Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-03-2019, 23:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
I think it'll soon blow over.
Yeah, I’m having a much harder time being a Michael Jackson fan at the moment.
Old 14-03-2019, 02:03
Bored of being bored

Flicked through a copy in Waterstones. A GATS deluxe edition with a copy of Richey's scrapbook would be good. I wonder why they changed the track listing?
Old 14-03-2019, 10:17
Born to end

I've got a sample on kindle and will flick through at a bookshop. Think that's the furthest I'll go though. I want to see a bit for myself.
I'm interested to find out more but it doesn't sound trustworthy and I'm not comfortable with the slating of the band.
Old 14-03-2019, 10:19
Knowlede Is Power

I had an email off amazon this morning saying it wpuldnt be deliveted until some time between 28th March and 15th April. So is this out now then or what?
Old 14-03-2019, 11:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Yeah, I’m having a much harder time being a Michael Jackson fan at the moment.
Difficult that nothing there was ever proven, however dubious. As a long time fan of the Glitter Band (those drums though!) I had many, many years of trying to deal with GG. I never have, and feel grubby listening on my ipod (because I'd probably get a Molotov cocktail through my window if I played it on my turntable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I had an email off amazon this morning saying it wpuldnt be deliveted until some time between 28th March and 15th April. So is this out now then or what?
I know some people in the UK received their copy yesterday, so that's strange.

Bryter Layter didn't show on the multi quote, so I'll do it like this:

It was Leon Noakes who made the comment about addresses

Blimey, I thought this fellow was some kind of bot. First thing I've heard about him talking about the book!

I do hope it reaches the right people though because I think Rachel Edwards maybe using the book as an opportunity to provoke sympathy or jog some memories among anyone who may know something about his disappearance.

Seems like a far stretch, but it's not beyond the impossible. I agree. I know Rachel has other things going on in her life, but the work she's put into her brother's disappearance hasn't given her reward (definitely not a sodding toll ticket). Maybe, maybe. I really hope so.
Old 14-03-2019, 20:12
Builder of routine

The book is available to download for Kindle. I've read what's available in the sample ... Forward, Introduction and one and a bit chapters. There's a five star review on Amazon too. Someone wants the book to do well........

I didn't know he was offered a place at a private boarding school. Silly boy turning it down . Great aunt Bessie sounds like she deserves a book of her own.

If I didn't know anything about what's coming I would've downloaded the rest based on the sample but I'll pass.

This new release date coincides with an exhibition of paintings of missing people including Richey at the Truman Brewery in London.. featured on the London news yesterday.

Last edited by hummingbird; 14-03-2019 at 20:42.
Old 14-03-2019, 21:21

Person who has given a five star review hasn’t read it yet...
Old 14-03-2019, 21:23

Is anyone who got a copy for curiosity’s sake planning to sell their copy on? I don’t like criticising without firsthand knowledge, but I don’t want my money lining SHR’s pockets if it’s as bad as we’re told.
Old 14-03-2019, 21:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Blimey, I thought this fellow was some kind of bot. First thing I've heard about him talking about the book!
He's made a few Facebook or IG comments in relation to questions asked about the delay (I just saw screenshots in passing. I've no interest in this fellow. Lol!). I really don't think he had much input into the book besides perhaps helping sort through the crap they call an "archive". Man, what a massive disappointment this so-called archive is! Seriously, it's the pits! The only bright spots are the letters he wrote to friends and girlfriends which are both extremely adorable and at times, frighteningly worrisome. In particular, a "love letter" he sent a girl he dated when he was 20 pretty much describes a guy deeply traumatized by being in a relationship. Honestly, it's hard to read and horrible to think how terribly conflicted he was between wanting to care for her and grappling with his own massive insecurities.

I'm actually struggling to get through this book and not because it's trash. SHR may be a giant troll, but she's not a horrible writer. I just feel like the curtain has been pulled back a bit and the guy I've admired since my teens has turned out to be not who I thought he was which is ok in certain respects, it's just a bit hard to digest. I'm only on his university years now, but I had a fairly good skim earlier and a few takeaways were...he was kind of a misogynist jerk. I mean, maybe a lot of his hatred for girls (I don't think he ever dated women even in his 20s so I won't mention them) came from his severe insecurities, but a fair bit sounds like he viewed women as either saints or sluts (not entirely surprising given how he would dehumanize groupies to the media). His friends seem to write this off as him being a traditionalist, but if that's true, why did he not expect the same puritanical standards of his male friends? Then there was a letter he wrote to Jo from Thailand expressing his love for her meanwhile he had told a journalist during that trip that he wasn't attracted to the people he slept with ("I like perfectly aesthetic bodies") and then dropped the bombshell info about visiting a prostitute and getting a hand job. Wow! That's pretty messed up! He was also very arrogant in his youth (something to balance the self-hate, I guess) and seemed fairly certain he was going to be famous. Overall though, he sounded like a pretty nice, if not seriously damaged, guy.

As far as the other Manics go, I haven't read any nastiness yet except a recollection from one of Richey's Blackwood friends that the three of them used to think Graham Edwards was a Freemason because he was a successful business person. The implication being that his family were comparatively well off and therefore they must have had nefarious help getting there. Oh and that's another interesting point about Richey! Well at least it is for me. It would appear that he came from the same school of working class hero as John Lennon.
Old 14-03-2019, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
It would appear that he came from the same school of working class hero as John Lennon.
Except John Lennon's parents were broke. His dad was a dick and left the family home, and his mum was knocked down by a car and killed. That large house (which looks bit posh to me) was his Aunt Mimi's who he went to live with at 18 and she was middle class. Yeah, Richey definitely sounds like he's from the same school.

The relationships thing I'm taking with a pinch of salt. None of it adds up. I'm doing the same with the entire book, although it's not a denial that Richey could be/was a bell end. Nobody's perfect and I never imagined he was for a second.

Grateful for the York Notes!
Old 14-03-2019, 22:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
Is anyone who got a copy for curiosity’s sake planning to sell their copy on? I don’t like criticising without firsthand knowledge, but I don’t want my money lining SHR’s pockets if it’s as bad as we’re told.
Just get a digital copy! They're much cheaper.

I don't know yet if this book is a must in the Manics canon of poorly written/researched bios, but if you dig Richey, it's an interesting if not difficult read. I'm approaching this book with full on belief about the stories of him as a child/teen, but anticipating a great deal of scrutiny about his years with the Manics. As far as I'm concerned, if they weren't on tour with them or in the studio with them, they aren't likely to know what the group dynamic really was. Also, in the absence of any input by the other Manics, how do they know what those guys were thinking too? A few letters from a slighted teenage groupie and an unnamed roadie, hardly make for the best narrators of what was going on behind the scenes in their inner circle.
Old 14-03-2019, 22:25

Got my copy today. Barbra Streisand effect folks.
Old 15-03-2019, 00:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Just get a digital copy! They're much cheaper.
And you could in theory return it for a refund when you’re done I mean what who said a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
Got my copy today. Barbra Streisand effect folks.
Yes yes, we’ve all definitely been ‘attempting to hide, remove, or censor information’, that’s what this thread has been all about. It’s not an unadmittable crime to want to know wtf is going on with it...

Last edited by sofarsideways; 15-03-2019 at 00:12.
Old 15-03-2019, 01:59
Knowlede Is Power

this book is bizarre wtf am i reading
Old 15-03-2019, 03:18
Winterlover

Quote:
Except John Lennon's parents were broke. His dad was a dick and left the family home, and his mum was knocked down by a car and killed. That large house (which looks bit posh to me) was his Aunt Mimi's who he went to live with at 18 and she was middle class. Yeah, Richey definitely sounds like he's from the same school.

The relationships thing I'm taking with a pinch of salt. None of it adds up. I'm doing the same with the entire book, although it's not a denial that Richey could be/was a bell end. Nobody's perfect and I never imagined he was for a second![/B]
True, but Aunt Mimi raised him so other than a brief period of living with his mum, he grew up in a lower middle class home. Nothing wrong with either men portraying themselves as growing up working class, I just think it’s interesting.

Why do you say you’re taking the relationships with a grain of salt? Do you think they’re stretching the truth a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
And you could in theory return it for a refund when you’re done I mean what who said a thing?
Can you do that with e-books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
Yes yes, we’ve all definitely been ‘attempting to hide, remove, or censor information’, that’s what this thread has been all about. It’s not an unadmittable crime to want to know wtf is going on with it...
Exactly!

“The Streisand Effect”? Lol! That was always going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy View Post
this book is bizarre wtf am i reading
Haha! Right? It’s getting really weird now.