Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 21:00
I live to fall asleep

Worst Manics Gig?

If this question has been asked before, then i apologise.
I'm curious as to find out whether there have been some really bad performances, and why they were so bad?

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 11-11-2009, 21:09
Mr Msppedia

Worst and definitively worst for me was the Manchester MEN gig on the Lifeblood tour. One of the mods on the official forum had spread a rumour that it had been cancelled in the morning (believable as Cardiff and Glasgow had been cancelled days before) that turned out to be untrue, I was flu ridden, wanted to go home for Christmas from uni and the performance was just completely lacklustre.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:17
Knowlede Is Power

Well, not a Manics gig as such as I don't think I've ever been to a bad one. But driving all the way to Cardiff back in 2004 only to find out once we rocked up that it had been cancelled was a bit of a pain... still, spent a great night in 'spoons after that
Old 11-11-2009, 21:18
Winterlover

Llandudno this year was hell - if it wasn't for the fact that I was at the barrier and therefore it was impossible to leave, I would have left, as Nicky was so clearly in complete agony and it was horrible to watch. James, bless him, was doing his very best to stop everything falling apart, but I really wouldn't have blamed them if they had stopped the gig half-way through.

Newcastle Academy and Manchester Central, both in 2007, and Oxegen festival this year were also pretty crap gigs. But at least the bad gigs make you appreciate the good ones more.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:21
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
The gig at Plymouth Pavilions during the Lifeblood tour is my least favourite (I can't say "worst" because I've enjoyed every gig), but only because we were up in the seats and the atmosphere around us was utterly dead.

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 11-11-2009, 21:22
Under neon loneliness

Llandudno this year was my worst, for the same reason as Nicola. I moved to the side so I couldn't see him. I know I'm daft for getting so upset about it, but it really broke my heart to see him like that.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:24
Doors slowly closing

Ditto Llandudno. It was really upsetting to see Wire in so much pain I was just willing them to stop and go home. Also I got punched in the face. Second worst was MEN Arena 2004. Just totally rubbish.
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 11-11-2009, 21:28
Bored out of my mind

I've enjoyed all of my Manics gig experiences so far (the annoying bloke at Birmingham NIA 2007 trying to nick mine and this other girls place aside!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-11-2009, 21:28
Footprint of history

Some of the gigs for the TIMT were pretty dire, the songs were a bit boring live and they just seemed to go throught the motions with no passion.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:31
Bored out of my mind

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-11-2009, 21:33
Doors slowly closing

Wolverhampton JFPL tour. No fault of the Manics as the gig was great, but spending half of the set being beaten-up by a cunt of a guy about twice the size of us was both painful and very distressing.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:33
HBIC

Scala gig 12th September, 2001 - the day after the destruction of the World Trade Center. London was heaving with police, it was a very strange atmosphere in the city and later, in the crowd. Having so recently slagged off the USA as 'the devil's playground' everyone knew that the music press would LOVE Nicky to come out with something they could report. The band were unsettled.

"The Statue of Liberty looks so solemn on the TV" had never sounded so poignant.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:36
Stretched out in the sun

Haha, great that the only Manics gig I've ever attended was apparently one of the worst.

Yeah, Llandudno was pretty horrible. Seeing Wire in such agony really just wanted to make me cry, bless him.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:37
Stretched out in the sun

I seem to remember thinking there was a disproportionate number of twats at the Glasgow SECC 2005 gig.. Can't fault the band, like. As a couple of people have mentioned, Llandudno was a weird one this year. Just weird not seeing Nicky jumping about like an idiot. Hats off to James though, he was on top form.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:39
Bored out of my mind

Funny that most of the worst gigs are related to the behaviour of a few mindless idiots rather than the performance of the band itself!