Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-04-2014, 12:56
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasnost View Post
"Everything is art. Everything is politics. " - AI WEIWE
Thank you
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
I'm sure I've witnessed him drunkenly dancing on a table to ABBA in King Tuts when they supported them on their album shows...or was it someone from FoxFace....
It was definitely the singer from The Twilight Sad. He and his girlfriend did a synchronised dance routine to S.O.S.
Old 04-04-2014, 17:35
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
Yep, poor Louise and Nic got hit/kicked

James sprayed me in the face.
ouch.

was James claiming you as his?
Old 04-04-2014, 23:07
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
ouch.

was James claiming you as his?
Too far?

If not, I'd like to hear more............

"Life is a farce in which all must perform" ~ Arthur Rimbaud

Facebook

Twitter
Old 05-04-2014, 10:23
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
For those that worry about JDB's shirt colour, it was the purple one, not black!
Thank you, it had to be said ;-) !
Old 05-04-2014, 19:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
This is what spoiled the gig for me. At one point
I just wanted to turn around and shout ' will you
shut the fuck up, i paid £30 to listen to the band not
you'. If people are going to prattle all the way through a
gig i don't understand why they don't just stay
at home, buy a four pack and put the cd player on.
Totally agree with you there! Unfortunately this type of behaviour at concerts seems to be coming more and more common

Really enjoyed the concert - loved the new Futurology songs and, even though RTF isn't my fave album, I thought the songs sounded good played live. As I'm a big fan of EMG, I absolutely loved hearing Enola/Alone.

I found the crowd round about mostly very civilised (actually quite tame!) but there were three lads determined to push in right in front of us. They moshed along happily to the songs they wanted to hear but kept leaning across shouting in each other's ears at the songs they weren't fussed about. I'd been really looking forward to hearing The Masses and tried to video it but couldn't see or hear a damned thing for their constant yapping and leaning over - very ignorant and annyoing
Old 06-04-2014, 12:53
Bored of being bored

Right, Manics gig number sixteen and the first in Scotland since the PPF gig at the Corn exchange some nine years ago, which I still rate in my top three favourite Manics gigs.

For a change I attempted to stay spoiler free, but unfortunately found out the following prior to the gig:

- A mate text me from the Leeds gig saying that faster was surely the best way to open a gig
- I saw a tweet saying that Archives of Pain was being played
- I accidentally clicked on a link to a set list from one of the gigs, but closed it having conciously absorbed only word, Europa. The return of Miss Europa Disco Dancer was the only logical conclusion!
- The NME reported they were playing a couple of new songs

So, with expectations high I went along. The Twilight Sad were a pretty good opening act. Then the Manics appeared and opened with Show me the Wonder. Whilst it's a song I really enjoy it's not really Faster and hardly got the crowd going. Plus I was at this point stuck behind 'the drunken idiot that couldn't stand still and kept pushing into people'.

A few big songs followed, but the crowd didn't seem to get going and the sound didn't seem to really get going. Stay Beautiful was a nice early semi-surprise, but the early part of the set felt like a bit of a singles by number performance.

The only exception to this was the first new song, which was the afore mentioned Europa song. First thought were that it was a bit Spinal Tapesque, and whilst in the same lyrical oddness that Revol inhabits didn't quite pull it off as well. Possibly not having the lyrics flashing up would have made it work better as a live spectacle.

Die in the Summertime popped up, but seemed to be played slightly too slow. Around this time the sound seemed to improve and Your Love Alone sounded pretty good. The outro to Tolerate keeps getting better and better, and then it was into the acoustic break.

I try to do acoustic covers of This is Yesterday and From Despair to Where, but listening to Bradders perform them made me realise how terrible my versions are. Absolutely breath taking performances.

At this point, I made an estimated guess of how the remainder of the gig would span out, managing to only miss Masses out of my prediction. Whilst not a surprised filled section of the night, the performance was of top quality, and the crowd seemed to finally get going at this point, with You Love Us a particular highlight. The second new song sounded like an improvement on the first. Hopefully it's the standard rather than the highlight of the next album.

Overall a slow starting gig, but picked up pace rapidly at the end. KYE, Lifeblood and JFAPL completely ignored (will we ever get anything off Journals live again?) Could have been an absolutely classic gig, but fell that little bit short.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:09
Knowlede Is Power

Some snaps...

Old 06-04-2014, 18:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Could have been an absolutely classic gig, but fell that little bit short.
Unfortunately for you, it sounds like that classic gig happened the next night in Glasgow!
Old 08-04-2014, 00:38
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Right, Manics gig number sixteen and the first in Scotland since the PPF gig at the Corn exchange some nine years ago, which I still rate in my top three favourite Manics gigs.
Yeah, that gig was brilliant. I seem to recall James making a comment about how mad the crowd was that night. Don't think he'd say the same about Thursday's gig! Maybe playing Edinburgh and Glasgow on the same tour dilutes the audience a bit - if I could only go to one, I'd go to Barrowlands, even if I lived in Edinburgh.

Quote:
A few big songs followed, but the crowd didn't seem to get going and the sound didn't seem to really get going. Stay Beautiful was a nice early semi-surprise, but the early part of the set felt like a bit of a singles by number performance.
Yeah, I was pretty uninspired by the first half of the gig. Show Me The Wonder is a daft choice of set opener, and chuck It's Not War in there too and you've lost half the crowd within the first four songs. It took me until the acoustic segment before I felt like I was starting to enjoy myself a bit.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48
Born to end

Does anyone know what the song played just before 'into the valley' was, think it was a cover (could be wrong!) and went something like 'ohhh ohhh ohh, I've never felt so low'). Been racking my brains and googling for ages, but can't find it anywhere!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2610 View Post
Does anyone know what the song played just before 'into the valley' was, think it was a cover (could be wrong!) and went something like 'ohhh ohhh ohh, I've never felt so low'). Been racking my brains and googling for ages, but can't find it anywhere!
It was Big Country's Chance
Old 08-04-2014, 13:02
Born to end

Quote:
It was Big Country's Chance
Fantastic! thanks for that