Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-10-2009, 12:32
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeToDeath View Post
was masses the first UK number one of the millenium or have i just imagined that?
I'm sure it was but because the cheapskates didn't make a proper video for it, it gets overlooked on those "Vh1 Number One Videos of the Decade" type shows.
Old 18-10-2009, 12:54
Stretched out in the sun

I always took "Success is an ugly word/Especially in your tiny world" to be a swipe at critics. Too many people and critics turn their backs on bands once they get popular. Overall, I see the song same way I see Everything Must Go. Get the impression with these songs, they kinda felt like they had to justify carrying on.
Old 18-10-2009, 13:01
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmanics View Post
I think it was certainly the first new number one of the millenium, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Aye on 16 January.
Old 18-10-2009, 16:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
but still made it quite an accessible song so clearly wanted success still.
I still reckon it's one of the hardest songs ever to get to no.1, more of an achievement than Tolerate in a way...
Does anyone know if the performance of Masses at Manic Millenium was used in lieu of a video at the time? Had completely lost interest in Manics round then but have a vague memory of seeing some sort of MSP live 'video' on a chart show in early 2000.
Old 18-10-2009, 16:45
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
I still reckon it's one of the hardest songs ever to get to no.1, more of an achievement than Tolerate in a way...
Does anyone know if the performance of Masses at Manic Millenium was used in lieu of a video at the time? Had completely lost interest in Manics round then but have a vague memory of seeing some sort of MSP live 'video' on a chart show in early 2000.
Yeah, they used Millenium footage for that song, complete with fairground organ! How much would it have cost to have dubbed the actual single on?
Old 18-10-2009, 19:17
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
complete with fairground organ!
Just had a vision of Naysmyth with some hat on, playing his organ next to ferris wheel, with a hat on, sweating, and turning to the camera with a big grin and winking.
Old 18-10-2009, 20:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

i remember loving this song when it came out ( i also loved so why so sad ) , but now not so much , still has a great chorus though.

one of my many manics hating friends still maintains it's there only good song
Old 18-10-2009, 20:13
Bored of being bored

I think it's simply aimed at Richey-era fans who lost interest in the band due to the sound and success of TIMTTMY and even EMG. I used to love it, but it sounds a bit forced to me nowadays.
Old 19-10-2009, 12:24
Doors slowly closing

I still love this song. I was into the manics more than anything else at the time and it was just what I was hoping for. It was the first real number one of this century. The bloody Cliff Richard Millenium Prayer was number 1 on the last week of 99 and first week of 2000, i think. Officially I don't think it had a video at all. TOTP just used footage from the millenium gig. It was the first number one without a video in a few decades I think

I have fond memories of going to get that single. Myself and my buddy walked into town and waited till they put it on the shelves. I didn't want to miss out of the numbered vinyl. The b-side close my eyes is very good too.

I'm not sure what it's about but I think maybe the band were just fed up of how they were precieved by the media and old/new fans etc. Nicky around this time stopped wearing rugby shirts and started to look cool again. V99 was a turning point I think. The American tour that followed was pretty raw and intense too.
Old 19-10-2009, 16:30
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
I'm not sure what it's about but I think maybe the band were just fed up of how they were precieved by the media and old/new fans etc. Nicky around this time stopped wearing rugby shirts and started to look cool again. V99 was a turning point I think. The American tour that followed was pretty raw and intense too.
I think it's a great thing that they hit back at the media with actions rather than just words and made masses. It's a powerful tune and it lead into an equally successful but more exciting era than before. I love Truth but there wasn't much else to it except the songs.
Old 21-11-2009, 22:20
Builder of routine

I'm reading Chomsky now "Hegemony or Survival" and he's somehow reusing this phrase about protecting from the majority and he wrote there that firstly said that James Madison, he meant that president of the USA, right?

just a thought...
Old 21-11-2009, 22:34
Stretched out in the sun

This is going to sound arsey, but it's my honest opinion; the lyrics really don't have any coherence in what they're trying to achieve, it was just angry words and phrases strung together. I don't believe the track is having a go at anyone specific, it's so scattershot it's having a go at everyone, and at the same time making no logical or even slightly illogical sense!

That's fine though, because the music and delivery of said lines is AMAZING. Superb single!

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 21-11-2009, 22:40
I live to fall asleep

It reminds me of a really angry person just using illogical phrases and arguments just to belittle whoever else they're having a go at.
No it doesnt make sense, but when do arguements ever?

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 21-11-2009, 22:47
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafetti View Post
No it doesnt make sense, but when do arguements ever?
When you're blind drunk!

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 21-11-2009, 22:54
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
When you're blind drunk!
touché

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple