Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-10-2014, 22:00
Born to end

Send away the tigers v Postcards for a Young man

Is the general consensus on here that Postcards is the worst of the two?

I get that impression, but to me Send away the tigers is the worst Manics album. I just find it to be a total throw-away album that they didn't spend much time on. I find the lyrics particularly annoying and the music throughout sounds like a parody of the Manics. Whilst Postcards is flawed and the whole 'mass communication' thing really grated I think the song writing is much stronger and musically it has more interesting things going on even if it was spoiled by overuse of strings and gospel choirs.
Old 28-10-2014, 22:18
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I preferred Send Away The Tigers.
It was a massive step back from what they were doing on Lifeblood, but at least the rock tracks sounded more focused and enjoyable than the raw thrills from Know Your Enemy.
Old 28-10-2014, 23:03
Knowlede Is Power

Send away the tigers is better. Its the album that got me into the manics big time. Iv never understood all the hatred for it. Its just the manics being the manics. Whats so wrong with that once in a while? Sure if every record they did sounded like it then it would soon become tiresome, but every now and then its great fun! Plus it seemed to revitalise them as a band and boost their confidence.
Old 28-10-2014, 23:15
Doors slowly closing

I much prefer SATT. The title track and Don't Be Evil are the only songs off PFAYM that I still listen to, and not especially often.
Old 28-10-2014, 23:54
Freed from the century

I think it maybe depends if you are a lyrics person or a music person, I fucking loathe SATT for the Godawful 'Ah that'll do' lyrics but can forgive PFAYM for the 'everything including kitchen sink' music because at least it has something to say and says it well.
Old 29-10-2014, 00:00
Under neon loneliness

SATT by a long, long way. PFAYM is auditory hell.
Old 29-10-2014, 00:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
I think it maybe depends if you are a lyrics person or a music person, I fucking loathe SATT for the Godawful 'Ah that'll do' lyrics but can forgive PFAYM for the 'everything including kitchen sink' music because at least it has something to say and says it well.
I find both albums hit and miss for lyrics. Post-90s, I've given up academically looking through Manics lyrics, looking up references, taking away personal reflections etc (with the exception of Journal for Plague Lovers) because Nicky is an infuriating mix of good and awful lyrics.
Old 29-10-2014, 00:29
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, kind of. But Tigers has Underdogs.... Not too much of a wisdom but those lyrics are sweet.
Old 29-10-2014, 07:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

Nothing to choose between, really. The only good thing I can say about those two is that it was truly working class of them to continue making music, when they werenŽt good at it. And obviously didnŽt want to either. With returns diminishing and youthfulness returning as parody etc. Continuing to work in these conditions is what being a working class hero is all about. And I am not sarcastic here. If theyŽd done what pretty much every other 90s band did: hiatus and reform - they would have lost their form. Rewind and Futurology would not have been possible. Instead of these genuine developments, weŽd have gotten Forth, Bloodsports, the Blur tracks etc. Some kind of sad "picking it up where we left it off". No one wants to hear you pick it up from were you left it off, when you left off in ruins.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:02
Stretched out in the sun

Postcards From A Young Man beats Send Away The Tigers for me. I can see similarities though, wasn't surprised at how much of a hit that Send Away The Tigers was given their hit making track record and I do like bits of it.. I just find both albums kind of frustrating given that they'd followed Lifeblood and Journal For Plague Lovers - a pair of incomparable albums that I think took them far out of their comfort zones, so bold and brave for different reasons and retreated from them so sharply.

I think Postcards From A Young Man is probably the closest they've been to trying to go over familiar ground, I think all the talk of mass communication etc probably would've probably resonated a bit better if it'd come before Send Away The Tigers. Can hardly believe it's only three and half years between the two albums, obviously there'd been a massive decline from previously but people were still buying singles in 2007 and I think over that period the consumer changed more than the band did.

Postcards From A Young Man does have more strong points than Send Away The Tigers for me though, I love Some Kind Of Nothingness, Don't Be Evil, Auto-Intoxication, A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun and The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever. That said, I think The Descent is possibly my least favourite song they've recorded. I liked the inclusion of guests on the album too. Sharing a studio with a weird bastard like John Cale was bound to bring some different ideas in...

Oh and both albums have some brilliant b-sides too.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:46
Knowlede Is Power

I've hardly touched PFAYM since I bought it. It just gathers dust on my shelf, cos I never really took to it.

Send Away the Tigers... has some fantastic tunes.
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 29-10-2014, 09:46
I live to fall asleep

Going from JFPL to PFAYM is like winning the Champions League to being relegated. It's an incredible incredible fall.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:56
Doors slowly closing

SATT is better as an era, purely for the bsides, but I prefer PFAYM as an album because the songs are varied and complete. Much of SATT is repetition and overall feels more like an idea.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:04
Freed from the century

Much prefer SATT. It has a fresher feel and the band/songs sound more energised. I remember being so happy and feeling like they'd returned to form after Lifeblood/God Save The Manics etc. PFAYM just sounds a bit tired and a frail version of SATT.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:42
I live to fall asleep

I like both but SATT is better of the two.