Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 10:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Pretty much anything is better than any muse song from the past 12 years.
There are only so many songs about nothing (or half baked conspiracy theory) that one can write
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23
Stretched out in the sun

Seen their last three Glastonbury headlines but besides that I can't remember the last time I chose to listen to em...
Old 01-03-2018, 16:03
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
The song... I've had it on more than International Blue, think I prefer it. I kinda like where it's coming from lyrically, and with it being a James lyric it leaves me wondering who the true nostalgia junkie, introspective, misery guts of the band is. But I'm those things anyway, so course that's gonna help me appreciate it a bit more. Nowt particularly complex about the lyrics but there doesn't need to be, sometimes there's beauty doing nothing at all aye? It's growing on me, still prefer the verse music to the chorus music, isn't blowing me away but find it pleasant enough. Pleasant, yeah, don't think we'll be getting another Archives of Pain any time soon.
I just don't understand why, as a single, a more memorable wasn't chosen. There isn't anything catchy about Distant Colours musically or lyrically. It's nice, of course, but underwhelming.

That doesn't bother me inherently - many of their songs (particularly their b-sides and album tracks) don't have any appreciable hook or oomph - but I just find it a very odd track to focus on to promote an upcoming album.

Unless, of course, it is representative of said upcoming album.

Incidentally, the Distant Colours lyric video was released the other day and it cuts out that extremely long and patient Welsh-language intro (I love Welsh language songs and intros, by the way, but it's very long on Distant Colours).
Old 01-03-2018, 17:20
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
I just don't understand why, as a single, a more memorable wasn't chosen. There isn't anything catchy about Distant Colours musically or lyrically. It's nice, of course, but underwhelming.

That doesn't bother me inherently - many of their songs (particularly their b-sides and album tracks) don't have any appreciable hook or oomph - but I just find it a very odd track to focus on to promote an upcoming album.

Incidentally, the Distant Colours lyric video was released the other day and it cuts out that extremely long and patient Welsh-language intro (I love Welsh language songs and intros, by the way, but it's very long on Distant Colours).
I dunno, think the chorus is another MOTD Goal of the Month soundtrack contender.

Will look forward to hearing the album anyway, could go either way from here really but think most of their albums are more varied than the singles from it. Well they're bound to be, there are more songs... but whatever, to anyone who's never heard The Holy Bible but has heard Revol and She Is Suffering somehow, that's not gonna give em much clue what they're letting themselve in for. Then there's So Why So Sad, The Love Of Richard Nixon and Show Me The Wonder, don't think any of them give much clue at all about the album. Think every album's got a couple of curveball tracks.. We'll see eh.

Haven't seen the lyrics video yet, didn't really occur to me how long the intro is either but yeah, 4:32 video for a 3:29 song..
Old 02-03-2018, 17:02
I live to fall asleep

I've not really played it since the first appeared. Played it last night to my girlfriend for the first time, she just said "hmmm... it's alright" and then went back to her university studies. I also sent it to my brother, he's quite a big Manics fan, but his reaction was that it was boring. I told him to give it a second chance, he then later said it was slightly better on second listen but preferred International Blue as it was catchier, memorable and upbeat. I still feel it's a nice song but I reckon the album possesses better, catchier and more rockier stuff.
Old 02-03-2018, 19:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Course, but I think some people forget that their opinions, and their opinions of other people's opinions aren't necessarily facts. Can certainly bring out the worst in people. Is there some kind of competition that I don't know about?

I kind of love Amazon and TripAdvisor reviews for the same reasons you hate them, I think they're hilarious. Went to a hotel, someone on reception was rude to me, everything else was fine but fuck it, TripAdvisor one star. It's not as good as their last album, Amazon one star. Notice a lot of Amazon reviews where people seem to be thinking they're reviewing their service rather than the product, and TripAdvisor reviews where people seem to be reviewing the weather or one person rather than an overall experience. If you go to a shit restaurant in I dunno, Barcelona, I think it'd be silly to let a shit restaurant ruin Barcelona for you. But people will and do, I just find it strange. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Anyway, Distant Colours... Finally got the mailing list email yesterday about the single being out. Wonder if Together Stronger is the last time we'll be getting a new physical single out of the band, hope not. Don't even know what the deal is with singles anymore, I know they've done iTunes exclusive b-sides in the past but I've not heard of any b-sides at all so far. I just miss the anticipation of singles, seeing boards up in record shops (got a Slash N' Burn and Kevin Carter one each on me shelf here), are we living in the past indeed.

The song... I've had it on more than International Blue, think I prefer it. I kinda like where it's coming from lyrically, and with it being a James lyric it leaves me wondering who the true nostalgia junkie, introspective, misery guts of the band is. But I'm those things anyway, so course that's gonna help me appreciate it a bit more. Nowt particularly complex about the lyrics but there doesn't need to be, sometimes there's beauty doing nothing at all aye? It's growing on me, still prefer the verse music to the chorus music, isn't blowing me away but find it pleasant enough. Pleasant, yeah, don't think we'll be getting another Archives of Pain any time soon. Love em anyway.

Back to your point about Amazon reviews, reading through the comments on YouTube someone's put up that it's better than Muse's new song. Bit of a head scratcher, that one. Not heard the new Muse song mind, they could've taken a Manic turn for all I know.
Well maybe if you find the Amazon and Trip Advisor reviews funny y'should find the negative reviews on here just as amusing?! I don't know where people find the energy for the amount of moaning and whining on such places.....and you know if you met them they'd say not one word! I personally think email is one of the greatest ever inventions cos I hate talking on the phone....just can't do it even when it's with someone I know well.....but email means that at least in the work world you don't have to - just email everyone and yet some people are incredibly rude when given a screen to hide behind. It is weird how most of us never complain even when we really should but when we have no real need and we have anonymity some people let out their bar steward side over and over. Mini Hitlers.

Better than Muse....well, least we have something they're comparing it to I guess. Depends where you rate Muse and if you've ever thought of them in the same thought as the Manics....I haven't heard their new single. I did read that they think the guitar is dead apparently. Nicky's I'm so modern everything is rubbish came to mind....ramble

Quote:

It's quite a big chorus, I think, after a few plays it's found a hook in my mind to latch on. Underwhelming in your opinion....maybe they didn't bear your opinion in mind when they opted for it as a single
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 03-03-2018, 05:40
Stretched out in the sun

Dylan and Caitlin is showing up with a running time on iTunes. Maybe the third single?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:17
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Well maybe if you find the Amazon and Trip Advisor reviews funny y'should find the negative reviews on here just as amusing?! I don't know where people find the energy for the amount of moaning and whining on such places.....and you know if you met them they'd say not one word! I personally think email is one of the greatest ever inventions cos I hate talking on the phone....just can't do it even when it's with someone I know well.....but email means that at least in the work world you don't have to - just email everyone and yet some people are incredibly rude when given a screen to hide behind. It is weird how most of us never complain even when we really should but when we have no real need and we have anonymity some people let out their bar steward side over and over. Mini Hitlers.
Ah it's different, it's the arrogance that bothers me. Don't remember seeing any Amazon or Trip Advisor reviews that accused people who enjoy such and such of being enablers, wearing rose tinted glasses, living in echo chambers etc. They disagree with my opinion, they're wrong, end of question. Course we can all have our opinions on X, Y and Z. If we're going to even attempt to be objective and open minded, we should try to avoid having our opinion on X clouded by our opinion on Z, or visa versa. If I don't like A and someone else does, it doesn't make me or them wrong or an idiot. Disagreeing over something so subjective, purely opinion based, where there are no facts involved, really shouldn't become so personal. Yet it does and it winds me up when it does.

I don't particularly understand it but I agree about the hiding behind the screen thing. I'm sure I come across more articulate online than I do face to face, alright that's not saying much but whatever. I can't imagine having this kind of conversation face to face either. Not that I'd be ashamed to or owt like that, not that I'm being rude, unpleasant or condescending. Ah fuck it, naming names, I have noticed on here, purely me own opinion obviously, that tzb has form for that kind of interaction and I wonder if he'd even dare talk to people face to face the way he has done on here. That said, if he did, I'd probably only moan about it later on here rather than do owt at the time. Behind a screen. People are fucking weird eh.

Quote:
Better than Muse....well, least we have something they're comparing it to I guess. Depends where you rate Muse and if you've ever thought of them in the same thought as the Manics....I haven't heard their new single. I did read that they think the guitar is dead apparently. Nicky's I'm so modern everything is rubbish came to mind....ramble
Still, that was just a one line comment on the video. Maybe this is the problem, we all need a bit of expectation management. I don't go on comment sections or read Amazon or Trip Advisor reviews expecting to know what they're talking about. I don't expect Manic Street Preachers to tailor themselves for me and cater to my whims. I don't expect them to be as angry and energetic as they were in 1994. I don't even really have expectations, but why the fuck should I anyway? They're artists, it's up to them what they create, it's not like they're serving up a menu.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:21
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
Dylan and Caitlin is showing up with a running time on iTunes. Maybe the third single?
Did I read somewhere about that one being a duet? Not heard owt about any album guests yet, but given how they went without guests inbetween GT and SATT and they haven't gone without guests since JFPL, it'll be a surprise if they do now.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:54
Freed from the century

Quote:
Did I read somewhere about that one being a duet? Not heard owt about any album guests yet, but given how they went without guests inbetween GT and SATT and they haven't gone without guests since JFPL, it'll be a surprise if they do now.
Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be The Anchoress.
Old 03-03-2018, 18:19
Freed from the century

Quote:
Underwhelming in your opinion....maybe they didn't bear your opinion in mind when they opted for it as a single
I would very much hope they don't bear my opinion in mind when opting for anything. Good God, even I don't pay much attention to my own opinions.
Old 03-03-2018, 23:04
Winterlover

Quote:
Ah it's different, it's the arrogance that bothers me. Don't remember seeing any Amazon or Trip Advisor reviews that accused people who enjoy such and such of being enablers, wearing rose tinted glasses, living in echo chambers etc. They disagree with my opinion, they're wrong, end of question. Course we can all have our opinions on X, Y and Z. If we're going to even attempt to be objective and open minded, we should try to avoid having our opinion on X clouded by our opinion on Z, or visa versa. If I don't like A and someone else does, it doesn't make me or them wrong or an idiot. Disagreeing over something so subjective, purely opinion based, where there are no facts involved, really shouldn't become so personal. Yet it does and it winds me up when it does.

I don't particularly understand it but I agree about the hiding behind the screen thing. I'm sure I come across more articulate online than I do face to face, alright that's not saying much but whatever. I can't imagine having this kind of conversation face to face either. Not that I'd be ashamed to or owt like that, not that I'm being rude, unpleasant or condescending. Ah fuck it, naming names, I have noticed on here, purely me own opinion obviously, that tzb has form for that kind of interaction and I wonder if he'd even dare talk to people face to face the way he has done on here. That said, if he did, I'd probably only moan about it later on here rather than do owt at the time. Behind a screen. People are fucking weird eh.

Still, that was just a one line comment on the video. Maybe this is the problem, we all need a bit of expectation management. I don't go on comment sections or read Amazon or Trip Advisor reviews expecting to know what they're talking about. I don't expect Manic Street Preachers to tailor themselves for me and cater to my whims. I don't expect them to be as angry and energetic as they were in 1994. I don't even really have expectations, but why the fuck should I anyway? They're artists, it's up to them what they create, it's not like they're serving up a menu.
I understand how you feel and I do wonder about the amount of negativity towards the band on here. I'm all for differences of opinion and welcome it usually but I do agree with you it depends how it's expressed and running in with opinions that seem to reduce or just shut down any opposing opinion then disappearing does make you wonder what's the point. Having said that I think points like the enabler point should be taken as tongue in cheek? But I am inclined to reckon people are taking the piss more than being serious. And tzb as we're naming names....I suspect he won't show till the next album ha but have to say I remember him from days of old on the forum and he was the first to make me feel welcome here and was always thoughtful and considerate so I'd never say a word against him and I've a feeling he would speak face to face as he does on here......a reckon he loves the band deep down still and like an affair that you know you should walk away from he can't....ha. A good person I'd say and one I wish would stick around more ......

Quote:
I would very much hope they don't bear my opinion in mind when opting for anything. Good God, even I don't pay much attention to my own opinions.

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

That perches in the soul
Old 04-03-2018, 10:08
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Ooh, didn't think of her, connection's already there isn't it?

Quote:
I understand how you feel and I do wonder about the amount of negativity towards the band on here. I'm all for differences of opinion and welcome it usually but I do agree with you it depends how it's expressed and running in with opinions that seem to reduce or just shut down any opposing opinion then disappearing does make you wonder what's the point. Having said that I think points like the enabler point should be taken as tongue in cheek? But I am inclined to reckon people are taking the piss more than being serious. And tzb as we're naming names....I suspect he won't show till the next album ha but have to say I remember him from days of old on the forum and he was the first to make me feel welcome here and was always thoughtful and considerate so I'd never say a word against him and I've a feeling he would speak face to face as he does on here......a reckon he loves the band deep down still and like an affair that you know you should walk away from he can't....ha. A good person I'd say and one I wish would stick around more ......

Course it'd be boring if we all agreed, and like you, I'm wondering what the point is of turning up, slagging off the new album before it's out, presenting your opinion as fact, trying to undermine anyone else's opinion and fucking off not to be seen till the next album. We've had very different experiences of tzb, lad used to talk to me like shite.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
I hope so! She’s been talking on social media about having really exciting announcements to make this week so that would make sense. I thought it might be that she’ll be opening on the upcoming Manics tour which would be great as well.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:58
Winterlover

http://clashmusic.com/news/manic-str...istant-colours

That perches in the soul