Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-05-2016, 02:28
Administrator

Tbf, playing You're Tender and You're Tired and Netwest may as well be bsides, given their rarity.

I'm not convinced Swansea will be that different. I thought it might be but now i reckon it won't. I think the wales song might be resigned to ghost of christmas never played live behaviour too.
Old 15-05-2016, 06:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

Performing Everything Must Go and MUCH more, oh dear.... That second set is pretty dire...., fallen for it again. It'll be my last Manics bash, over a grand from Norway for the same old same old is getting a bit much, be nice to see The Albert Hall.
Old 15-05-2016, 07:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
So they did. Good catch.

I'm excluding special events like forever heavenly though.
They played Sorrow 16 on one of the tours too, possibly the JFPL second set?
Old 15-05-2016, 07:27
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Tbf, playing You're Tender and You're Tired and Netwest may as well be bsides, given their rarity.

I'm not convinced Swansea will be that different. I thought it might be but now i reckon it won't. I think the wales song might be resigned to ghost of christmas never played live behaviour too.
I think they'll play the song at Swansea and I wouldn't be surprised if they get the team involved.
Old 15-05-2016, 08:11
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
They need to be a lot more daring in that second set. I am disappoint. I don't really expect them to vary it per gig, that's not what they do and why i don't see a lot of point going to more than 2 dates, but... it's not war again? Bleh. Same old problem though isn't it: too many singles and not enough b-sides/album tracks. When did they last play a b-side anyway?
So feels like heaven doesnt count?

The 2nd setlist isn't as good as the THB tour but I'll live. I've been waiting 15 years for Removables and Interiors and getting Natwest and hopefully acoustic Tsunami as well will make my month.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 15-05-2016, 13:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Performing Everything Must Go and MUCH more, oh dear.... That second set is pretty dire...., fallen for it again. It'll be my last Manics bash, over a grand from Norway for the same old same old is getting a bit much, be nice to see The Albert Hall.
Why is it over a grand?
Old 15-05-2016, 15:20
Winterlover

I do understand the calls for variety in the setlists, but with some major caveats.

First of all, the band have shown their hand pretty consistently for the past 10 years, and arguably for longer than that. As Takk points out, quite a lot of album tracks might as well be B-sides given the lack of outings they get. The Manics have never really been a band (like Pearl Jam) who routinely play substantially different sets each night.

That said, I'd agree that the band shouldn't really use the word "rarities" when they advertise the gigs if there aren't going to be any. Just say "hits" and have done with it. I couldn't see anything other than a hits set for Everything Must Go myself. It's a big show in arenas, and it's in support of their most well known/loved commercial era, so rarities would always be highly doubtful in a 10 song 2nd set.

While I do empathize with those who are frustrated, I do think the lack of variance in the sets has been obvious for quite a long time. Looking at those stats, there are a great many songs that have been played less than 50 times in a long touring career. Anything below the top 30 and not on the current album being promoted is extremely unlikely to be played.
Old 15-05-2016, 18:35
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I do understand the calls for variety in the setlists, but with some major caveats.

First of all, the band have shown their hand pretty consistently for the past 10 years, and arguably for longer than that. As Takk points out, quite a lot of album tracks might as well be B-sides given the lack of outings they get. The Manics have never really been a band (like Pearl Jam) who routinely play substantially different sets each night.

That said, I'd agree that the band shouldn't really use the word "rarities" when they advertise the gigs if there aren't going to be any. Just say "hits" and have done with it. I couldn't see anything other than a hits set for Everything Must Go myself. It's a big show in arenas, and it's in support of their most well known/loved commercial era, so rarities would always be highly doubtful in a 10 song 2nd set.

While I do empathize with those who are frustrated, I do think the lack of variance in the sets has been obvious for quite a long time. Looking at those stats, there are a great many songs that have been played less than 50 times in a long touring career. Anything below the top 30 and not on the current album being promoted is extremely unlikely to be played.
Pretty much what I tried to say in the Albert Hall thread, but so much more succinctly and eloquently put.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 15-05-2016, 19:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
They played Sorrow 16 on one of the tours too, possibly the JFPL second set?
They did. I must've blocked it from memory because i went to two of those dates and they didn't play it at either but they did at several of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
So feels like heaven doesnt count?
No, i don't think so. I'd be happy if they play it at swansea though, it's one of their better covers. They probably have a better track record of playing covers live if a tour happens to coincide with a release of one but b-sides really are scant. If b-sides are out then i'd be happy with more album tracks, singles are for the casual crowd which is fine but what about us loyalty card members!
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 15-05-2016, 20:10
Bored out of my mind

Nicky in particular I think views the singles as being of utmost importance and I don't think anything is ever going to change his mindset so might as well accept it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-05-2016, 20:32
Winterlover

Oh i accept it but when has that ever stopped us complaining? I just find i'm less accepting of it than i once was so i deal with it by usually picking 1 date per tour (excluding THB tour). 2 dates at the very maximum, any more than that and it becomes a bit of a chore.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 15-05-2016, 20:56
I live to fall asleep

Our views might be somewhat eschewed on here as by our very nature of being active forummers we are somewhat more intense than the average fan of the band and music, but jesus the 2nd set is dire on many levels.

It's only 10 songs and you get one pointless cover, one random "rarity," and all the hits. Now there is an argument that in a live setting some of the 2nd or 3rd level "hits" are justifiable - YSTS being the obvious one for the bouncing chorus - but its harder to argue It's Not War, Roses, even Walk Me to the Bridge into a 10 song set. Or at the very least playing the exact same songs every night. Surely they could have the holy quartet of ME, YLA, YLU, Tolerate, and then rotate the others?

To me it just smacks of laziness rather than them believing these are the songs that need to be played or people, even the casual 90s fans, want to hear. Plus knowing that the hardcore will be at multiple dates I just think its a bit cheap from the band.

I'm glad I didn't fork out this time. Playing full albums is only justifiable for albums that are complete pieces of work - such as THB or JFPL - not for albums that had 4 top 10 singles or whatever.
Old 15-05-2016, 22:44
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I'd be happy with Walk Me To The Bridge played 23 times! It's a bit of a monster live.
But has anyone noticed how EMG live seems to be faster than THB live?
Old 15-05-2016, 23:06
Administrator

Most of the hits are what people want to hear and those are what get the crowd going. That's the facts....and we've had a full album to begin with...i think it's pretty good.
Old 16-05-2016, 14:14
Freed from the century

I managed to squeeze 3 seconds of Starlover out of James. I'd class that as a rarity.