Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-02-2019, 15:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Not trying to be the anti-fun police, but this thread is kind of getting into the quasi slander arena. Whether rumours are baseless or not, it's probably best not to give them much airing here. Considering there may already be some legal attention given to SHR's book, I think we should not give grounds to have that attention refocused on this forum.
You're probably right so I snipped my other post to cut the sordid story out. But it's quite common knowledge and I know it's on your woman's Richey site too. Still, better safe than sorry.
Old 17-02-2019, 16:02
Builder of routine

Has anyone read a review copy of this book? Or are we all just speculating what might be in it? I would've thought any hatred would be focused on how Richey was treated rather than who James may or may not have been in a relationship with?
Old 17-02-2019, 16:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
... he’d tell me the reasons why I wasn’t pretty and how he was special for wanting me. That’s when the cutting started.
‘I used to cut myself when I knew I was going to run into him, so I couldn’t take my clothes off. So I wouldn’t lose my heart to him. Though, of course, I already had.’ ...
‘No, I wanted him so much, I’d go home with him anyway. And he didn’t see the cuts. He never noticed. If he did, he didn’t say anything. He just f**ked me anyway.’
To go back to this, I just read this fabulously glamorous interview with Forrest and think this is worth mentioning:
"When she met Richey Edwards, of the Manic Street Preachers, he introduced her to the idea of self-mutilation. "I had never heard of people cutting themselves, but I began doing it after he vanished [it's assumed he committed suicide], so I guess you could say Richey bequeathed that to me." this fabulously glamorous interview ]with Forrest and think this is worth mentioning:

When she met Richey Edwards, of the Manic Street Preachers, he introduced her to the idea of self-mutilation. "I had never heard of people cutting themselves, but I began doing it after he vanished [it's assumed he committed suicide], so I guess you could say Richey bequeathed that to me."

I can't remember why I thought it was worth mentioning, but that's old age for you.

Last edited by handbag; 17-02-2019 at 16:33.
Old 17-02-2019, 17:27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Has anyone read a review copy of this book? Or are we all just speculating what might be in it? I would've thought any hatred would be focused on how Richey was treated rather than who James may or may not have been in a relationship with?

There are copies floating around, and it is for sale in Dublin. Someone down there saw it, flicked through it and described it as a crock of shite (he posted about it on FB, along with the name of the bookshop). Which makes me question just why this book is delayed? Surely, if it is for legal reasons, it would not be available anywhere.

Anyway, it may well be for sale in Dublin but I've certainly not seen it in Belfast. But then, we're subject to UK libel laws etc.
Old 17-02-2019, 18:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
There are copies floating around, and it is for sale in Dublin. Someone down there saw it, flicked through it and described it as a crock of shite (he posted about it on FB, along with the name of the bookshop). Which makes me question just why this book is delayed? Surely, if it is for legal reasons, it would not be available anywhere.

Anyway, it may well be for sale in Dublin but I've certainly not seen it in Belfast. But then, we're subject to UK libel laws etc.
Aah. Praps Irish law is different but then Amazon does have form for getting publication dates wrong. Could be anything. This Emma Forrest story seems a bit of a storm in a teacup I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Edit: book depository has it listed as currently unavailable ..not a pre-order ...and not sure when back in stock. publication date is 14 Feb.

Last edited by hummingbird; 17-02-2019 at 18:38.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:03

Is there a link to the facebook page about the "crock of shite" details? I think it's really odd. On facebook, I've only seen about 10 comments about the book, that are quite none judgemental, and not with mention of a pre review? Or any main detail that are in this thread.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:26
Bored of being bored

Book shops often get stock early and will put them out if there's no embargo.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
Is there a link to the facebook page about the "crock of shite" details? I think it's really odd. On facebook, I've only seen about 10 comments about the book, that are quite none judgemental, and not with mention of a pre review? Or any main detail that are in this thread.

Yes, This One They've discussed the book quite a bit in there.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
I'm not on facebook. Probably makes me a social pariah
Old 17-02-2019, 19:54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'm not on facebook. Probably makes me a social pariah

Trust me, you're not missing much of anything! xD
Old 17-02-2019, 20:21

Quote:
Oh really that explains why there's only a few comments on the facebook page. Though it's not a group i'd want to join in the sense it's possibly a bit blinkered about things.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:43
Banned

Quote:
Oh really that explains why there's only a few comments on the facebook page. Though it's not a group i'd want to join in the sense it's possibly a bit blinkered about things.

TBH, it's mostly just the admin posting randoms pics of Richey and not much else. She seems a nice girl, though.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:59

I don't understand why the person who commented on the book doesn't do it publicly on facebook with a reason.
Old 17-02-2019, 21:15
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand why the person who commented on the book doesn't do it publicly on facebook with a reason.
Well, he posted in that group because that's where the discussion was being held. He just said the author clearly had an axe to grind against the band (especially James). We'd already deduced that from the Times Review, where they felt the digs against the band were unwarranted and unfair.
Old 18-02-2019, 17:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Not trying to be the anti-fun police, but this thread is kind of getting into the quasi slander arena. Whether rumours are baseless or not, it's probably best not to give them much airing here. Considering there may already be some legal attention given to SHR's book, I think we should not give grounds to have that attention refocused on this forum.
This. Thanks . I've been keeping a close eye on this thread for this reason.