Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 18:51
Banned

Was that some BS about Sean's schooling? I'd heard that was inaccurate and, if it is, also deeply hurtful.

EDIT: Someone just said the book's been delayed yet again. Now it's early March, according to an email from Amazon.

Last edited by Velocitygirl; 07-02-2019 at 18:55.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
Oh, I hadn’t heard that. Could you elaborate?
I'll respectfully decline to go into details, but everything you probably think you know about Sean's childhood and family is wrong.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:17
Builder of routine

Delayed again ? Have we chucked many spanners into the works?
Old 07-02-2019, 19:27
Doors slowly closing

Not to make light of the situation, but it would be deeply ironic if the book was (ahem) delayed forever.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 07-02-2019, 19:29
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Not to make light of the situation, but it would be deeply ironic if the book was (ahem) delayed forever.
Before it had the chance to be withdrawn
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 07-02-2019, 19:34
Banned

I see what you guys did thar!

Seriously, though, if the latest Amazon email is right this is getting quite daft.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:36
Stretched out in the sun

From a 2016 Music Radar interview with Sean regarding the band’s approach to Richey’s future involvement with the band:

Had Richey’s contribution become less over the course of those first three albums?

“No, I don’t think so, it was still lyrics and cheekbones. He didn’t really contribute that much in the studio, but he never pretended he was a guitarist, so his job was all about image and the artwork of the albums, the press releases and those sorts of things. Only post-Priory...we tried to give him the space, we didn’t put any pressure on him, but he felt he needed to be part of the band live.

“We said just come along if you want and sit on the bus, or just write lyrics and be inspired by that.
We did two tours, one with Suede, one with Therapy? and i think it was difficult for him but he wanted to do it. So we were weary but we were aware. It was never a problem.”

Last edited by Mr Richey; 07-02-2019 at 22:10.
Old 07-02-2019, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
I'll respectfully decline to go into details, but everything you probably think you know about Sean's childhood and family is wrong.
I don’t think I know much, other than that he lived with James and his family for a time.
Old 07-02-2019, 20:37
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
I don’t think I know much, other than that he lived with James and his family for a time.
its probably to do with how that came about which in Everything, sounded kind of shitty. So if it wasn't true, I imagine there's some hurt feelings....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 07-02-2019, 20:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
its probably to do with how that came about which in Everything, sounded kind of shitty. So if it wasn't true, I imagine there's some hurt feelings....
I thought he was living with James to spare him the upheaval of his parents splitting up? Don't want to read that chapter again just for that glaring Birthday error. Had no idea at the time it was wrong.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:04
Banned

I lost my copy of "Everything" during a house move, a few years ago. I can't remember much of what was said about Sean, tbh. Or any of the others, for that matter.

But, on the whole, that book came from a place of decency (I believe). I don't think Price had malicious intent. Unlike certain other biographers currently doing the rounds.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:27

I notice the price dropped to £14 on amazon. Must be needing a lot less pages than intended.

For years I've slagged off the book by Price, mostly because he rubs me up the wrong way. I flicked through it again a couple of days ago because of this thread. Now I'm thinking that despite errors and his X years of dining out on being the "Manic's biographer", and Other Things, it shows how much better biogs are when the author actually knew the person/people, even only in the way Price knew them.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
EDIT: Shadows and Words, Nicky says he’d had Richey’s lyrics in a bedroom cupboard since they were given to him (at the last rehearsals with the little gifts and things, as mentioned in the Close Up doc), and that James and Sean had facsimile copies. But SHR seems to think they nicked them from his flat or something. Stay tuned for more from Sofa Revisits!
I was always under the impression that the Bugs Bunny/Opulence binder was given to Nicky and James and Sean got the photocopies. Perhaps Nicky gave it to his parents after his disappearance to either help aid in the investigation or for sentimental reasons or both. Either way, I'm fairly certain the original was given to the band by Richey himself. In that interview (and she's alluded to it on here as well), SHR makes it sound like they used those lyrics when they had no business doing so. All this despite Mr Edwards giving the band permission to use them on JFPL and then there's also Richey's actions, as well as his own words, that clearly indicates that he fully expected most of the contents of that binder, if not all, to be used on an album.

Btw, I forgot to answer you about my source for Richey telling Simon Price that Jo was the only person he slept with in 1993...I believe that came for the Rob Jovanovic book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurologist View Post
Not knowing Richey's frame of mind when he disappeared, but his disordered frame of mind, if it was that, may have rationalized not leaving anything for his family as a kindness. It's only in hindsight, I think, that his long disappearance appears cruel. Maybe when he left, he didn't expect to disappear, or planned it.

Also, hai everyone, it's been over a year. Be kind.
You're absolutely right! Maybe he thought that he'd eventually come back (if he merely just started a new life) or his body would be found (if he took his life) so he didn't need to leave them anything. Or maybe, as you suggest, he thought not knowing would better for them. I just think it's sad that his family has had to live in limbo for all these years and then for both his parents to have passed without knowing what happened to him. It's just so heartbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
For his sister and these authors to imply that the band have been less than truthful in their statements, would thus imply they told falsehoods to the police. Now that is serious, it is also possibly libellous. If any redactions have been made to the book (or interviews removed), as has been suggested, then I'm wondering are they relating to this?
Exactly! I wonder if that's actually the case? I'd also like to add that there seems to be accusations surrounding the use of the Opulence binder lyrics and I'm wondering if this may be one of the issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
So, that GIITT interview's been taken down and the book is once more delayed (until the 28th February). Sorry, but they cannot pass this off as just a minor "editing issue". In fact, I seriously hope it's because the band and their management are standing up for themselves and taking the authors to the cleaner's.
There is definitely something going on with the contents of this book and I think someone's lawyers may have had an issue with something said in that interview which caused them to pull it. Per my above query, I think it has something to do with what she said about the Bugs Bunny/Opulence binder. Obviously I'm just guessing and have absolutely no real insight into any of this. It's all just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I think some of what has been said is speculating about a book based on interviews
Very true. I think a lot of the animosity stems from SHR coming on here and flaming the band and fans alike. It's one thing to have an opinion whether it's popular or not, but it's another thing entirely to actively troll just for the sake of it (or maybe attention). I've known who she was IRL for a while and as such, I've tried to steer clear of her on social media, but when I saw her name attached to this project, to say I was disappointed is an understatement. Perhaps she has been a comfort to Rachel over the years, but the sad truth of the matter is, would she care about her at all if the brother she lost was a regular guy or a lost, tortured artist who looked like Joey Ramone?

Quote:
Hopefully Simon Price will update Everything, I know some here don’t like him, but his book was warm and sincere, if not 100% true!
It's pretty crummy that the best bio on the band is loaded with inaccuracies. I'm personally not the biggest fan of Price, but you'd think given his history with the band that he would have done a better job researching that book then he did. I wasn't aware about the furor over what was written about Sean though.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 07-02-2019 at 21:53.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:53
Knowlede Is Power

Didn't mind Simon Price's book. I think at times he is a bit of a wally and he is lucky that he seems to have pretty much made a career out of the Manics but I don't think he meant any offence in anything he put in the book.
He got some stuff wrong and I can live with that.

This new book needs to be stopped to be honest. It's unnecessary and SHR has failed on all levels.
It's not gonna reclaim Richey and its not led to finding out what happened. So really what's the point?

Yeah it could raise awareness but it's also giving fuel to pathetic conspiracy theorists and crap opinions that I'm pretty sure will do more harm than good to any future investigations.
SHR seems to revel in these stupid rumours as if they are a badge of honour because they were told to her!
I get that for the sake of being complete some of the stories are worth touching on but they should also then be instantly dismissed and ridiculed. Maybe in the book they are? But let's face it they won't be.
And she's been using them to promote it so straight away she loses credibility for not laughing at the more outrageous ones.

I keep checking here to see if it's been canceled

Last edited by beautifuldistortion; 07-02-2019 at 21:58.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:54
Winterlover

This thread is flipping great. Kudos to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
I was always under the impression that the Bugs Bunny/Opulence binder was given to Nicky and James and Sean got the photocopies. Perhaps Nicky gave it to his parents after his disappearance to either help aid in the investigation or for sentimental reasons or both. Either way, I'm fairly certain the original was given to the band by Richey himself. In that interview (and she's alluded to it on here as well), SHR makes it sound like they used those lyrics when they had no business doing so. All this despite Mr Edwards giving the band permission to use them on JFPL and then there's also Richey's actions, as well as his own words, that clearly indicates that he fully expected most of the contents of that binder, if not all, to be used on an album.

Btw, I forgot to answer you about my source for Richey telling Simon Price that Jo was the only person he slept with in 1993...I believe that came for the Rob Jovanovic book.
Exactly. It’s all repeatedly detailed and makes obvious sense. As you say, maybe Nicky gave it to the family at some point and it was then returned, and this is the basic of SHR’s twisting. I don’t get it, if she wants to make stuff up so bad, there’s such scope of things we don’t, couldn’t know, would have no way of checking or questioning. But she keeps going for shit you can counteract in one Google search. I don’t doubt there are more lies in what is unchallengeable, therefore...

Thanks! I should probably actually get around to reading that, especially on my current Manix full steam. Although do I need confusing even further right now?!