Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-07-2006, 08:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

musikexpress - article & review (scans)

The August issue of the German music magazine musikexpress features a nice, one-page interview with James.

I tried to translate the most interesting quotes:
"Nick, Richey and Sean have always been incredible good in suppressing my not-so-presentable musical influences. I have some likings that are frowned upon in the rock world - music by ELO, Badfinger, Tamla-Motown stuff. Now I have the opportunity to stress these influences more. For example: I have always been a big admirer of John Cale's solo debut Paris 1919. And I like the backing vocals on Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road incredibly much. I used to be ashamed of liking such stuff. Now I simply table those cards. When I make music myself it may as well sound less determined."

"There are some things that are still wearing me down. For example the fact that there could be a review of my record in the newspaper. Especially as the writers can also dissect my lyrics now. So far I have only written the lyrics to one song, Ocean Spray. And that was more or less a coincidence.
This time I needed to think about what I wanted to say from the beginning. For a long time that was unimaginable for me. Nick and Richey always wrote about things that they understood. In contrast, I write things in order to understand them and not because I understood them. That's an example for my insecurity."

There is also a review of The Great Western, giving the album 4.5 out of 6 points, but the text is a bit cryptic!?

Full-sized scans (yousendit): Article, Review

Last edited by unger76; 18-07-2006 at 08:13.
Old 18-07-2006, 08:19
I live to fall asleep

*tries to read review*

eek! I'm crap at German!

thanks for posting

"det är alltid svårt att vara radikal när man inte är radikal som de andra"
Old 18-07-2006, 08:21
deafmute

Thank you for posting this!
my German is also crap.
Old 18-07-2006, 14:42

Thank you so much
Old 18-07-2006, 16:10

thanks, lets hope he gets some other good press overhere or at least some attention...but its 4.5 out of 5 points
Old 18-07-2006, 16:18

i need a new avatar
Old 18-07-2006, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGreenthumb
...but its 4.5 out of 5 points
Well, they explain it with a maximum of 6 stars ("exzellent") to 1 star ("schlecht") on the first reviews page. Maybe they don't give it often but it's there.
m
Old 19-07-2006, 04:24

oh...okay, i just saw the stars at the end of the article...
Old 19-07-2006, 10:05
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unger76

There is also a review of The Great Western, giving the album 4.5 out of 6 points, but the text is a bit cryptic!?
Hmm, I tried translating it myself, but my German's not very good, and I was struggling a bit with some of his more elaborate imagery. This is what I got if anyone's interested (and no, some of it doesn't make much sense!)

Quote:
Calm, non preaching, a sound far from the street.

Dear James, I’m writing this in a hurry; the album has just arrived in the post and this review is due in the morning. ‘That’s No Way To Tell A Lie’ (an opener more lively than the entire last Manics album), that doesn’t give me a lot of time to appreciate this promo.

The words, I’ve discovered, were mainly written during the journey between London and Cardiff – a good rhythmic grounding compared with the problems he faces writing lyrics for the Manics (Nick/Richey: Here are the lyrics, they’re about alienation, anorexia and hand-grenades. James: But they’ve got no metre! R/J: War you already!”(?)), but they also stop more conveniently. Overall, the record sounds quite conventional, but the angry young man (although ‘Bad Boys and Painkillers’ has lyrics by Nicky) questions whether people are confused between Bryan Adams and the Argentine national football team, only because they both wear shoes and play in a stadium (?!?!). Stadium: That’s where most of your songs exist in their purest form, but only upright, because with your inclination for mid-tempo (instead), but these artful melodies and their delicate details are worth hearing in the living room. And above all outside in the summer, if you have poignant memories of warm breezes and the sun glittering on the water like it's broken glass.

‘Still A Long Way to Go’, is probably the song most instantly ‘over there’. For everyday life and trend terrorists, with almost everything reconciled. ‘Which Way To Kyffin?’ is dedicated to the 88-year old Welsh (NOT ENGLISH, dear record companies) landscape painter Kyffin Williams, a classical song professing love for a simple life from a wry joke to the realisation of images, as if I had dreamt it.

Such a brief review hardly does this record justice, but the honest themes are addressed considerably. I’ll admit I didn’t have a great deal of time to listen to your album, but it delivered instantly.

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 19-07-2006, 10:58

thanks¡¡
Old 30-01-2010, 19:28
Builder of routine

is there any possibility to get the link, please?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23
Desire on its knees

+1

Vienna 28/04/2012

Prague 14/05/2014
Old 30-03-2010, 19:17
Knowlede Is Power

Finally I got my copy and was able to scan the article and the album review for you:

Article

album review
(Michael Sailer who reviewed the album was singer of German band "The Comics" who supported the Manics in 1993)
Old 31-03-2010, 06:21
Desire on its knees

great, Thank U very much

Vienna 28/04/2012

Prague 14/05/2014