Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
SATT is the only Manics album that I've not listened to at all in the last couple of years. In fact, I don't know where the CD is, and I can't be bothered to put the LP on. I've probably listened to it about a dozen times. I don't hate it, I think it's a decent rock album that translates well to live shows. On the other hand, I love the SATT B sides, and listen to them a lot.

I don't think the Manics have put a foot wrong since then though, the last four studio albums have all been brilliant. So yes, I much prefer Postcards to SATT.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THE CD IS? You mean your collection isn't chronological?! If I were a mod you'd be almost banned
Old 01-11-2014, 17:18
Doors slowly closing

SATT is definitely superior, despite the presence of throwaway tracks like The Second Great Depression, cock rock Winterlovers and the biggest insult of their career Autumsong. It still has at least got some energy to it, I see it as a sequel to GATS. Just as cheesy, full of guitar solos and full on stadium rock anthems. Just as MSP sound like completely different bands sometimes, these two could've been recorded by the same version.

PFAYM just isn't worth wasting any time on. Rock Bottom.
Old 06-11-2014, 15:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoutus View Post
Much prefer SATT. It has a fresher feel and the band/songs sound more energised. I remember being so happy and feeling like they'd returned to form after Lifeblood/God Save The Manics etc. PFAYM just sounds a bit tired and a frail version of SATT.
I do agree; not much between the two but SATT has so much more energy although it might have benefitted from one or two pared down songs [i.e. acoustic-based slower ones].
Old 06-11-2014, 15:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
SATT is definitely superior, despite the presence of throwaway tracks like The Second Great Depression, cock rock Winterlovers and the biggest insult of their career Autumsong. It still has at least got some energy to it, I see it as a sequel to GATS. Just as cheesy, full of guitar solos and full on stadium rock anthems. Just as MSP sound like completely different bands sometimes, these two could've been recorded by the same version.

Crickey..........Depression is probably my favourite track on the album!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:29
Born to end

Oh god, I'll be crucified for this but here goes:

Hate SATT with a passion except for the title track, it's my least played Manics album by a country mile AND I love PFAYM, play it all the time, never skip any tracks and think Autumnsong is an absolute delight. Puts me in a right good mood it does.

No this is not a joke btw. x
Old 11-11-2014, 11:05
Desire on its knees

I genuinely love both of them for what they are. Although they're obviously not a patch on THB and JFPL, I think I probably prefer them to RTF and Futurology.
31-5-96 Newport 21-10-96 Exeter 12-12-96 Cardiff 9-4-97 Plymouth 24-5-97 Mcr 23-8-97 Reading 20-9-98 Port Talbot 19-12-98 Exeter 21-12-98 Cardiff 27-3-99 Brussels 28-3-99 Paris 26-6-99 Glasto 22-8-99 V99 31-12-99 Cardiff 8-3-01 Cardiff 27-03-01 Mcr 28-3-01 Mcr 23-8-01 Cardiff 25-8-01 Reading 12-9-01 Ldn 18-8-02 V2002 6-12-02 Mcr 29-6-03 Glasto 11-7-03 Mcr 17-12-04 Mcr 9-4-05 Liverpool 7-10-06 Sheffield 17-5-07 Sheffield 8-12-07 Birmingham 21-8-08 Newport 28-5-09 Ldn 12-10-10 Derby 16-10-10 Lincoln 31-10-10 Leicester 1-11-10 Cambridge 22-1-11 Ldn 19-5-11 Wolves 17-12-11 Ldn 27-9-13 Mcr 31-3-14 Leicester 6-4-14 Wolves 8-7-14 Ldn 11-12-14 Mcr 16-12-14 Ldn 17-12-14 Ldn 30-5-15 Edinburgh 29-5-16 Swansea 18-10-17 Ldn 4-5-18 Ldn 19-6-18 Ldn 31-5-19 Leicester 3-12-21 Ldn
Old 11-11-2014, 11:36
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernovajuice View Post
Oh god, I'll be crucified for this but here goes:

Hate SATT with a passion except for the title track, it's my least played Manics album by a country mile AND I love PFAYM, play it all the time, never skip any tracks and think Autumnsong is an absolute delight. Puts me in a right good mood it does.

No this is not a joke btw. x
Autumnsong is off SATT.
Old 13-11-2014, 02:01
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoutus View Post
Autumnsong is off SATT.
Oops, so it is lol.

I still really like it though.
Old 16-11-2014, 08:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post

I'd say that 'Postcards' on the other hand is a much more ambitious album than 'Tigers' which is basically a few rock songs with string sections thrown over them to make them sound bigger. Not that some of those songs aren't good, but I'd have preferred more 'Imperial Bodybags' and less 'Autumnsong'.

In contrast, on 'Postcards' there's a sense of them pushing the boat out a bit. The first use of gospel choirs for example might not be to everyone's taste (I love them myself, maybe it's because I used to sing in choirs when I was younger) but it's still a new ingredient to the sound, something 'Tigers' fails to introduce. 'Golden Platitudes' in particular doesn't really sound like anything else they've written, while 'Some Kind Of Nothingness' uses voices to create a wall of sound in a way they've not tried since 'Tolerate'.

And it's not just the choirs. In the past Sean's trumpet playing has been a rare treat, and usually employed in the place of a guitar solo. But on 'The Future Has Been Here 4-Ever' it drives the song for the first time, again sounding unlike any Manics song previous.

'Auto-Intoxication' is not just a very decent rock song with a big chorus - it has three distinct sections at different tempos and John Cale's bridge between verse and chorus is something you can't imagine they'd have included in their heavier moments in the past.

Even the songs that are more straight-forward are largely better than their 'Tigers' counterparts. 'A Billion Balconies' vs 'Underdogs'? Only one winner. 'Auto-Intoxication' vs 'I'm Just A Patsy'? 'Some Kind Of Nothingness' vs 'Autumnsong'? 'Golden Platitudes' vs almost anything on 'Tigers'?

Also, lyrically 'Postcards' is a much stronger album than 'Tigers', the latter seemingly deliberately bland most of the time to not put people off what was in effect a comeback record. 'Postcards' may have an FM sheen but there's more bite in the words.

'Postcards' is far from perfect - 'The Decent' should have been a b-side, 'Hazelton Avenue' is ok but not special, 'I Think I Found It' is a rip off of 'Time Ain't Nothing' and neither are especially great. But around those is an interesting commercial rock album - in the sense that 'Everything Must Go' was a commercial rock album.
Old 16-11-2014, 22:59
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I'd say that 'Postcards' on the other hand is a much more ambitious album than 'Tigers' which is basically a few rock songs with string sections thrown over them to make them sound bigger. Not that some of those songs aren't good, but I'd have preferred more 'Imperial Bodybags' and less 'Autumnsong'.

In contrast, on 'Postcards' there's a sense of them pushing the boat out a bit. The first use of gospel choirs for example might not be to everyone's taste (I love them myself, maybe it's because I used to sing in choirs when I was younger) but it's still a new ingredient to the sound, something 'Tigers' fails to introduce. 'Golden Platitudes' in particular doesn't really sound like anything else they've written, while 'Some Kind Of Nothingness' uses voices to create a wall of sound in a way they've not tried since 'Tolerate'.

And it's not just the choirs. In the past Sean's trumpet playing has been a rare treat, and usually employed in the place of a guitar solo. But on 'The Future Has Been Here 4-Ever' it drives the song for the first time, again sounding unlike any Manics song previous.

'Auto-Intoxication' is not just a very decent rock song with a big chorus - it has three distinct sections at different tempos and John Cale's bridge between verse and chorus is something you can't imagine they'd have included in their heavier moments in the past.

Even the songs that are more straight-forward are largely better than their 'Tigers' counterparts. 'A Billion Balconies' vs 'Underdogs'? Only one winner. 'Auto-Intoxication' vs 'I'm Just A Patsy'? 'Some Kind Of Nothingness' vs 'Autumnsong'? 'Golden Platitudes' vs almost anything on 'Tigers'?

Also, lyrically 'Postcards' is a much stronger album than 'Tigers', the latter seemingly deliberately bland most of the time to not put people off what was in effect a comeback record. 'Postcards' may have an FM sheen but there's more bite in the words.

'Postcards' is far from perfect - 'The Decent' should have been a b-side, 'Hazelton Avenue' is ok but not special, 'I Think I Found It' is a rip off of 'Time Ain't Nothing' and neither are especially great. But around those is an interesting commercial rock album - in the sense that 'Everything Must Go' was a commercial rock album.
Spot on.
Old 17-11-2014, 00:18
I live to fall asleep

Aside from the title track and It's Not War, I can easily live without PFAYM.

Though flawed, SATT has a fair amount of glory.

In terms of post Lifeblood, it goes:

1. JFPL
2. Futurology
3. Rewind The Film
4. Send Away The Tigers
5. Postcards From A Young Man

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 17-11-2014, 09:03
I live to fall asleep

Is it just me or was PFAYM not just absolutely over-produced shite?
Old 17-11-2014, 10:07
I live to fall asleep

Both of them have great tacks. Second Great Depression from Tigers + Golden Platitudes from Postcards = <3
Old 17-11-2014, 11:54
Born to end

Being part of the ''Playlist Generation'' an all thah, I spliced these two rather similar and ropey albums into one barnstorming summery Manics elpee years ago. 'Send Away The Postcards' is the commercial rock album they've been trying to make!

1. It's Not War (Just The End Of Love)
2. Postcards From A Young Man
3. Auto-Intoxication
4. Golden Platitudes
5. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
6. I Think I Found It
7. Indian Summer
8. I'm Just A Patsy
9. Imperial Bodybags
10. The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever
11. All We Make Is Entertainment

It works really well and I actually listen to it quite a lot. Brighten up a cold November day and make yer own, kids. If you get bored you could move on to 'This Is My Lifeblood..' or summat (the cold, elegiac album the Manics have always been trying to make, obv).
Old 17-11-2014, 12:50
Bored of being bored

Postcards has: Some Kind Of Nothingness, A Billion Balconies, Golden Platitudes.
Send Away has: Underdogs, Send Away The Tigers, and Rendition.

3 decent tracks on each, both underwhelming.