Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-03-2010, 19:58
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post

btw. does anyone know what happened to the lyrics about cutting balerina's feet (or something like that)?
They didn't use all of Richey's last lyrics for JFPL. I remember Nicky saying the rest would probably never be used for anything.

"Doubts are crueler than the worst of truths"

Toronto, Canada - September 11, 1999 / London, England - April 18, 2005 / London, England - April 19, 2005 / Toronto, Canada - October 4, 2009 / Philadelphia, PA, USA - October 6, 2009
Old 27-03-2010, 21:12
Stretched out in the sun

I still think 'All Is Vanity' is one of the best songs on JFPL and I still think the original lyric 'If you use vanishing cream you need vanishing cream remover at night' is fucking hillarious and was rightly edited out.
Old 27-03-2010, 21:16
Bored out of my mind

And also that line would have been impossible to actually sing anyway!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-03-2010, 21:17
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Exactly! But every time I see that line it makes me laugh my arse off, so if they'd somehow found a way to include it that would've spoiled the song for me.
Old 27-03-2010, 21:58
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
This is James though he can sing anything!
Old 27-03-2010, 22:32
Administrator

What do you mean alleged? This isn't something new, is it? It was in the album sleeve...
Old 27-03-2010, 23:08
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmanics View Post
When I bought the delux JFPL and read William's Last Words in full, I was actually furious. I'll always believe it was deliberately edited to make it sound like the goodbye note the band never had. And I can understand the reasoning behind that, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a rambling piece of what is essentially prose rather than lyrics, which somehow became a sad farewell due to someone else's editing. We'll never know what Richey intended by those words, but the edited version is so massively different to the original that you can't really compare the two. Like I said, I can understand why it was edited in the way it was, but I still think more emotional emphasis was placed on that song than ever existed originally. It's the only edited version I'll never be 100% sure I approve of. Which is ironic, because the edited version is beautiful and I love those words, but it's the one song on the album that feels almost like a meaning what forced upon them, rather than naturally brought out through the editing process.
I quite agree - to the extent that I don't really have anything else to add. The full lyrics and the edited version are totally different, and it feels as if they manipulated them to make this 'farewell' letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
What do you mean alleged? This isn't something new, is it? It was in the album sleeve...
Old 28-03-2010, 08:49
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
This is James though he can sing anything!
He would've made a game effort, bless him!

The song is called Williams Last Words so it wasn't originally about Richey himself in the first place. Nicky does put emphasis on the lyric 'You're the best friends I ever had' when he sings it. I still say it's the right of the band to have edited/interpreted it that way. Not everyone agrees it's the right way to have gone with it but it's indidvidual thought on it.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 28-03-2010, 09:06
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
You are right. I just copied what was written in the website, thinking that the term 'Alleged' would not be appropriate
Old 31-03-2010, 16:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

i was disapointed by the whole editing. was there any need for the repeated lines in PEELED APPLES, its not like it was short of lyrics

Quote:
For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expected me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans, and account for every drop of used motor oil. And I have to foot the bill for nuclear waste and burned gasoline tanks and landfilled toxic sludge dumped a generation before I was born.
Old 31-03-2010, 19:22
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
btw. does anyone know what happened to the lyrics about cutting balerina's feet (or something like that)?
They didn't include it as Kele from Bloc Party used it for one of their songs a couple of years ago.