Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-11-2009, 09:23
Born to end

Are the Manics rich?

Listening to Nicky say the North America tour was "25 grand in the hole, easy" it gives me the impression they have no money or are extremeley tight! I'm thinking they have sold around 20 million albums, so 25 grand would be very little in comparison. Can anybody tell me how many albums they have sold and also if they live in pokey little flats or huge country estates with electronic gates and tennis courts etc.

Last edited by enslavetheghetto; 15-11-2009 at 09:27.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:30
Doors slowly closing

I'd imagine they made more money in the 90s then they do now - for anyone, having to get by on less than you're accustomed to is difficult!

Could be wrong though.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 15-11-2009, 09:31
Knowlede Is Power

Remember that most of the money we spend on albums doesn't go to their bank accounts
As a musician you probably don't make as much money as people might think, unless you are Bono or Madonna.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:34
I live to fall asleep

Hi there, I would say they are pretty well off. They sold oodles of records in a time before the download age and they've have toured extensively (which is where the money is these days I guess). It's much harder for a working band to get richer now through the strength of record sales alone than it was years ago.

Also, didn't Richey's royalties go into at least a six figure sum that was put in a trust for him should he ever have turned up? So I'd say the boys were pretty well off!
Old 15-11-2009, 09:36
Doors slowly closing

I think Richey's royalties came to just under £500,000 which is not really that much, he would have to get a job in the chippie if he came back now.

Also, poor Nicky had to buy a hat for £1, didn't he? So maybe they're not rolling in it.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:41
A self-made vacuum

convert it to Australian money and the probably are...
Old 15-11-2009, 09:42
I live to fall asleep

Well I certainly wouldn''t sniff at half a million! I could sure make it last awhile!
Old 15-11-2009, 09:50
A self-made vacuum

86 Million Ugandan Dollars...
Old 15-11-2009, 10:10
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslavetheghetto View Post
Can anybody tell me how many albums they have sold and also if they live in pokey little flats or huge country estates with electronic gates and tennis courts etc.

I've never gone to look at their houses but I think its somewhere in between. I get the impression they are comfortably off. EMG and TIMTTMY would have been big earners for them and by the sound of it their biggest earner now is festivals.They have headlined Reading, V, T and Glastonbury over the years so they would have probably earned several hundred thousand for each of those (Glasto pays a bit less). For the most part I don't get the impression they live particularly extravagent lifestyles and not had any drug problems on which to blow their money. But there is always the worry of what happens in 10 years time if they want to take a break. The 'XX Grand' in the hole they lost on the american tour shows that they do care/notice losing money equally they were prepared/able to do so.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:21
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebabyeverything View Post
I've never gone to look at their houses but I think its somewhere in between. I get the impression they are comfortably off. EMG and TIMTTMY would have been big earners for them and by the sound of it their biggest earner now is festivals.They have headlined Reading, V, T and Glastonbury over the years so they would have probably earned several hundred thousand for each of those (Glasto pays a bit less). For the most part I don't get the impression they live particularly extravagent lifestyles and not had any drug problems on which to blow their money. But there is always the worry of what happens in 10 years time if they want to take a break. The 'XX Grand' in the hole they lost on the american tour shows that they do care/notice losing money equally they were prepared/able to do so.
Yeh I agree, they were prepared to spend X amount on the tour of North America because they had not toured here for 10 or so years and were eager to repay the fans which I think is a great sentiment and shows they value their fans dearly. I'm at odds as to how much the fat cats of the music labels must recieve is Richey's piggy bank is 'only' 500 k and it's no surprise some bands e.g. the Futureheads are not using the big labels anymore.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:29
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslavetheghetto View Post
Yeh I agree, they were prepared to spend X amount on the tour of North America because they had not toured here for 10 or so years and were eager to repay the fans which I think is a great sentiment and shows they value their fans dearly. I'm at odds as to how much the fat cats of the music labels must recieve is Richey's piggy bank is 'only' 500 k and it's no surprise some bands e.g. the Futureheads are not using the big labels anymore.
The 500k is only someones guess. Also Richey isn't going to earn nearly as much as the other three as he wasn't on TIMTTMY at all and only partially credited on EMG. If they manics didn't like their record label they wouldn't have resigned recently and had Rob Stringer invited along to their recent US gigs... Record labels aren't saints but they don't screw bands over to the extent some people think.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt.Duck View Post

86 Million Ugandan Dollars...
beat me to it!
Old 15-11-2009, 11:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebabyeverything View Post
The 500k is only someones guess.
The amount was widely reported though, actually, it's even less then I thought I remembered.

From NME:

Quote:
According to reports it is worth £455,990, although that will be reduced to £377,548 after death duties are paid.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:10
Knowlede Is Power

Death duties? what the fuck?
Old 15-11-2009, 11:12
Doors slowly closing

government taxes, legal costs etc...