Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-12-2013, 21:55
Under neon loneliness

Correctly, you might say
Old 23-12-2013, 00:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'd say yes, it is a Britpop album, but it depends on how widely you define 'Britpop'. The genre could be as narrow as to mean only Blur, Pulp, Oasis and their imitators, but it could also have a wider definition that encompasses Suede, Elastica, The Verve, Kula Shaker, EMG-era Manics and even Bends-era Radiohead.

If you look at the bands that were the major influences on Britpop, a rough list might be:

Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Jam, Sex Pistols, Clash, Smiths and Stone Roses.

I don't think any of those would seem out of place on a Manics' playlist. Mnay of them influenced EMG, probably.

Britpop was music based around rock guitars and pop hooks that commented on aspects of British life in the mid-90s. I think EMG fits those criteria, as would Suede's Coming Up.

The fact that EMG is much more intelligent lyrically and musically subtle than most Britpop bands doesn't stop it being part of the broader genre. And I say this despite absolutely loathing Blur (who are the quintessential Britpop band).
Old 24-12-2013, 19:35
Doors slowly closing

It's Britpop in the way that it's British and has some catchy songs. That's it though, i don't think songs like Small Black Flowers an Removables belong on a traditional 'britpop' album. In the end it's a Manic Street Preachers album, i'm sure despite it's more angular production THB would've been classed as Britpop had it come out in 1995 and had wider recognition.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Seriously? THB as britpop? What is this I don't even...?
I struggle with categorising EMG as britpop and as an old git who was around at the time (for the record I was #teamoasis) I didn't consider it to be related in any way to the music scene at that time. MSP were (my opinion) a one-off, it was difficult to compare them to anything, let alone group them.
THB on the other hand - when it came out I bought it, listened to it and found it VERY hard to comprehend. I read the lyrics and found it even more hard to comprehend. It would never have fitted with britpop. The closest thing around at the time to associate it with was Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral, they were both darker than midnight in a cave. To put TIHOE in the same musical bracket as anything is impossible, let alone shit like Blur's Country House bag of mockney wank.