul, which you might have noted is slightly interesting in that they were released on the same day, so could have been listed the other way round and still been in the correct order.
Then you briefly referred to Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing, before touching upon There by the Grace of God (and the logically but sadly lacking Door to the River, the ‘Sir not-appearing-in-this-compilation’ of the album (if you catch the Monty Python reference).
The Love of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls were then listed, as you rightly highlighted, using words (kindly vocalised and recorded for the podcast, thank you all for that).
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough is in many ways the most Manics-y answer to the question of your podcast title, and here it was in the tracklisting, so that was nice.
I don’t remember if you mentioned Autumnsong and then Indian Summer, but I rather suspect it was highly likely you did do, because at this point my coffee was getting cold.
(It’s not analysis) just a tracklisting really, but in that spirit of listing, (It's Not War) Just the End of Love was a sensible inclusion at this stage, followed by Some Kind of Nothingness and Postcards from a Young (but now rapidly ageing) Man, before you finally got to This Is the Day, a song that almost describes how long it felt to listen to this recap of the tracks listed in the tracklisting, where a list of tracks were listed in a very list-like manner.

It was alright though, nice podcast, thanks.
(Hopefully obviously all meant in fun and with much appreciation!)
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| PorcoTunes: Soundcloud=fdporco YouTube=PorcoForever | Newest Track: 'Arrakis' - (SC)(YT)
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 26-10-2020, 15:05
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I listened to the National Treasures episode! I have some observations.

I liked how you started by mentioning Motown Junk, that was good.
Then how you also went on to say Stay Beautiful.
It was very logical to go onto Love's Sweet Exile, I thought.
I notice that you then covered the inclusion of You Love Us, which seemed highly appropriate.
One thing I would say is, you went on to include Slash 'n' Burn on the run-down, which was nice.
It was then gratifying to hear Motorcycle Emptiness’ name mentioned.
That reminds me, that you then verbalised what I’m sure many of us were thinking at that point, in the form of Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless).
Naturally, you advanced proceedings further with Little Baby Nothing.
Just in case anyone missed it, you then moved on to From Despair to Where.
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) followed, thankfully.
We then heard Roses in the Hospital get a shout-out.
Incredibly, you then mentioned Life Becoming a Landslide (I don’t know if it really was incredibly so, but it did happen nevertheless).
You then made a funny joke about the name of Faster which I enjoyed.
Revol, denoitnem uoy nehT.
The titular ‘she’ in She Is Suffering could possibly be describing the audience at this point, but not me, I was still enjoying it.
Quite predictably we then heard tell of A Design for Life,
As well as Everything Must Go, and Kevin Carter, and Australia
I think I’m right in saying that they warned our parents that long lists being read on podcasts must be stopped, and so because nothing was done about it, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next was proven to be accurate.
You did mention The Everlasting, but I was disappointed you didn’t go on a jokey diversion about Mumm-Ra the Ever-living from classic cartoon series Thundercats, but nevermind.
I noticed the next track was You Stole the Sun from My Heart, and the list continued with Tsunami and The Masses Against the Classes, which all seemed very correct.
So Why So Sad is listed before Found That Soul, which you might have noted is slightly interesting in that they were released on the same day, so could have been listed the other way round and still been in the correct order.
Then you briefly referred to Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing, before touching upon There by the Grace of God (and the logically but sadly lacking Door to the River, the ‘Sir not-appearing-in-this-compilation’ of the album (if you catch the Monty Python reference).
The Love of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls were then listed, as you rightly highlighted, using words (kindly vocalised and recorded for the podcast, thank you all for that).
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough is in many ways the most Manics-y answer to the question of your podcast title, and here it was in the tracklisting, so that was nice.
I don’t remember if you mentioned Autumnsong and then Indian Summer, but I rather suspect it was highly likely you did do, because at this point my coffee was getting cold.
(It’s not analysis) just a tracklisting really, but in that spirit of listing, (It's Not War) Just the End of Love was a sensible inclusion at this stage, followed by Some Kind of Nothingness and Postcards from a Young (but now rapidly ageing) Man, before you finally got to This Is the Day, a song that almost describes how long it felt to listen to this recap of the tracks listed in the tracklisting, where a list of tracks were listed in a very list-like manner.

It was alright though, nice podcast, thanks.
(Hopefully obviously all meant in fun and with much appreciation!)
Perfect summation of the episode, to be honest. Glad you 'enjoyed' it.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 26-10-2020, 20:31
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is online now
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,969
Banging list
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 27-10-2020, 17:20
Suicide Aldi's Avatar
Suicide Aldi Suicide Aldi is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I listened to the National Treasures episode! I have some observations.

I liked how you started by mentioning Motown Junk, that was good.
Then how you also went on to say Stay Beautiful.
It was very logical to go onto Love's Sweet Exile, I thought.
I notice that you then covered the inclusion of You Love Us, which seemed highly appropriate.
One thing I would say is, you went on to include Slash 'n' Burn on the run-down, which was nice.
It was then gratifying to hear Motorcycle Emptiness’ name mentioned.
That reminds me, that you then verbalised what I’m sure many of us were thinking at that point, in the form of Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless).
Naturally, you advanced proceedings further with Little Baby Nothing.
Just in case anyone missed it, you then moved on to From Despair to Where.
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) followed, thankfully.
We then heard Roses in the Hospital get a shout-out.
Incredibly, you then mentioned Life Becoming a Landslide (I don’t know if it really was incredibly so, but it did happen nevertheless).
You then made a funny joke about the name of Faster which I enjoyed.
Revol, denoitnem uoy nehT.
The titular ‘she’ in She Is Suffering could possibly be describing the audience at this point, but not me, I was still enjoying it.
Quite predictably we then heard tell of A Design for Life,
As well as Everything Must Go, and Kevin Carter, and Australia
I think I’m right in saying that they warned our parents that long lists being read on podcasts must be stopped, and so because nothing was done about it, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next was proven to be accurate.
You did mention The Everlasting, but I was disappointed you didn’t go on a jokey diversion about Mumm-Ra the Ever-living from classic cartoon series Thundercats, but nevermind.
I noticed the next track was You Stole the Sun from My Heart, and the list continued with Tsunami and The Masses Against the Classes, which all seemed very correct.
So Why So Sad is listed before Found That Soul, which you might have noted is slightly interesting in that they were released on the same day, so could have been listed the other way round and still been in the correct order.
Then you briefly referred to Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing, before touching upon There by the Grace of God (and the logically but sadly lacking Door to the River, the ‘Sir not-appearing-in-this-compilation’ of the album (if you catch the Monty Python reference).
The Love of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls were then listed, as you rightly highlighted, using words (kindly vocalised and recorded for the podcast, thank you all for that).
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough is in many ways the most Manics-y answer to the question of your podcast title, and here it was in the tracklisting, so that was nice.
I don’t remember if you mentioned Autumnsong and then Indian Summer, but I rather suspect it was highly likely you did do, because at this point my coffee was getting cold.
(It’s not analysis) just a tracklisting really, but in that spirit of listing, (It's Not War) Just the End of Love was a sensible inclusion at this stage, followed by Some Kind of Nothingness and Postcards from a Young (but now rapidly ageing) Man, before you finally got to This Is the Day, a song that almost describes how long it felt to listen to this recap of the tracks listed in the tracklisting, where a list of tracks were listed in a very list-like manner.

It was alright though, nice podcast, thanks.
(Hopefully obviously all meant in fun and with much appreciation!)
This is almost as funny as the episode itself.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 28-10-2020, 17:01
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
This is almost as funny as the episode itself.
...Thanks! I think... ?
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| PorcoTunes: Soundcloud=fdporco YouTube=PorcoForever | Newest Track: 'Arrakis' - (SC)(YT)
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.