Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 18:14
I live to fall asleep

The Holy Bible
Everything Must Go
Lifeblood
Futurology
Journal for Plague Lovers
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against the Soul
Know Your Enemy
Send Away the Tigers
Rewind the Film
Postcards from a Young Man
This is My Truth
Resistance is Futile
Old 11-02-2019, 12:31
Winterlover

After the 10 year anniversary edish, my feeling on SATT is that it served a purpose at the time - well! - but has aged surprisingly badly, FAST. It was the first album I was around for the full build-up to/release of as a fan, I had mad fun on the tours, a lot of good came out of that era, so I’ll always look upon it fondly. But the album is definitely Of Its Time for me.
Old 11-02-2019, 16:36
Banned

SATT's a funny one, for me. I've been a fan since the mid 90s, but SATT came out at around the same time I was nursing my terminally ill mother. My head just wasn't in the right frame for anything the Manics (or any other band) were up to. I bought it, just didn't listen to it that much and had no real opinion of it. It just passed me by.

I still rarely listen to it now and I thought it might be because it reminded me of a difficult time. But nah ... I just don't like it very much.
Old 11-02-2019, 18:09
Bored of being bored

I love SATT. It’s a big, melodic, anthemic album but for me it works perfectly, unlike with PFAYM. I’m not too keen on Your Love Alone but aside from that it’s an album I really enjoy and can’t quite understand the hate it sometimes gets.
Old 11-02-2019, 23:49
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I've recovered from the poll rankings to say Resistance Is Futile will age better than SATT and PFAYM!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

When SATT came out I was right in the middle of a big new wave and post-punk era in my life, so it was just about the last Manics album I wanted (especially after loving Lifeblood and with Nicky's "the next one will be even more electronic" quote still ricocheting around my head). I was obsessively listening to Wire and Tears for Fears, so songs like 'Your Love Alone' and Guns'n'Roses homages put me off immediately (it took until Futurology to respark my interest in the band).

SATT's biggest fault, opinions on tracks aside, is that it's a bit Manics-by-numbers. For the first time in their career they weren't really trying anything new, but going for a safer option. After three albums that left them disappointed in their own work in one way or another, it kind of makes sense, and it was the start of three albums that tried to recapture elements of the past. For better or worse, they evidently needed that period - and the boost in confidence that came from the critical acclaim all three albums got - because it allowed them to come back and do some much less typically-Manicsy albums afterwards and regain the momentum they were making originally.
Old 13-02-2019, 12:19

I've always rather liked SATT although it's a bit one dimensional. It needed an acoustic guitar song or something to break it up a bit.
Old 13-02-2019, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
The Holy Bible
Everything Must Go
Lifeblood
Futurology
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against the Soul
Know Your Enemy
Send Away the Tigers
Rewind the Film
This is My Truth
Resistance is Futile
The order in the middle is open to debate but the top two and bottom two are right on the money for me.
Old 13-02-2019, 21:56
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
The order in the middle is open to debate but the top two and bottom two are right on the money for me.
I hadn't been on the forum for a while so no idea how Resistance is Futile went down with the fanbase. Prior to its release, I didn't think I'd put anything behind Truth, though a part of me hopes that I've just been in a bad mood and will eventually warm to something on it.
Old 26-02-2019, 14:40
Winterlover

The Holy Bible
Everything Must Go
Gold Against the Soul
Generation Terrorists

Lifeblood
This is My Truth Tell Me Yours (CD2 20th Anniv., the original album behind Futurology)
Futurology (without the first song)

silence

Know Your Enemy
Send Away the Tigers

Rewind the Film
Resistance is Futile

the collection of (all) b-sides (without Picturesque) would be between EMG and GATS
Old 27-02-2019, 09:42
Born to end

1. The Holy Bible
  2. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
  3. Send Away The Tigers
  4. Everything Must Go
  5. Generation Terrorists
  6. Rewind the Film
  7. Gold Against the Soul
  8. Lifeblood
  9. Futurology
  10. Know Your Enemy
  11. Journal for Plague Lovers
  12. Postcards from a Young Man
  13. Resistance Is Futile
Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It's transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It's uplifting, it's encouraging, it's strengthening. - Aretha Franklin | MusicInDepth
Old 27-02-2019, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Finally bought myself a SATT 10th Anniversary Edition and have reassessed it slightly. It's still a weak Manics album, but there are songs on there I like. Now with Underdogs fucked off, I find the first seven tracks perfectly enjoyable. The title track and Indian Summer are the only two which I'd say I'd miss if the album were erased from history, but it no longer actually annoys me. I'll have to see if the same is true for GATS and PFAYM soon.
PFAYM has definitely grown. It's still overstuffed in places, too samey, and has a couple of unlistenably awful songs, but I actually found myself enjoying quite a bit of it on recent replays.

GATS, less so, the singles aside.