Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-12-2014, 23:58
Born to end

I think the Manic Street Preachers saved my life

(Incoming wall of text)

Every summer, for the past 6 years (since I was 12) I've had horrible depression, and suicidal thoughts, as a result of being bullied, my looks, and having no friends, among other things. Not sure why it was just the summer. Maybe cause I didn't have school to distract me from my thoughts and flaws. When I was 14 I began cutting myself. The same year, I discovered the Manics, and fell in love instantly. Their gritty, true lyrics and amazing music appealed so much to me when I was in a dark place.

This September, despite (or because of?) school getting harder and taking up more of my time, I didn't get better. I got worse. I was cutting more and more deeply and often, nearly fainting from blood loss at least once. I was focusing more on the fact that I'm 18, but I still haven't achieved even something small. I was becoming obsessed with my weight. I was seriously contemplating killing myself, planning it out. Then I got an email from Eventful (which I can't remember why or when I signed up for) telling me about a wonderful, beautiful, amazing concert, which took place last night in the Olympia. Somehow, I was able to hold on those few months. I figured, I'll be dead eventually anyway, might as well see my favourite band at least once before I go. Friday, I got a horrible panic attack in school, but thought to myself "just wait one more day, then it will be over".

Last night was incredible, and changed me. It was only the second concert I'd ever been to, and the first I hadn't been dragged to by my only friend. This forum, and the "Manics gig attire" thread, inspired me to make an effort. I robbed my sister's leopardprint fedora, dug my own pink leopardprint top out of the wardrobe. I wore eye shadow and nail polish, something I never do (I rather not attract attention to myself. I prefer to hide in the corner). I felt truly beautiful, something else I never do. I hate photos, but asked my dad to take one of me last night before I left the house. I even stopped someone on the stairs down from the circle and asked her to take my photo. That doesn't mean much, but I am without a doubt and sincerely the shiest person in my school. Talking to anybody terrifies me, I rarely even post on forums for that reason.

So how was I able to do it? Because of the amazing sense of community I got from being there. In a restaurant beforehand, I saw someone in a leopardprint top, and thought "I know where you're going. You are like me". In the theatre, I saw people of all ages. 70 year old men, and little 10 year old kids. Men and women and we were all different. To an outsider, nothing united us. But we were brought together that night by a shared love of the Manic Street Preachers. I saw people in sailor suits talking with people in jeans, and that was normal. I looked down into the pit, and I saw one guy with a jacket that read God Is Dead, and I thought "I understand that. I understand you". (And if you're reading this jacket dude, Rock On!) This probably all sounds a little over the top, but it was the first time in my life I've truly felt like I belonged somewhere, like I was the same as everyone around me, like people wouldn't judge me but would respect me.

I went to the merch stand before the show, and I spent more money than I should have, but it was worth it. I got the dog tags, the grey and camo shirts, and the album. I put the tags on immediately, and began absently playing with them, running them through my fingers, almost kissing them. Then I realised with irony I was treating them the same a devoutly religious person would treat rosaries. Putting the name of the album aside, it is a bit like religion isn't it? We came from everywhere to hear what we believe in. And again there's that sense of community. During the show, I was singing along almost all the way, even though I gave up singing years ago. For A Design For Life,we were all standing, the whole audience. I was there with the best (and worst) of them, roaring the words, dancing, punching the air. Me, the girl who sits at the back of the class, refuses to participate, hates drawing attention to herself. I was just part of the crowd.

Last night, at around 1am, I was flipping through the book, admiring it, running my fingers over the vinyl. This morning, I tried on the shirts. They were a bit big, and looked ridiculous on me, but I was finally able to identify what I'd been feeling since the doors had open at 7pm last night. For the first time in far too long, I felt truly happy. I didn't care the shirts didn't fit, I didn't care the tags jingle when I walk. I loved them, and I felt happy.

I don't think this could have happened with any other band. I may be naive and wrong, but I feel like no other band (that I can think of) has as diverse a following as the Manics. We're mental, and we're all different, old and young, but a thread links us, and that thread gave me strength. I'm going to make an effort now. I'm going to try and stop caring what people think, stop obsessing over tiny things, stop trying to avoid the crowd, do what I want. Heck, I'm still wearing the nail polish. I love it, I feel pretty. I'm going to hold onto life, because no matter how bad things get there is that secret community I belong to, the one with the genius music and silly fashion. I can put in my headphones, turn on the Manic Street Preachers, and feel like I'm a part of something, rather than just an outsider. I'm going to stop cutting myself. I'll dig my guitar out and relearn how to play. It'll be hard, but I have hope. I'm going to try.

I understand that this is obviously a very hard time for the band, coming up to 20 years since Richey's tragic disappearance. I know they'll probably never read this, (or that anyone is still reading this) but I just want to say one last thing.

James, Nicky, Sean, and Richey if you're out there: Thank You.

Last edited by Frigating; 15-12-2014 at 00:15.
Old 15-12-2014, 00:29
Under neon loneliness

That's a brilliant post, thank you for putting into words what many of us feel.
Old 15-12-2014, 00:46
An imitation of dignity

Love this so much!
Old 15-12-2014, 03:05
I live to fall asleep

POTY.
Old 15-12-2014, 03:46
A self-made vacuum

Thank you for this post. Even after all this time the Manics continue to inspire. I haven't been around here much in the last few years but there was a time this community and the Manics saved me too. Wonderful post!
Old 15-12-2014, 09:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Perfect.
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 15-12-2014, 11:56
I live to fall asleep

Thanks for sharing this! Glad to see the gig is having a such a positive impact for you
Old 15-12-2014, 12:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Beautiful post Frigating, reading it gave me such a grin! Nothing is more wonderful than finding that spark again, best wishes!
Old 15-12-2014, 13:05
An imitation of dignity

Great Post, Once you start following the MANICS theres no going back,you will be obsessed,like me,in a good way tho.xxx
Old 15-12-2014, 13:20
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Welcome to the forum, Frigating. Nice to have you here with us.
Old 15-12-2014, 13:25
I live to fall asleep

Frigating what was your fav part of the show?

And what is your fav Manics album at the minute?

I always find it interesting to hear the different ways we all discovered all the albums.
Old 15-12-2014, 13:58
Knowlede Is Power

AHHH that gig attire thread was mine, I'm so glad it inspired you to write this - I'm smiling like a weirdo at my laptop.

What you've written there pretty much sums up myself and I'm sure in some way or another sums up every single other person here.
It's weird how we're all united by four men half of us haven't even met!! No matter how shitty things get in the real world, the Manics are always there for us.

That's it, you're in this for life now ....welcome to our little fandom and FD x x

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 15-12-2014, 21:25
An imitation of dignity

Love THIS.
Old 15-12-2014, 21:59
Freed from the century

Is anything so beautiful as the life-affirming power of music?
Old 15-12-2014, 22:08
A self-made vacuum

This post was lovely and I'm so happy that the gig was such a positive experience for you.

I hope things improve for you and you should know that you always have the people here to talk to - we're not as scary as we look and there's plenty of people willing to lend an ear and some support to a fellow manics fan

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18