Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-11-2009, 17:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

Nottingham2004(poor Australia) or Birmingham/Manchester 2004(poor James)
Old 19-11-2009, 18:00
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bloo_ View Post
Glasgow - on the tour that Ian Brown supported. 2 of his fans started a fight with manics fas in the crowd right behind me - dragging a girl to the floor by her hair. The guy then started on me and god knows how but I managed to get him to fuck off - but not before he'd dropped his silly little round Lennon sunglasses and i'd - unknown to him - had a damn good stomp on them. Ended up with a really horrific view of the gig after having to escape more Brown fan idiots as the Manics came on. Grr!
I hate a group of twatish lads infront of me at The Big Gig, they took offense to the fact I was wearing eyeliner and proceded to make homophobic comments. Only later to ask to borrow it so they could assault each other with it. They also proceded to beat each other up during different intervals of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Cardiff 2004 - queued all day, only for the gig to be postponed, due to James being ill.

I'm glad I didn't make it to Machester 04 and Liverpool 05, as I've been told by various people who went how bad those shows were.
Ruddy hell that seems so long ago, wierd. I never made it to Brum in 2004 because a Virgin train pulled all the live wires down along the track, stranding me in Nuneaton as the show was about to kick off. I decided to head home again as there was no gaurantee I would get there or even back, or even that James had recovered from flu. He did......
Old 19-11-2009, 18:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
In fairness it's not their duty to do that, it's a bonus. I wouldn't consider whether they do stage door or not as criteria for a bad gig. Though the gig itself might have been rubbish, I don't know.
Yes, I know.
I think it was just I'd read it somewhere and that was one of the points picked up on
I could be making it up, who knows, I'm that kind of crazy guy

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 19-11-2009, 18:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bloo_ View Post
Glasgow - on the tour that Ian Brown supported. 2 of his fans started a fight with manics fas in the crowd right behind me - dragging a girl to the floor by her hair. The guy then started on me and god knows how but I managed to get him to fuck off - but not before he'd dropped his silly little round Lennon sunglasses and i'd - unknown to him - had a damn good stomp on them. Ended up with a really horrific view of the gig after having to escape more Brown fan idiots as the Manics came on. Grr!
Poor Bloo!
That sounds horrible. Wasn't there anybody to save You? I wish I were there with You...
Old 19-11-2009, 18:45
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafetti View Post
Wasn't there a pretty bad one in Newcastle, where afterwards they just went home, didn't see the fans or anything?
I think you're talking about this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhyland View Post
I was speaking to James (Aberdeen 2007)about the Newcastle Acad. gig on the SATT May/June Tour. Usually they go down so well up there, but that night there was a lot of noise coming from the back during his acoustic slot,people talking on their mobiles etc,but what pissed them off that night was the lighting!! He did try to get it turned down a couple of times during their set but to no avail.He said it was really irritating,so maybe when they go back to Newcastle it will be the City Hall next time.
...and yeah it was pretty bad, dreadful crowd, everyone was kinda grumpy/angry. Though not bad enough to make my bottom ten. They just left the venue as soon as humanly possible as we saw the tour bus speeding up the road whilst we were leaving. I think it got mentionned for the bothering as it was the only gig that tour that they didn't come out after apart from Wolves when they had to get somewhere and they even said sorry onstage where as this was more its dreadful lets get the hell away.

The gig the night before Newcastle was probably the best one of that whole 23 date tour though - they just went from one extreme to the other. (Except in the end Newcastle probably wasn't the worst of that tour depending on how you look at, it was kinda angry and I'd generally go with angry over dull - which say Shepherds Bush or Southampton were).
Old 19-11-2009, 19:13
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I
...and yeah it was pretty bad, dreadful crowd, everyone was kinda grumpy/angry. Though not bad enough to make my bottom ten. They just left the venue as soon as humanly possible as we saw the tour bus speeding up the road whilst we were leaving. I think it got mentionned for the bothering as it was the only gig that tour that they didn't come out after apart from Wolves when they had to get somewhere and they even said sorry onstage where as this was more its dreadful lets get the hell away.
My main memory about Newcastle is that in an attempt to save money I had bought the cheapest train ticket I could buy, which was for the 12.30 train. Turns out that Newcastle station is shut between 11 and 12.15. Which would have been okay if the gig had been good, and there was bothering afterwards as that would have wasted some time and I would have been in a good mood at least, but it turns out that waiting for an hour in the cold is really boring (luckily Sam looked after me). I think part of my problem with Newcastle is that it was the first properly disappointing Manics gig I had been to, as before then I'd mainly just seen them at solo gigs when everything was lovely and althoughI never saw it as the band's duty (or at least, ried not), I had kinda got used to taking bothering etc. for granted.
Old 19-11-2009, 19:43
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
If non-gigs count, I'm going to nominate Manchester, Know Your Enemy tour, 2001.

It was meant to be my first Manics gig. I was 18 at the time (if I remember rightly) and incredibly excited. I got to the train station (dressed in a Manics t-shirt, tight white jeans, tiara and feather boa) to get a train to Manchester where I was to head straight for the gig with some friends.

The train had been cancelled and the staff said there might be a replacement train to Plymouth and then I'd have to find someone and ask whether I could use my ticket to get a train from there, but that it might not be possible.

I'd never travelled that far alone and their uncertainty made me so nervous that I got all upset and burst into tears. By the time I went to ask about train times again, it was too late; I'd have gotten there after the gig started, with nobody to meet me at the station etc.

So I had to get a lift from Bodmin Parkway and I sobbed most of the way home.

All of which goes to explain why I was so utterly ecstatic when I finally saw them on the Forever Delayed tour!

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 19-11-2009, 22:32
Bored out of my mind

Aaaaaaw! Emma! Glad you got back safe in the end!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-11-2009, 01:42

Are the 'traditional' bad gigs like Bon Jovi support in 1993, the Knebworth gigs, the first TIMTTMY tour and the Glastonbury 1999 gigs that bad? For instance, I have a bootleg of the second Bon Jovi gig and it sound pretty rocking to me.
Old 20-11-2009, 13:23
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Aaaaaaw! Emma! Glad you got back safe in the end!
Thanks hun. I was so sad (in both senses) that I waited til the time that the gig was due to start, then I watched Everything Live and imagined what it would be like to be there.

One of the people I was meant to go with rang me the next night and told me they were rubbish anyway, but I think he was just trying to make me feel better.

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 23-11-2009, 20:34
Born to end

Cardiff in March '01 was a bit wanky. They were very rusty.
Old 23-11-2009, 20:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Cuba maybe? I still can't believe they didn't do a warm up somewhere in the UK beforehand, it was their first gig since the Millennium!
Old 23-11-2009, 22:51

In response to all the Llandudno comments- I really enjoyed it! Although having come all the way from Sweden to see just that one show of the tour, I wouldn't have let anything stop me enjoying it.

I always watch James the whole time anyway- sorry, but even for the Manics, how boring is it to watch a band's bass-player the whole gig?! (hehe, stirring) - so Nicky being injured was only slightly off-putting, and I got to enjoy a fantastic performance from James magnificently compensating!
Old 24-11-2009, 00:23
Winterlover

Yeah Manchester 2004 was shockingly bad, I had seen them in Brighton on that tour and that was a brilliant night. You don't want to blame them mind but it was one of those I wish they hadn't turned up.
Old 24-11-2009, 00:33
Freed from the century

Newcastle 98. I thought the band/crowd were dead.