Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-08-2009, 15:35
Doors slowly closing

I finished it a couple of days ago.

I think as fan it's going to be easy to pick holes here and there. You can't expect a professional journalist to write about somebody/something in the same way that a fan would obviously.

I think he's fair to Richey, although some of his opinions and descriptions of South Wales life/culture are a bit cliched. Everything is still the best book about the Manics, but I think Rob's done a fairly good job with this one and even if he doesn't really say very much that hasn't been said before, it's engaging and fairly well written and didn't, for me at least, come across as being insensitive or anything to Richey, his family or the rest of the band.
Old 22-11-2009, 05:14
Bored of being bored

It looks like this book is coming out in paperback in February 2010 (in the UK) and in May 2010 (in the US).

"Doubts are crueler than the worst of truths"

Toronto, Canada - September 11, 1999 / London, England - April 18, 2005 / London, England - April 19, 2005 / Toronto, Canada - October 4, 2009 / Philadelphia, PA, USA - October 6, 2009

Last edited by richeysite; 22-11-2009 at 05:34.
Old 22-11-2009, 12:40
Builder of routine

i still need to read this..totally forgot about it
Old 22-11-2009, 13:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

it's bad, hilariously bad

he thinks we're all as square as he is, wondering what fans made of the Ginsberg intro tape with refernc3es to blowing sailors and being fucked up the ass. HELLO??? Some of us do actually like bum sex, you twat.

oh, and he identifies the whole 'Richey was in love with his childhood..maybe too much'.... and then drops it. Because sticking with it might have menat having to study the psychology in depth, rather than rummaging through the music press or plaigarising whole sections of 'Everything'.

it's shit.
Old 22-11-2009, 13:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soft_machine View Post
it's bad, hilariously bad

he thinks we're all as square as he is, wondering what fans made of the Ginsberg intro tape with refernc3es to blowing sailors and being fucked up the ass. HELLO??? Some of us do actually like bum sex, you twat.

oh, and he identifies the whole 'Richey was in love with his childhood..maybe too much'.... and then drops it. Because sticking with it might have menat having to study the psychology in depth, rather than rummaging through the music press or plaigarising whole sections of 'Everything'.

it's shit.
aaaaaaaaaand this post reminds me why i've been putting it off
Old 25-11-2009, 17:22

I read this a couple of weeks ago and it's what you'd expect. Basically, none of the band members are going to give interviews for the book. Nobody from the band's inner circle (Graham, Sherry and Rachel, Hall or Nothing, Sony, producers, twats like Simon Price) are going to give interviews for the book. All this leaves is people who were once close enough to have a microscopic bit of insight (ex-school friends, etc) and all the interviews and press from 1990 onwards. There is also the option of trying to get as much out the Police with regard to the initial investigation of Richey's disappearnce and the current state of play in the case, which Jovanovic explores.

With this in mind the book itself isn't too bad. There isn't much new in it and there's nothing that the likes of us lot won't already know. The nature of Richey and his disappearance means that the option of theorising and speculating is always a strong temptation. I wish this book didn't rely so heavily on it at times but I think I can understand why it does. This book isn't perfect but I think it'll do for now.
Old 25-11-2009, 17:57
Winterlover

Jimbojambo, I agree. Despite several attempts to gain insight from various sources, Jovanovic was continually shut out, even by the police. I'm not insuating that these people should have provided him with information, on the contrary, they all had every right to not participate for whatever reason, I just think that Jovanivic did a pretty decent job considering he had very little to work with.
Old 28-11-2009, 12:29
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I read it last week and just thought it was horribly average. Didn't learn anything new & could obviously tell which websites he'd been on to read old press articles on the band. When he posted on here, I sent him a link to the 92/93 manifestos that Richey wrote... lo and behold they're in there and those were one of the few rare things in there, apart from the interviews with Steve Gatehouse. The lack of effort to do anything original or interesting was pretty shameful.

Just a massive, uninspired and lazy cash in with a couple of 'revelations' about how Richey might have had some help from someone else when he vanished...... *sigh*.

I've read a couple of his other books and they're along the same lines - cobbled together from previously published interviews, the guy just earns a living from writing really average books. No surprise really.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:54
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojambo View Post
twats like Simon Price
That twat's book is ten years out of date now but is still far more relevant than the Jovanovic one.
Margate 22-09-98 Wembley 16-12-98 Cardiff 31-12-99 Brixton Academy 30-03-01 Wembley 07-12-02 Brixton 08-12-02 Wembley 09-12-04 Hammersmith 18-04-05 Hammersmith 19-04-05 Kentish Town 29-05-07 Astoria 30-05-07 Shepherd’s Bush 31-05-07 Brighton 06-06-07 Cardiff 06-12-07 Brixton11-12-07 Brixton 12-12-07 Brighton 14-12-07 O2 Arena 28-02-08 Royal Festival Hall 12-09-08 Camden 28-05-09 Camden 29-05-09 Camden 30-05-09 Brighton 02-06-09 Kentish Town 08-06-09 Southend 20-10-10 Bournemouth 22-10-10 Brixton 15-12-10 Brixton 21-01-11 Brixton 22-01-11 Hard Rock Cafe 02-02-11 Wolverhampton 19-05-11 O2 Arena 17-12-11 Shepherd's Bush 24-09-13 Cardiff 29-03-14 Wolverhampton 06-04-14 Brighton 09-04-14 Brixton 11-04-14 Brixton 12-04-14 Rough Trade East 08-07-14 London Olympia 14-09-14
Old 25-12-2009, 22:28
Born to end

I finally bought the book a couple of weeks ago (tried to get a review copy from the publishers to review in Black Velvet in the Summer but didn't hear anything back, so eventually ended up buying a second hand cheap copy the other week) and just read it today.

I thought it was an ok book - like everyone says there's nothing new. The second part (Book 2) I found a lot more interesting than the first half. I can understand why the band, family etc didn't want to be involved - on the other hand, I wonder if they did and Richey was around and heard about it, if he'd check it out (probably just wishful thinking of my part I guess). I'd have been inclined to have written something specially FOR Richey at the end - to try and get him to contact him folks etc. Probably wouldn't do any good, but at the end of the book I found myself still hoping he's out there and wishing he did let people know he was ok.

I've read way worse books, with lots more typos in - I thought this one was pretty well written for an unauthorised biog. More for someone with a casual interest in the band than a big fan though.
www.myspace.com/blackvelvetmagazine
Old 25-12-2009, 23:31

Just got this book for Christmas. I haven't read a lot of Manics books, the only ones I have are Everything and the Mitch Ikeda photography book, but I'm hoping this will be a good read!
Old 31-03-2010, 15:26

i didnt realise it had been out so long. i've not seen it about in any shops. i'll amazon it up later today. i imagine i will have mixed feeling once i have read it.

Quote:
For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expected me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans, and account for every drop of used motor oil. And I have to foot the bill for nuclear waste and burned gasoline tanks and landfilled toxic sludge dumped a generation before I was born.
Old 31-03-2010, 16:37

£6.12 on amazon, bought.
just bought 2 bottles of wine for £7 too
bargin!

Quote:
For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expected me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans, and account for every drop of used motor oil. And I have to foot the bill for nuclear waste and burned gasoline tanks and landfilled toxic sludge dumped a generation before I was born.